How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Post by ladybug93 »

where do you carry it in your waistband? i carry mine at around 3:30 and it never bothers me while running. it’s even okay there when doing ab workouts on the ground.

i don’t know that a shorter knife is more prone to creep out of your waistband in general, but the dragonfly is. the clip has it riding a little high for its size, so it doesn’t have enough left in the waistband or pocket to instill confidence for me. i’ve accidentally brought it out with whatever i reached in my pocket to retrieve and, in a few cases, didn’t even realize until i heard it hit the ground. don’t get me wrong, it’s a great knife and i love it, but i personally wouldn’t want it for your application. it could be perfect for you though.
as far as predators go, i’m more worried about bipedal predators than anything else. there aren’t really other predators for me to worry about where i live unless i’m in the water.

honestly, i’m the same and just want to have a spyderco on me. the pacific salt was my gateway back to spyderco (my first knife was a ladybug) when i found out i was moving to hawaii. i grew up swimming in the ocean and never felt i needed a knife on me, despite knowing all the dangers that lurk there. i also never ran with a knife. i only carry a knife during these times now because spyderco makes one that works well for me in those situations.

i haven’t been on a run since i got it, but i’m guessing my native salt will replace the pacific salt as my workout knife and the pacific salt will be my swimming knife. or maybe i’ll just carry both because i’m ridiculous.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Re: How delicate is the Chaparral really? And is it for trailrunning (waistband-carry)?

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:39 am
where do you carry it in your waistband? i carry mine at around 3:30 and it never bothers me while running. it’s even okay there when doing ab workouts on the ground.

i don’t know that a shorter knife is more prone to creep out of your waistband in general, but the dragonfly is. the clip has it riding a little high for its size, so it doesn’t have enough left in the waistband or pocket to instill confidence for me. i’ve accidentally brought it out with whatever i reached in my pocket to retrieve and, in a few cases, didn’t even realize until i heard it hit the ground. don’t get me wrong, it’s a great knife and i love it, but i personally wouldn’t want it for your application. it could be perfect for you though.
as far as predators go, i’m more worried about bipedal predators than anything else. there aren’t really other predators for me to worry about where i live unless i’m in the water.

honestly, i’m the same and just want to have a spyderco on me. the pacific salt was my gateway back to spyderco (my first knife was a ladybug) when i found out i was moving to hawaii. i grew up swimming in the ocean and never felt i needed a knife on me, despite knowing all the dangers that lurk there. i also never ran with a knife. i only carry a knife during these times now because spyderco makes one that works well for me in those situations.

i haven’t been on a run since i got it, but i’m guessing my native salt will replace the pacific salt as my workout knife and the pacific salt will be my swimming knife. or maybe i’ll just carry both because i’m ridiculous.
I strongly assume you´re a lot like me... ;) No ocean though where I live (Austria), just mountains and lakes. i
The Native salt will work great for you as a workout knife, if the Pacific salt did already. I have a Native 5 LW (not salt, no need for it in the climate I live) and for me it works much better as a waistband carry than my Endura (the latter beeing the same size as your pacific salt).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

FRN Dragonfly. It’s so light you won’t remember it’s there until you need it. The security of the clip also depends upon the fabric it’s clipped to. I have a roll of thin Kevlar twine for basic lanyard loops for my peace of mind.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Tbh, when I run, the most thing I'd need a knife for is for dogs, I've almost been attacked by dogs and have been attacked more then I can count, and never had a knife when it counted, have something that you would be confident you could fend off a dog attack.
When I have been attacked, the only thing that saved me was pushing the head out of the way to avoid being bitten and yelling at them, which I would have preferred a knife
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:07 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:46 am
i also carry a pacific salt in my running shorts. the first thing i thought when i got mine in hand for the first time was that i couldn’t believe how light it was. it disappears in the waistband while still being long enough for me to not worry about it working it’s way out. it’s also big enough for me to be comfortable using it for last-ditch self defence in case i ran into some kind of predator. it’s not the knife i’d want in a survival situation, but i know enough to make it work and, even if i completely ruin it in the process, surviving would be worth the cost of the knife.
the dragonfly is a great little knife, but i’ve had concerns about losing it, and almost have a couple times. it’s really not big enough to push very far. it’s a great little knife to keep on you to pull out in the office when you don’t want to freak people out, but i would never take it into the wilderness as my only cutting tool. to be fair, i could probably make it work also, but i’d rather have a longer blade for almost every scenario.
Thanks for your reply, quite interesting! The pacicfic salt is exactly the same length as an Endura, if I remember correctly (though lighter?)?
I find even my combo-edge Delica, which I carry IWB by lack of alternatives when running, to be too LONG and bulky; Would prefer something even smaller and lighter; Don´t you feel that a knife that long as the Pacific salt interferes a bit too much with your moving legs / pelvis when carried IWB, especially uphill?

And thank you for your point, that the shorter a knife, the easyer it could work its way out when carried in waist band! Always thought the opposite way..

Lastly, I have to say again: On longer runs, that lead in "wilder" territory also, I carrry a trail-running-vest anyway, and keep one of my sturdier Spydies easyly accesible in a front pocket of the vest. So, thinking about it, I guess on short runs (up to two hours) it´s very unlikely where I live to get stuck in kind of a survival-situation. And for predators: There are rumors about a bear or wolf crossing my area like about every five years, so not a real concern. Watchdogs of remote farms make for a WAY bigger thread...
I guess its mostly about that I do not want to leave home without some Spyderco on me.. ;)
I carry fixed blades on my belt, and folders IWB, between 3 and 4 o clock, and they never bother me. I find a Police or Manix XL comfortable to carry this way too.

If you carried on the front of your waistband I could see length being an issue, but tucked between your hip bone and butt I can't see it being an issue.

Weight is more of a concern for me when running and hiking. I'd carry a Pacific Salt over a stainless scaled delica, and my street bowie over my szabo folder, for that reason.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

My first thought was Salt 1 or 2, but since the Delica is bigger than you like, and they are the same size, that's not going to work. I would say Dragonfly Salt next. I'm sure the Chap is indeed robust and sturdy enough for the task though, if that is the one you like.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm
I have to 100% disagree. Unless you have a fixed blade/machete...which you wouldn't be running with, why on Earth would you prefer a plain edge over serrated?? SE is much more versatile! Can do everything a PE can do, a PE can't do everything a SE can. You don't need to make exact, precise cuts in the wild. If you come across some nasty vine/prickers/thick brush... you're telling me you'd rather have a fairly dainty PE like the Chaparral over something with teeth??

Sorry, can't wrap my head around this kind of logic, especially with no reasoning or examples behind it. Wouldn't want to be stuck in the woods with you!
Serrated edges excel in cutting fibrous materials. I carried one as an EMT and Army Medic with the 101st Airborne. Great for seatbelts, cordage, and slingloads.

Not so great cutting medical tape & bandages - I used a plain edge for that.

Wilderness Med course - used a plain edge

Various Bushcraft courses - used a plain edge

Cub Scout, and later Boy Scout leader - used a plain edge. Serrated edges didn't do as well on teaching whittling

You don't need to make precise cuts in the wild? Be real hard to carve out the notches for a Figure 4 Deadfall using a serrated edge.

Using either a SE Dragonfly or a PE Chaparral to get out of vines/brush will be a tedious affair regardless of the edge. As you said, that's where machetes come into play.

https://youtu.be/ehjbNLy387k

There's a video by Mors Kochanski on knife selection since you asked for reasons/examples - I didn't see any serrated edges.

As for being stuck in the woods with me. Well I can be a pretty **** charming if people aren't annoying me with snarky comments.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:07 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:46 am
I carry fixed blades on my belt, and folders IWB, between 3 and 4 o clock, and they never bother me. I find a Police or Manix XL comfortable to carry this way too.

If you carried on the front of your waistband I could see length being an issue, but tucked between your hip bone and butt I can't see it being an issue.

Weight is more of a concern for me when running and hiking. I'd carry a Pacific Salt over a stainless scaled delica, and my street bowie over my szabo folder, for that reason.
Thanks for the reply. I always felt when running, especially steeper uphill (which I do a lot), knifes carried IWB between 3 and 4 o clock, could work their way out unnoticed by leg / hip movement. But never really tested that. So: If you had no issues doing so, I guess I´ll try next time.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If I had to carry a Chaparral every day for the rest of my life, I wouldn't feel "under-knifed".

I might feel that way if I could only carry the Dragonfly.

I own (and love) both knives, but the Chap is far more suitable as an "only" knife.

I've never felt like the Chap is delicate or fragile. I pretty much just use mine as I'd use any knife, and it keeps taking it. I have zero complaints about the XHP blade. It's the only knife I regularly carry with XHP, but I did carry the Manix 2 in XHP for a while to compare it "apples-to-apples" and I didn't find the edge any more fragile than s110v. It's not as tough as s90v or Maxamet, but it's fine--especially for a small blade like the Chap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:17 pm
If I had to carry a Chaparral every day for the rest of my life, I wouldn't feel "under-knifed".

I might feel that way if I could only carry the Dragonfly.

I own (and love) both knives, but the Chap is far more suitable as an "only" knife.

I've never felt like the Chap is delicate or fragile. I pretty much just use mine as I'd use any knife, and it keeps taking it. I have zero complaints about the XHP blade. It's the only knife I regularly carry with XHP, but I did carry the Manix 2 in XHP for a while to compare it "apples-to-apples" and I didn't find the edge any more fragile than s110v. It's not as tough as s90v or Maxamet, but it's fine--especially for a small blade like the Chap.
Now THAT´S what I wanted to hear! ;) Thank you, I guess my lightweight running knife will most likely the Chap and not the Dragonfly.. someday, don´t have the funds at the moment.. ;)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have found the DF not to be the most comfortable to carry IWB because of the sharp point of the handle at the butt. It tends to dig into the flesh. I find the S110V UKPK with its round butt and deep carry clip much more comfortable for in waistband carry. It hasn’t rusted (yet) but I do not cover it in sweat.

The Chaparral is a good size. It feels like a “small big knife” where the DF feels like a “small knife”.

In general, for in waistband carry while not excercising, I prefer:
- deep carry wire clip
- smooth thin scales, like ti
- good self close blade, like back lock
- very stainless blade, like S110V
- best options to date are: Pits, Chaparral ti, UKPK S110V
- for excercise, I suggest something more rust resistant, like H1 or LC200N
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:25 pm
I have found the DF not to be the most comfortable to carry IWB because of the sharp point of the handle at the butt. It tends to dig into the flesh. I find the S110V UKPK with its round butt and deep carry clip much more comfortable for in waistband carry. It hasn’t rusted (yet) but I do not cover it in sweat.

The Chaparral is a good size. It feels like a “small big knife” where the DF feels like a “small knife”.

In general, for in waistband carry while not excercising, I prefer:
- deep carry wire clip
- smooth thin scales, like ti
- good self close blade, like back lock
- very stainless blade, like S110V
- best options to date are: Pits, Chaparral ti, UKPK S110V
- for excercise, I suggest something more rust resistant, like H1 or LC200N
Thanks, that`s real good advice! Though rust seems not to be a problem for me, carried my Delica IWB many times on multi-hour-runs, no real issues there. So if CTS HXP is not way more prone to rust than VG 10, I should be ok..