Thinking about the Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Thinking about the Shaman

Post by Tucson Tom »

I don't own a Shaman, at least not yet. It has been on my "next knife to get" list for some time, but keeps getting bumped by sprints and exclusives that need to be grabbed while they are available. During a short break in the action, I was able to purchase the Police 4. Being a regular production knife, the Shaman can wait. Maybe that is the case. There is always the risk it will go on the discontinued list like the Manix Backlock.

Right now I have a credit at one of our favorite knife sellers, and I am tempted to use it to buy a Shaman, but I still have cold feet. Some observations follow.

Most of my purchases are for reason of interesting steels, and I have been buying multiples of old favorites like the Paramilitary 2 when someone makes a run with an exciting steel. The Shaman on the other hand intrigues me by reason of the knife design. Some people call it a Native on steroids, and if that is true it is good since I like the Native. It looks to me like a big Native, but with a compression lock and with a contoured G10 handle. The contoured G10 along with the extra beefy 0.145 inch thick blade are what attracts me.

This may sound like heresy, but another knife that tempts me for the same money would be the Benchmade Griptillian in the G10 model with 20CV blade steel. The comparison is interesting and worthwhile I think. Both are pretty much the same price. I have owned (and either lost or given away) two Griptillians in the past, so I know I like the feel of the knife in hand. My previous models were the affordable FRN handled model with 154CM. Just for the record, the only Griptillian I would consider would be the version with the Spyderco like round hole and sheepsfoot blade.

This brings me to two key points:

The first is a suggestion for Spyderco. The FRN griptillian is an affordable knife with a cross section not unlike the Shaman -- contoured at any rate Spyderco could consider doing some FRN handles like this that are not simply textured flat slabs. It is my understanding that what adds to the cost of the Shaman is the additional labor and time to produce the contoured G10 handle.

The second is a comment on the steel. The main thing that has held me back from buying the Shaman is the S30V steel. Now I know that S30V is fine stuff, and buying the Manix Backlock with S30V is what really changed my attitude towards S30V. Nonetheless, as I ponder spending the same money for the Grip versus the Shaman, being able to get the Grip in 20CV nearly tips the balance in that direction. Now maybe I am a weirdo and untypical of the general market, so bear that in mind. I have to say that if the Shaman was done with 20CV, or better yet, CTS 204P, it would be a slam dunk and I would have bought one already. S30V is fine stuff, but a lot of people are just bored with it.
SG89

Re: Thinking about the Shaman

Post by SG89 »

Maybe just wait for the cruwear shaman sprint?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Never handled a shaman, but I have a 550-1 grip and I like it a lot. I will say that the factory edge was annoyingly thick and needed heavy reprofiling before it cut well. It was around .030 bte and 28dps when I got it. Ymmv.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I own the DLC shaman and I believe out of all the pocket knives I own this one is the most confidence inspiring.

With the heavy blade stock as you pointed out, and the ultra refined ergonomic handle any heavy cutting task can be done with ease.
Now I don't cut PVC Pipe or Copper Cables with this thing, but I do cut a lot of cardboard, fruit, and everything in between. This knife makes me
feel like I can charge at a boar, but I do know many have withheld from purchasing due to the S30V steel.
People are "bored" with it, but to be honest I am relatively new to the high end knife game. My first paramilitary 2 purchase was back in March and before then I mostly used budget knives of a wide variety. With that said I am impressed with how easy S30V is to sharpen, and it has held up reasonably well on my PM2 considering I used it the first month to do some light wood work. I didn't get any chips, just some light rolls that all buffed out in the Sharpmaker.

As Sal pointed out in another forum (not exact words), "there is a lot out there, sticking with one brand get's boring". He is certainly right, the knife market is overflowing with options. If steel choice is a big factor, and I know for most of us it is... I'd go with the griptilian.. I was rather impressed with the Axis lock, but I do not like the feel of the handle. The stonewash version of the Shaman with a 15% Ebay coupon is way more than justified. If you need to save a little money, and don't want to wait for the inevitable Sprint run I say get yourself a Griptilian.

Also, I should have pointed ou...t I love the compression lock on the Shaman but some folks have an issue with the finger choil "Bumping" their finger on closure. You learn to work with it in my opinion, it doesn't always hit my finger and if it does I figure that is the price to pay for having a Goliath that fits stealthily in the pocket.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Spyderco would be making a mistake to discontinue the Shaman. If it isn't selling like they hoped, it's for a few basic reasons.

1. Price for s30v
2. Not enough people know about this model. All you'd have to do is get more people to hold that knife and it'll make them want one.

I would LOVE a Shaman in pakkawood and V4e or 4v. Micarta and Cruwear would sell well too. I think most people would rather pay $220 for EXACTLY what they want before paying $180 for run-of-the-mill materials.

Sorry s30v, you're cool and all, but...
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:04 am

2. Not enough people know about this model. All you'd have to do is get more people to hold that knife and it'll make them want one.
Can only second that word for word. Stated that in two previous posts in other threads already: The Shaman was a BIG surprise for me. By it´s specs REALLY not the knife I should like; got one in hands and almost couldn´t put it away again (was not mine, unfortunately ;) ) Just feels perfect!
Also cuts very well, despite the thick bladestock; and the actual edge is just long enough for most tasks (normally I do not like choils taking away huge amounts of cutting edge). But again, what´s really fasinating for me is just that solid, comfortable feel in hand.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

If only spyderco hadn't raised the price so substantially... I remember when the Shaman was $149.95 on Blade HQ. Had it stayed around that price I think it would have sold like crazy. The increase to $180+ was a deal breaker for a lot of people. But it's arguably worth that much considering everything else in the high-end knife world. And I know spyderco isn't exactly trying to price gouge, they have good business ethics. It's just unfortunate.

I cannot WAIT for a sprint run. Please Sal, give us hope!
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Shaman got my attention right out of the gate. I nearly snagged one. But I don’t think it aligns well with my actual needs. A big thick handle like that is great if you’re doing a lot of cutting. For people like me that just cut a few things here and there there isn’t much benefit to a thick, heavy knife with a thick blade.

I wish we’d stop looking at steels as a price point kind of thing. I think it’s counterproductive.

Oh yeah, the price is bonkers.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am
I wish we’d stop looking at steels as a price point kind of thing. I think it’s counterproductive.
I normally don't (for lack of a better word) complain about pricing, but this particular model begs for a different steel IMO, and the price would be much more justified if it had such a steel. I think Vanadis 4e, 4v, cruwear, etc are the steels this model begs for, as is. But the ergonomics are so incredible, a sprint with a thinner blade in a high wear resistant steel would be great as well. Like you said it's built for extended use.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I get that manufacturing capacity is a thing, but it's amazing to me that we've not had a single Shaman sprint yet. M4. PLEASE M4.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

NickShabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:06 pm
I get that manufacturing capacity is a thing, but it's amazing to me that we've not had a single Shaman sprint yet. M4. PLEASE M4.
GREAT choice Nick. Can't go wrong with M4.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

NickShabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:06 pm

hey Nick, I enjoyed your last few videos (and the Techno 2 Dance Music Video) a lot! :p Have a great 2019 and I hope you still bring such quality content :)

May the next year bring you all the Shaman you desire, I admit a Micarta/Cruwear one would look (and perform) wonderfully for sure :cool:
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Micarta cruwear, that's all
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am
The Shaman got my attention right out of the gate. I nearly snagged one. But I don’t think it aligns well with my actual needs. A big thick handle like that is great if you’re doing a lot of cutting. For people like me that just cut a few things here and there there isn’t much benefit to a thick, heavy knife with a thick blade.
Than you're a lot like me. Shaman actually too thick in blade stock for my liking, too heavy, too little cutting edge for the overall length, nothing I'd NEED for my regular cutting (most people won't NEED a Shaman-like knife, I guess).
But the ergos when held are just more than convincing. Something about it that makes it hard to put it away again.
Still, didn't get one either. Just too expensive, even more so in Europe..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm holding out for the Chief personally. I know it's apples to oranges to a degree, but I want that little extra blade length + backlock more than I want factory contoured scales.

I am happy to see them rounding the scales of a production model though, even if that particular model isn't going in my pocket. It's something I hope to see them continue, especially with fixed blades.
:unicorn
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

The Shaman looks like the perfect EDC hard use knife.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Joey

Post by Joey »

My biggest issues are the size, and blade steel. It’s big, so it’s heavy. S30V is a fine steel, but we’ve been spoiled. Having said that, I don’t have a knife like it so I’d love one! Just waiting on teh sprint... Or a salt! I don’t need 100% rust proof knives, but they’re certainly attractive since I am always afraid of rust.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

S30v is different for different runs and brands throughout history. Sometimes it's good, sometimes not. With a knife design like the Shaman, wanting something other than spyderco's s30v has nothing to do with being spoiled. The model is meant for something different.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
sal

Post by sal »

I understand that there are a few exclusives in-the-works for 2019.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

:D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb