Spyderco 2019 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Re: Spyderco 2019 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

Post by Unadan »

Sage 5 LW coming soon? Or not until next year?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

My question is simple and my complaint valid, why are we having such an overly hard time getting desirable knives?

This trend in 2019 is not something I am willing to support any longer. My last 5 purchases of knives have gone to Buck and Cold Steel. If things continue as they have I do not see this trend changing.

Just one voice, where one speaks up, many remain silent yet do the same.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:35 pm
My question is simple and my complaint valid, why are we having such an overly hard time getting desirable knives?

This trend in 2019 is not something I am willing to support any longer. My last 5 purchases of knives have gone to Buck and Cold Steel. If things continue as they have I do not see this trend changing.

Do what you must. You think that Sal and HIS company's employees will speed up projects and processes just because you and some other impatient individuals (I could've used many other nouns here) put such posts here? Seriously?

Grow up, or...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

If they waited to make more of each model it would be delayed that much more and then a different set of people complain. Pick your poison
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'm going to start using this to preface all my Internet communications.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Can we keep the moans, gripes, and complaints elsewhere? I check this thread to see when new knives have been released.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

archangel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 am

Do what you must. You think that Sal and HIS company's employees will speed up projects and processes just because you and some other impatient individuals (I could've used many other nouns here) put such posts here? Seriously?

Grow up, or...
I do not think anything will change, nor did I write anything about speeding up projects and processes. I can however see that I failed to adequately describe what it is I am certain others besides myself are objecting to.

Since the latest sprint run is the Shaman in Cruwear and is selling out as soon as it is in stock according to reports here on this site and the whole of 2019 has gone this way, by and large, I thought it understood, what I will explain next is for the sake of clarity.

In 2019 we have had some very nice sprint run items released by Spyderco for example the 20CV PM2 by DLT Trading.

There was a mad rush to get it due to earlier sprint runs of other sprint run knives, with other companies selling out so swiftly.

Very few were produced all were sold at a fair price by DLT. Many here on this forum tried and failed to obtain one.

I obtained one, two in fact and gifted the second one to someone I found worthy, and yes I have done this in the past, with forum members here, on this site whom I felt significantly contributed to the education of all.

Rest assured you are not in the pipeline for consideration.

At any rate I am not in favor of this manner of marketing and have voted with my wallet on the last few sprint runs and have lost the desire to buy other dribbled out production knives like the smock and spydiechief second CQI Incarnation because the spirit for the hobby has grown damp, the enthusiasm for the hobby with Spyderco waning due to the above described marketing conditions.

I figure let the people who are really wanting something so bad to go through the hassle of attempting to buy on a maxed out server do so rather to add to the stress for something I just do not need that badly.

As for your impotent remark about growing up or... well that is very uncivilized of you, please do try to display better manners, if you cannot, then I ask you to refrain from personably addressing and attacking me, good day to you sir or madam whatever the case may be.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doeswhatever,.

Sorry you feel that way. I get the feeling that you believe we somehow choose to be slow? These aren't hamburgers we're producing, they are highly complicated highly functional pieces of cutlery and I assure you we are doing the best we can. We run 24/5. We work with makers in Japan, Taiwan Italy, China and we produce in Golden. All of the designs are driven by Eric, Mike, Peter, Doug and myself. We re all working as hard as we can to create and deliver product for you. Most projects take a year or more to go through all of the phases from drawing to production, and some like the Shaman, even longer. We are always open to suggestions, though please keep in mind that we are manufacturing company and things are not always as easy as they appear to be.

sal
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

If you enjoy the vast variety of knives offered by Spyderco, you can't complain too much about the limited availability at times.

Spyderco might have the largest catalogue of knives actively in production in the industry, which allows them to serve niche corners of the hobby, work with lesser known makers, innovate new locks and blade steels, test out odd designs noone else would touch, etc. There are almost countless benefits to this way of doing business, but one of the few drawbacks is not being able to meet the demand for models that become very popular. It's just the way it is. You want better availability? They could just focus on making 10 different models, but many people would miss out on so many knives they love.

I for one am pleased they are always experimenting and pushing the envelope, all while keeping the classics alive for their dedicated followers. Chapparal LW is a massive hit, but they haven't discontinued the Delica either. They could cancel one and make twice as much of the other, but again, many people would be disappointed.

If you're not fond of this approach, that's fine, but I don't think they're holding back on a knife you're interested in for any kind of underhanded reasons. I could be wrong though?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:42 pm
Hi Doeswhatever,.

Sorry you feel that way. I get the feeling that you believe we somehow choose to be slow? These aren't hamburgers we're producing, they are highly complicated highly functional pieces of cutlery and I assure you we are doing the best we can. We run 24/5. We work with makers in Japan, Taiwan Italy, China and we produce in Golden. All of the designs are driven by Eric, Mike, Peter, Doug and myself. We re all working as hard as we can to create and deliver product for you. Most projects take a year or more to go through all of the phases from drawing to production, and some like the Shaman, even longer. We are always open to suggestions, though please keep in mind that we are manufacturing company and things are not always as easy as they appear to be.

sal
Hi Sal sorry to be giving this impression, let me try again. Where I see the fault is not enough of the sprint run orders being purchased in sufficient quantity to satisfy demand. Now I know it is impossible to rub a crystal ball and know what demand will be. Risk of being in retail business.

Even someone on the outside like myself can see however that the demand for sprint runs is high and they run out swiftly as long as a retail outlet does not jack up the prices too high and have expensive shipping.

So in my perception (admittedly limited) the retailers who are selling sprint runs and exclusives need to be ordering them in larger quantities as it is getting proven over and over again the interest is not only sufficient to warrant it but so is the willingness to purchase the sprint runs and exclusives. It does not take a genius to know Para3 in M390 is a sell out and so is a Shaman in Cruware.

Seems pretty basic to me if you keep running out of what people want it is time to stock more of what people want to buy so you can profit by selling it.

I understand retailers are hesitant to stock merchandise and the many reasons why but the bottom line always comes down to this, you can't sell what you refuse to stock.

Funny now how the online retailers are becoming like the brick and mortar stores unwilling to stock merchandise by failing to order in sufficient quantities.

This is my point. Is it correct? I do not know but this is the perception I have.

Now if you say look the reason they only get so many is we have no capacity to provide more then that makes sense, but I have not read that.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think you make a fair point. But with the Shaman, I'm not sure the model was a proven hit before this Cruwear sprint was put into motion.
In terms of dealer exclusives, the new Bento PM2 K390 hasn't sold out yet and I have to wonder if it's because they placed a huge order. The selling price doesn't seem exorbitant.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm
I think you make a fair point. But with the Shaman, I'm not sure the model was a proven hit before this Cruwear sprint was put into motion.
In terms of dealer exclusives, the new Bento PM2 K390 hasn't sold out yet and I have to wonder if it's because they placed a huge order. The selling price doesn't seem exorbitant.
Hard to say with BBS from reading these forums there seems to be allot of people who will not do business with them Due to shipping and return policies.

Would not surprise me if they order large quantities and sit on them as that is a way of doing retail, order plenty and charge a sufficient price and shipping to make it worthwhile. This is what we used to do in the old days when Ma Bell was broken up with the telephone shop and services we owned long ago.

As for the cruwear sprint of the shaman not sure how popular the shaman is but cruwear plus popcorn would likely sell out also and deservedly so for so many reasons.

I find it fairly easy to predict demand by watching these forums and first hand experience jockeying to get mine before they sell out.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Spyderco could try to make bigger runs of what they predict will be popular if they don't do that already.
Following the insatiable demand for the Shaman, there will surely be many dealer exlusives. I imagine a dealer can order as many as they want.
And if Spyderco wanted to, they could follow up this Sprint with a similar run such as Cruwear with green micarta scales. Of course it wouldn't happen overnight.
I don't see a big problem here. We all have too many knives. Spyderco has some big hits and they have some big losers. I'm glad that there's such strong demand for many of their limited runs.
sal

Post by sal »

Dealers and distributors that order exclusives watch this forum. That's how they decide what and how many to build. They also have the ability to reorder the same model more than once.

Sprints like the Shaman Cruwear began some time ago. Parts had to be machined, etc. Micarta testing alone took many months. I've been speaking with management about making more pieces in a sprint run. Not all of our models move out quickly and slow moving inventory is always a PITA.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Gotta point out the cruwear native 5 exclusive is also still available. Given how much cruwear talk and demand has been going on lately, thats a bit of a suprise. Im just saying the predictability of the success rate of a sprint or exclusive is probably very difficult. Even for people who are "in the know".
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks Sal always appreciate learning more.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

No one is obliged to join the sprint run bunfight: I won’t be a better person for having a pocket knife in cruwear rather than s30v (if I get one!), just the same person with a pocket knife where 99.999% of people won’t know or care about the difference.

The sprints and exclusives are for collectors, and some degree of scarcity is essential for that model to work, in the same way that good models have to be discontinued every year as part of the conveyor belt of new and exciting production models: that’s just the way it is.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Gotta point out the cruwear native 5 exclusive is also still available. Given how much cruwear talk and demand has been going on lately, thats a bit of a suprise. Im just saying the predictability of the success rate of a sprint or exclusive is probably very difficult. Even for people who are "in the know".
A lot of people passed on those because of the smooth black g10 scales. I like cruwear and the native enough that I bought one knowing I'd replace the scales eventually. But that turns a $130 knife into a $200 knife, so it's a choice not everyone will make. You just never know, so I can see why dealers and spyderco want to err on the side of being conservative. Makes much more financial sense.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Fng5

Post by Fng5 »

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi Sal sorry to be giving this impression, let me try again. Where I see the fault is not enough of the sprint run orders being purchased in sufficient quantity to satisfy demand.

-snip-

LOL, thats one of the main points of sprints and exclusives, limited units produced!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:01 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:41 pm
A lot of people passed on those because of the smooth black g10 scales. I like cruwear and the native enough that I bought one knowing I'd replace the scales eventually. But that turns a $130 knife into a $200 knife, so it's a choice not everyone will make. You just never know, so I can see why dealers and spyderco want to err on the side of being conservative. Makes much more financial sense.

Agreed. I'm about as big a Cruwear fan boy as they come, and I passed on all of the KC Cruwear exclusives because of the smooth scales. If those would have all been an earth tone PEEL PLY G10, they would have all sold out very quickly and I would have bought one of each. They also don't hype their exclusives with a week lead to a specific drop date/time. That plays a lot into the FOMO pack mentality of the hours/minutes/seconds sellouts at other dealers.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red