Which Spyderco fits you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Conan

Re: Which Spyderco fits you?

Post by Conan »

Pm2, Manix2 and Gayle Bradly1. When it must be small and light, the DF.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

UKPK, Urban, Calypso Jr, Caly3
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Military
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BobABQ

Post by BobABQ »

I love how the Navigator and Meercat fit in my hands. The Dragonfly 2 does a good job but I wish it filled the hand a little better.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The Bushcraft fits best for me as it has the most comfortable handle by far. No folder comes close to it.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
embry386

Post by embry386 »

The old-style Rescue with the handle shaped like the Mariner's, and the slightly newer-style Rescue with the handle shaped like the Atlantic Salt's. Super awesome :)
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The Military 100%
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

nothing beats the manix 2 for me when it comes to ergonomics.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Their isn’t just one, haha.I finally got it down to the Eight that are perfect for me and my needs, that I will never part with. Military, Police 4, GB2, Advocate, Rhino, Kapara, Junction and Bradley Bowie.

Edit- I apparently can’t count.
Josh
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica 4 (frn handle) for my EDC pocket knife.

Good choice of word. Fit (ergonomics & function) is going to be different for everyone since we all have different size/shape hand/bodies and uses; and not all being the same is what makes the world go round and why we have so many choices.

In the world of O/U's, one famous B brand results in scores of 10-12 in my hands while the other famous B brand results in scores of 20-24 which is consistent with my scores from other autos and pumps. Both the B guns are excellent product, but one "fits" and the other doesn't (this is based on a sample of 2 of one B brand and 5 of the other B brand).

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Surprised no mention of the Stretch. It's a great fit, great in the hand. The Aqua Salt is hard to beat.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Of all the knives I own (military, pm2, para3, positron, dragonfly, endura, etc) my fav is the delica. Not by analysis, but by what i carry most often daily. My next is the native. I really like the pm2 as it has more usable blade but... it's a bit bulky in pocket in comparison. I think the endura would be a fave in ffg but mine is sabre ground... more knives needed it seems...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 am
Of all the knives I own (military, pm2, para3, positron, dragonfly, endura, etc) my fav is the delica. Not by analysis, but by what i carry most often daily. My next is the native. I really like the pm2 as it has more usable blade but... it's a bit bulky in pocket in comparison. I think the endura would be a fave in ffg but mine is sabre ground... more knives needed it seems...
Endura in ffg is a MUST if you like it in sabre grind already and like the Delica in ffg!! Good thing: The basic frn / VG 10 Endura is great and won´t ruin you financially most likely.. ;)

Concerning the Delica: You know what I´d like to see? A maximum cutting edge version of it: The blade extended right to the end of the handle when closed, maybe even trade the choil for even more edge (like in the Centofante, which is a backlock also);
Why? I sometimes like the Delica ergos even over those of the Endura, but my personal needs require a longer cutting edge sometimes.
Lengthening the edge as described would make for a Delica-sized knife featuring almost an Endura edge... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

It's funny when I use the delica to open boxes or like that, I typically hold it with my forefinger on the blunt part. But harder cutting (like when I was at the archery range and needed to sharpen some sticks into pegs to tack a target onto the backstop) I only hold the handle part. In these scenarios your suggestion would work excellently.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:30 pm
It's funny when I use the delica to open boxes or like that, I typically hold it with my forefinger on the blunt part. But harder cutting (like when I was at the archery range and needed to sharpen some sticks into pegs to tack a target onto the backstop) I only hold the handle part. In these scenarios your suggestion would work excellently.
Imho not only in these scenarios. The one thing my single Not-Spyderco-Folder - the Minigriptilian- showed me: To choke up on the actual edge, even if It's really sharp, is not that much of a problem... I noticed that you are into HEMA, so think of a murderstroke with a longsword, where you grab the BLADE with both hands...

Choils are fine and comfortable, but not absolutely necessary to choke up imho.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Fair enough. And i have actually halfsworded a sharp longsword against cutting targets barehanded but never one as sharp as an ffg delica lol.
I imagine i would be reluctant to do it in any hard-use cutting, probably fine for opening boxes...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm
Fair enough. And i have actually halfsworded a sharp longsword against cutting targets barehanded but never one as sharp as an ffg delica lol.
I imagine i would be reluctant to do it in any hard-use cutting, probably fine for opening boxes...
I am really interested in medieval history and also HEMA, unfortunately only theoretically, never got to actually practice it. While I know that half swording is grabbing the blade with ONE hand for among other things more precise tip control, am I also right that the murderstroke is when you reverse the sword, grab it with both hands at the blade and strike with the crossguard? I'll stop here, for it get's undenyable off topic... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm
And let me add: Choking up on the actual edge is in my experience not a problem even in hard-use cutting, as long as you hold your finger steady and do not move it horizontally; and the more you do it in a way of pinching the blade and not really pressing your finger against the edge, the safer it gets. I do that all the time when using fixed blades. It´s not that I do not like finger choils, but I think they are overrated.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Yeh the "murder stroke" is turning it around and hitting with the handle. It's risky with a sharps if it slips you can get cut. Halfswording a thrust with the point is easier I've done that into archery targets, and other inanimate targets, barehanded.
On pocketknife blades... I'd be afraid my hand slip in hard use and produce a draw cut. You are braver than i.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

There are a few.. the Millie, civilian, original para & the Persians all fit my hands perfectly.
... that police 4 is on my list this year.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK