Spyderco Maintenance Techniques

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Spyderco Maintenance Techniques

Post by spyderg »

Be careful if you use nail polish. My auto body mechanic friend told me never to use nail polish on scratches on a car as it’s corrosive and will cause the scratch to rust under the nail polish. I don’t know if it would have the same effect on stainless screws but they can rust as ppl have shown in testing the salt series. I would imagine there are some nail polish types that aren’t as bad but personally I think I’ll stick to locktite. The bottle I bought like 6 years ago is still 1/3 full so it’s not like it’s a big expense.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Crux

Post by Crux »

How did you manage to go through 2/3 a bottle of locktite in only six years???
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ferider

Post by ferider »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:31 pm
Military -- T15 for pivot, T9 for scales, T6 for clip
Tom, I use the same scale screws for the 2017+ Military as for Manix and PM[23], 4-40, T8, 100 degree head. < 2017 Militaries use T6 scale screws, and fluted Titanium Militaries use button head scales screws (T6 and T8 respectively, depending on age). And I love CLP when rifle cleaning, but don't use it for brass washers.

Here are my tips of the top of my head, might have more later:

- Don't touch screws if possible. Use tweezers. (Loktite will be mostly useless when screws have finger grease or oil)
- loktite needs to dry 24h. You have about 5 min to adjust your knife, then don't touch it over night.
- PM2 action: you can tighten the RH clip side Pivot and lock pin screws. Adjust both LH Pivot and stop pin screw together for action tuning.
- Manix 2 action: you can tighten the LH side Pivot, and adjust via RH pivot screw.
- Manix 2 lock stick: probably means your backspacer screws are too tight. There is a Youtube video which shows how to apply pressure on the backspacer when tightening these screws, to remove the lock stick. This works, but I won't tell you more as I don't want to be responsible when you cut yourself :)
- PM2 titanium scales and Ti back-spacer basically don't go together.
- PM2 horizontal blade play: only means your pivot is too loose.
- I center the PM2 differently: first I assemble and tighten the RH clip side, then I put the LH liner and scale on. Then adjust the LH Pivot and action, then I tighten stop pin scale screw, then the rear scale screw. Almost all PM2 will center properly like that.
- to mount together back-locks, like Endura, Native, Chinook 1-3, etc.: use zip ties to put the lock under tension, then move the blade until you can screw in Pivot screws.
- The hardest knife to assemble/disassemble is the Szabo. You might want to stay away from that one.

Roland.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Crux wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 pm
How did you manage to go through 2/3 a bottle of locktite in only six years???
It’s lasted longer than I thought it would actually. It’s a small bottle and I use it on things other than knife screws :eek: such as Airsoft guns and my kids toys. I’ve had it tip over and spill out too :( .
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Crux

Post by Crux »

Makes sense. I was thinking that you must take apart thousands of knives.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:59 am
Be careful if you use nail polish. My auto body mechanic friend told me never to use nail polish on scratches on a car as it’s corrosive and will cause the scratch to rust under the nail polish. I don’t know if it would have the same effect on stainless screws but they can rust as ppl have shown in testing the salt series. I would imagine there are some nail polish types that aren’t as bad but personally I think I’ll stick to locktite. The bottle I bought like 6 years ago is still 1/3 full so it’s not like it’s a big expense.
Hey spyderg,

I certainly don’t dismiss your friends claims but I am sceptical because I have not experienced any corrosion of threads (male or female) even though I’ve used nail polish on numerous non stainless scope mount and ring screws over the years. Maybe I’ve been lucky? :)

As I understand it nail polish is an organic lacquer dissolved in a solvent. Neither of which is corrosive to the best of my knowledge. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
FK

Post by FK »

Search the MSDS specs for Nail Polish,,,,, a very complex salad of chemicals,,, depending upon the manuf. and color.

Regards,
FK
agony

Post by agony »

Mstach07 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 am
Mstach07 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:11 am
Wanting to share a few tips that I find useful for routine maintenance of my Spyderco knives. I kindly ask for you to post/share/discuss your methods as well. The intent is to help new Spyderco owners gain the confidence to perform similar tasks.

3. Refreshen G10 scales: Boiling water technique. Remove scales from liners. Clean with rubbing alcohol to degrease. Boil water, insert scales for approximately 2-3 minutes. Cool with cold tap water. This will remove any pocket clip marks and refreshen the G10 very close to factory new.
Though this way is certainly effective, for people who aren't confident or just don't want to take their knife apart...you can also use a children's tootbrush, warm water and a drop of Dawn liquid soap and scrub away at the scales. I just recently did this with my Para 3 with the natural scales, those scales look brand new once again.
Good point Rick. It is easier.
I also use a mr. clean eraser sponge.
I consider the boil method “sharpens” the g10 and removes pocket clip detent, something that cleaning doesn’t do. It must be something with the heat.
This is a cool tip, thanks for sharing. Do you notice any warping of the scales at all when sticking them into a pot at rolling boil?
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

This is a cool tip, thanks for sharing. Do you notice any warping of the scales at all when sticking them into a pot at rolling boil?

No, I have not noticed any warping.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm constantly looking for better lubricants. Lately in the past year or so I've been leaning toward dry lubricants. I've found that the "BP-2000" that is made by Sentry Solutions along with their wet lube "TUF-GLIDE" are both a great combo for various types of lubrication needs. Like I said I'm kind of getting away from wet lubes because they don't seem to last as long with folders you carry daily in your pocket.

I think these new generation dry lubes are going to be the better selection in the long haul. Also with cleaners and polishes I'm still using FLITZ along with "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser. If I ever find any polishes or cleaners that work better than those two I'll switch immediately. Also I like using FLITZ's polishing cloth too. At first I thought those polishing cloths were a rip off until I started using that one that FLITZ makes and I'm here to tell you all that they do really work much better than I ever figured that they would.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Is there a best lubricant for Teflon washers? I used silicon wd40 on my oroborous (after a thorough clean) and I felt it made the action smoother, although not quicker.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Has anybody ever heard of the brand name “AVEN” I have a little set a machinist gave me but don’t know about their quality.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

agony wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:32 pm
Mstach07 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 am
Mstach07 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:11 am
Wanting to share a few tips that I find useful for routine maintenance of my Spyderco knives. I kindly ask for you to post/share/discuss your methods as well. The intent is to help new Spyderco owners gain the confidence to perform similar tasks.

3. Refreshen G10 scales: Boiling water technique. Remove scales from liners. Clean with rubbing alcohol to degrease. Boil water, insert scales for approximately 2-3 minutes. Cool with cold tap water. This will remove any pocket clip marks and refreshen the G10 very close to factory new.
Though this way is certainly effective, for people who aren't confident or just don't want to take their knife apart...you can also use a children's tootbrush, warm water and a drop of Dawn liquid soap and scrub away at the scales. I just recently did this with my Para 3 with the natural scales, those scales look brand new once again.
Good point Rick. It is easier.
I also use a mr. clean eraser sponge.
I consider the boil method “sharpens” the g10 and removes pocket clip detent, something that cleaning doesn’t do. It must be something with the heat.
I was reading this and just had an idea... If G-10 is an oil based plastic that is. I saw on YouTube where a bunch of people are using heat guns ( they kinda look like a hairdryer and work the same way just more heat) to freshen up their plastic fender flares. You think that may work on G-10 also?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
agony

Post by agony »

Mstach07 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm

I tried this today with a set of PM2 scales.
Amazing results! The pocket clip indentation was completely gone, and the area under the pocket clip tension also looked brand new.
Thanks again for the tip!
Now I'll try it again with some older beat up benchmade scales that need rehab'd.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

agony wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:33 pm
Mstach07 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm

I tried this today with a set of PM2 scales.
Amazing results! The pocket clip indentation was completely gone, and the area under the pocket clip tension also looked brand new.
Thanks again for the tip!
Now I'll try it again with some older beat up benchmade scales that need rehab'd.
Great tip! :) :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin