Very Disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lodestar

Re: Very Disappointed

Post by Lodestar »

Just a suggestion for part of your issue (even though I know you don't want to deal with this on a new knife):

To loosen, you can try heating the pivot a bit with a hair dryer or some hot water to loosen it up, obviously with the latter you will need to blow out the knife with compressed air or flush it with alcohol/cleaner/oil.

If you are/were able to loosen your pivot and the action is not "drop free" or able to "flick" like you want:

Try to loosen the lock bar screws (smaller screws next to the pivot) and see if that frees up the action.

I did that on my first PM2 out of desperation after the pivot screw did almost nothing to free up the blade action to what I saw in videos (cue some cursing of spyderco and the koolaid drinking compression lock lovers on my part). For some reason that immediately and forever freed up the action, and made the blade drop free, even surprisingly after tightening the lock bar back to quite snug (cue, ahhh that's why people like the compression lock). Seriously a 10 second fix to massive frustration.

Would suggest this to anyone who has a PM2 with a "drop free" action that performs poorly, or less than others they have handled.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Sal, I put the knives in the mail to Golden yesterday. Thank you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brianv wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:48 am
Sal, I put the knives in the mail to Golden yesterday. Thank you.
If you'd care to report back how it went then, I'd apreciate that. Though I am sure Spyderco will take good care of you anyway. :)
Howsoever, enjoy your knife when it comes home to you again! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

I will report back when the knives get back to me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brianv wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I will report back when the knives get back to me.
That'd be nice!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Orianatristana2

Post by Orianatristana2 »

Firstly, you should calm down and then try to fingure out your issue, if not, you can try to contact to Admin via email directlt
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brianv,

Thanx, I'll alert customer service.

Hi Orianatristna,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Thank you Sal and thank you Spyderco! I received our two PM 2's back today and I couldn't be more pleased! The work was done very well, exactly the way I asked and returned within their turn around time. I think they went above and beyond what they had to do. Thank you again, Sal and Spyderco!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brianv wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 pm
Thank you Sal and thank you Spyderco! I received our two PM 2's back today and I couldn't be more pleased! The work was done very well, exactly the way I asked and returned within their turn around time. I think they went above and beyond what they had to do. Thank you again, Sal and Spyderco!
Thanks for reporting back, enjoy your knives! :)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I think you might be venting on the wrong issue here. I had a similar problem, but not knife related. The culprit: my screwdriver bit was harder than the screws, so it was damaging them in this same way. A proper screwdriver steel should be softer than the screws so that it wear itself out instead of the screw head. Its one of the few cases where you want your tool to wear instead.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Brianv wrote:

See I told you it'll be fixed.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Brianv wrote:
Thank you Sal and thank you Spyderco!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Brianv wrote:
returned within their turn around time
What is the current turn-around time for repairs? I have one in transit back to Spyderco.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

When I sent my knives back to Spyderco the turn around was three weeks.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Brianv wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am
From within the U.S. I experienced about the same 3 weeks turn around with shipping both ways not bad at all . As I recall mine was closer to 2 1/2 weeks
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

Brianv wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:42 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 am
From within the U.S. I experienced about the same 3 weeks turn around with shipping both ways not bad at all . As I recall mine was closer to 2 1/2 weeks
Thanks. They told me 4-6 weeks, but I assumed that was just the default answer. They have had the knife for 10 days, so hopefully not too much longer.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Just for comparison, Spyderco took less time than other companies, for me. The three times I've sent to Spyderco it took a month. I've sent 2 to Benchmade and they were 6 weeks both times and one to ZT that took 2 months. I haven't done a warranty or anything else anywhere else so I don't have other comparisons.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Not being condescending or anything but I hope they didn't use philips driver on those. I've seen a lot of my friends commit the same mistake not realizing there are screwheads other than flathead/standard and philips.

Been using el-cheapo chinese torx drivers on mine and I never had any problems (even with loctite)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

npad69 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 pm
Not being condescending or anything but I hope they didn't use philips driver on those. I've seen a lot of my friends commit the same mistake not realizing there are screwheads other than flathead/standard and philips.

Been using el-cheapo chinese torx drivers on mine and I never had any problems (even with loctite)
Uhh, what? I just read that and it translated in my head as:

"I'm not saying they're stupid or anything, they just did one of the dumbest things imaginable".

Lol!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?