How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Post by Wartstein »

Always thought that one day I would purchase a Dragonfly in VG10, considered it to be the perfect knife for clipping it in the waistband of my shorts while trail-running.

A recent thread made me look closer at the Chaparral lightweight, now I am not sure if this would maybe be the better choice for the intended purpose.
It is really not much longer when closed and though double the weight of the DF still light enough, while offering a lot more cutting edge. I do not know If it is even thinner in the handle than the DF, but assume so, cause the blade (and so the lockbar) is thinner stock for sure.

Only concern: When trailrunning, your knife (if you even carry one, I do of course ;) ) will be your only "tool" most times. So the blade could potentially face other tasks besides cutting, like (very minor) prying, poking holes in leather or scraping.
Cutting itself could include minor foodprep, that´s where the longer edge really comes in handy.

Do you think the Chap would be up to the task, or to delicate and lightly build? And is the CTS XHP maybe to brittle? Would the DF be the better choice? I´d really apreciate any input, though I am not in a hurry: Can´t afford another knife at the moment anyway.. ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Re: How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Post by vivi »

I use a Pacific Salt in this role. Being rust proof is a plus for IWB carry during sports, and the blade length makes it work better if I want to trim back a couple briars growing across hiking trails. It's a pretty stout blade and H1 has incredible toughness, so some light prying, chopping and batoning isn't a big deal to it. At 3oz it's light enough I don't mind carrying it IWB in running shorts. 3.5oz is about my limit for that if I'm being active.

Since you're looking at smaller, lighter models, I'd suggest considering the SE Salt 2, or the Salt Dragonfly. The Salt 2 would have a more robust tip for prying, while the Dragonfly is probably a little lighter.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:10 pm
I use a Pacific Salt in this role. Being rust proof is a plus for IWB carry during sports, and the blade length makes it work better if I want to trim back a couple briars growing across hiking trails. It's a pretty stout blade and H1 has incredible toughness, so some light prying, chopping and batoning isn't a big deal to it. At 3oz it's light enough I don't mind carrying it IWB in running shorts. 3.5oz is about my limit for that if I'm being active.

Since you're looking at smaller, lighter models, I'd suggest considering the SE Salt 2, or the Salt Dragonfly. The Salt 2 would have a more robust tip for prying, while the Dragonfly is probably a little lighter.
Thanks, thats good advice!
At the moment I carry in lack of alternatives Delica, Native 5 or sometimes my Minigrip IWB when running; Want definitely something slimmer, so among your suggestions it would be the DF (Salt);
But I´d be particullary interested in if you consider the Chap to be too less robust for the purpose? I know it does not come in SE (like the Salt), but that does not bother me..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
2v217

Post by 2v217 »

I edc an frn chaparral a lot and I've never run into anything I was not confident doing with it. I've also never had any trouble with xhp being brittle, I use my manix lw in xhp for some pretty hard use tasks at work frequently and never had any chipping.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I have the FRN Chaparral, and I think it would work very well for your purposes. Even though it is thin, I would not consider it delicate at all. CTX-XHP is a great all around stainless steel. It is tougher than VG-10, and not far behind H-1, so brittleness should not be a concern.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:17 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks, thats good advice!
At the moment I carry in lack of alternatives Delica, Native 5 or sometimes my Minigrip IWB when running; Want definitely something slimmer, so among your suggestions it would be the DF (Salt);
But I´d be particullary interested in if you consider the Chap to be too less robust for the purpose? I know it does not come in SE (like the Salt), but that does not bother me..
I like 2mm full flat grind thick blades very much for cutting things, but they are not very well suited to prying. While I prefer something larger and rust proof, if I were going to carry something smaller and in a regular stainless steel I see no reason to not go with the Chap.

I don't know that they're a whole lot thinner than a Delica though, maybe someone could provide you with a comparison photo?
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi summed it up pretty well, in terms of sweat and corrosion any salt model is a great choice.

On the other side of the coin, I carry the Chap LW every day along with another larger folder. It's not exactly delicate, but not really made for the possible harder use you could encounter while on the trail. If this is specifically for trail running I would opt for an SE model Salt knife of your choice. Dfly or even the Salt 2, which is what I have and is the same size as a Delica. Those serrations could be clutch in certain situations on a trail.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'll have a few comparison pics for you in a few minutes..

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Don't mind the crappy stovetop lighting :p You should be able to get the jist though.

3tbZ8TKh.jpg

trpY0E0h.jpg
xzp2MrKh.jpg

-Rick
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If you're worried about being stranded in the woods while trailrunning avoid serrated edges. Plain edge knives excel at Bushcraft type tasks compared to serrated edges. I'd take the Chaparral LW over a SE Salt model every time. Now a plain-edged Salt model would probably edge out the Chaparral LW.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm
If you're worried about being stranded in the woods while trailrunning avoid serrated edges. Plain edge knives excel at Bushcraft type tasks compared to serrated edges. I'd take the Chaparral LW over a SE Salt model every time. Now a plain-edged Salt model would probably edge out the Chaparral LW.
I have to 100% disagree. Unless you have a fixed blade/machete...which you wouldn't be running with, why on Earth would you prefer a plain edge over serrated?? SE is much more versatile! Can do everything a PE can do, a PE can't do everything a SE can. You don't need to make exact, precise cuts in the wild. If you come across some nasty vine/prickers/thick brush... you're telling me you'd rather have a fairly dainty PE like the Chaparral over something with teeth??

Sorry, can't wrap my head around this kind of logic, especially with no reasoning or examples behind it. Wouldn't want to be stuck in the woods with you!

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

I find PE can come out on top when the task is delicate, or if you’re looking for a clean cut. PE can also shave, so there’s that too. Personally I would agree with SE being more versatile, but I’ve heard it said twice today that SE can do everything PE can, and I don’t think that’s accurate at all, either. Both have advantages.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Joey wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm
I find PE can come out on top when the task is delicate, or if you’re looking for a clean cut. PE can also shave, so there’s that too. Personally I would agree with SE being more versatile, but I’ve heard it said twice today that SE can do everything PE can, and I don’t think that’s accurate at all, either. Both have advantages.
You still get that 1/4" or so of PE at the tip of the SE blade for precision cuts if needed. I'm talking strictly in an outdoors, wilderness setting as the OP mentioned. Precision cuts are probably not a nessecity. He's trail running, no need to shave.

9 times out of 10 for daily tasks I carry a PE, but this particular situation I would have an SE on me. That's just my 2 cents.

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

I shave while I trail run.... yeah I see your point :o . You do get a bit of PE for precision but as a general rule I would never say SE has an advantage over PE or vice versa. The only answer for me is to carry both in my opinion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Folks, thanks a lot to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions! I am really glad that I joined this forum.

/ As for the knife: In hindsight I guess I should have pointed out more precisely what I have in mind in my initial post: This blade would really just be intendet for shorter runs and IWB when I do not carry a trailrunning-pack (in that pack I bring a stouter Spydie and a small leatherman Squirt or Juice anyway).
So when running without a pack and for a shorter time it is very unlikely to get stuck in a real wilderness emergency-/bushcraft situation. Just want a slim, low profile knife for IWB when running, cause, well, first of all I like to carry a knife at all times ;) Sure, it could come to very light prying tasks or the like, but not in the sense of having to build a shelter and stuff like that.
To be honest: Many times I run up a to a mountain top and having a break in the sun I just whittle in a stick or something cause I love handling knifes. So another concern is if the Chap is sturdy enough for woodwork and It's steel suited for that...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:38 pm
Don't mind the crappy stovetop lighting :p You should be able to get the jist though.

3tbZ8TKh.jpg

trpY0E0h.jpg

xzp2MrKh.jpg
Thanks a lot for taking the time to take and post the pics! Helps a lot!So the Chap is indeed slimmer and shorter than the Salt or Delica. But due to the deep carry clip it probably carries as deep in the pocket I guess.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 pm
I have to 100% disagree. Unless you have a fixed blade/machete...which you wouldn't be running with, why on Earth would you prefer a plain edge over serrated?? SE is much more versatile! Can do everything a PE can do, a PE can't do everything a SE can. You don't need to make exact, precise cuts in the wild. If you come across some nasty vine/prickers/thick brush... you're telling me you'd rather have a fairly dainty PE like the Chaparral over something with teeth??

Sorry, can't wrap my head around this kind of logic, especially with no reasoning or examples behind it. Wouldn't want to be stuck in the woods with you!
Already posted this in another thread: When I was more into some bushcrafting, I liked carrying my comboedge Delica, cause the serrations really excel in making shavings/feathersticks for firestarting. Also when it comes down to cut down some wood more "brutally" and fast, they are very good. Not so much for finer, precise work.
In an emergency situation serrations are good also, as they will still cut when dull (or rather tear apart stuff than)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i also carry a pacific salt in my running shorts. the first thing i thought when i got mine in hand for the first time was that i couldn’t believe how light it was. it disappears in the waistband while still being long enough for me to not worry about it working it’s way out. it’s also big enough for me to be comfortable using it for last-ditch self defence in case i ran into some kind of predator. it’s not the knife i’d want in a survival situation, but i know enough to make it work and, even if i completely ruin it in the process, surviving would be worth the cost of the knife.
the dragonfly is a great little knife, but i’ve had concerns about losing it, and almost have a couple times. it’s really not big enough to push very far. it’s a great little knife to keep on you to pull out in the office when you don’t want to freak people out, but i would never take it into the wilderness as my only cutting tool. to be fair, i could probably make it work also, but i’d rather have a longer blade for almost every scenario.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like SE a lot, but it does not do everything better. PE can be sharpened way easier on makeshift items. Just saying.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:46 am
i also carry a pacific salt in my running shorts. the first thing i thought when i got mine in hand for the first time was that i couldn’t believe how light it was. it disappears in the waistband while still being long enough for me to not worry about it working it’s way out. it’s also big enough for me to be comfortable using it for last-ditch self defence in case i ran into some kind of predator. it’s not the knife i’d want in a survival situation, but i know enough to make it work and, even if i completely ruin it in the process, surviving would be worth the cost of the knife.
the dragonfly is a great little knife, but i’ve had concerns about losing it, and almost have a couple times. it’s really not big enough to push very far. it’s a great little knife to keep on you to pull out in the office when you don’t want to freak people out, but i would never take it into the wilderness as my only cutting tool. to be fair, i could probably make it work also, but i’d rather have a longer blade for almost every scenario.
Thanks for your reply, quite interesting! The pacicfic salt is exactly the same length as an Endura, if I remember correctly (though lighter?)?
I find even my combo-edge Delica, which I carry IWB by lack of alternatives when running, to be too LONG and bulky; Would prefer something even smaller and lighter; Don´t you feel that a knife that long as the Pacific salt interferes a bit too much with your moving legs / pelvis when carried IWB, especially uphill?

And thank you for your point, that the shorter a knife, the easyer it could work its way out when carried in waist band! Always thought the opposite way..

Lastly, I have to say again: On longer runs, that lead in "wilder" territory also, I carrry a trail-running-vest anyway, and keep one of my sturdier Spydies easyly accesible in a front pocket of the vest. So, thinking about it, I guess on short runs (up to two hours) it´s very unlikely where I live to get stuck in kind of a survival-situation. And for predators: There are rumors about a bear or wolf crossing my area like about every five years, so not a real concern. Watchdogs of remote farms make for a WAY bigger thread...
I guess its mostly about that I do not want to leave home without some Spyderco on me.. ;)