Serrated January

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SF Native

Re: Serrated January

Post by SF Native »

After first week, I’m really enjoying the para 3s. The teeth are much less pronounced and don’t stick/ grab/ tear as much as the salt 1. Let my daughter use it to cut a lemon and she commented at how sharp it is. I find the serrations work really well on items with a harder skin and softer inside (loaf of bread, citrus fruit, tomatoes). So far, few downsides.
Need to cut more and get to the sharpening...
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Month of serrations is almost up.
The se para 3 has not let me down. It will basically do anything that a P.E. will do.
It will grab paper when opening mail. Not perfect but will do. It’s been more than ok for cutting lunch items or probing for dry rot during work inspections. I’m liking the little chain saw.

Got the sharpmaker out the other day to freshen up the teeth. Watched sal’s video to make sure I was getting the technique right and sharpmaker did not disappoint. Wondering what I will do if it gets really dull and needs a re-profile. Guess I will get the diamond stones out and get er done.

So, this month was a success. Searches through the serrated offerings to see what else is available. Serrated shaman looks way cool. There are a lot of options. The para 3 lightweight will come serrated. Might pick up one of those. Hoping for a sprint of serrated rookie. Until then, the serrations will be in my regular rotation.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I used my SE Salt 2 most part of this month and it never let me down.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't care if January is in the rear view mirror>> because some of the older fully Spyderedged models deserve more accolades. I've yet to find an everyday folder that would defeat my older/better stainless handled RESCUE model from the late 90s era>> the ATS-55 era to be exact and that was a great blade steel for Spyderedged models I might add. Not to mention the ferocity of the original TEMPERANCE 1 model in full SE as well. Which is a great case to be made for most all fixed blade Spyders at some point to be made available in SE.

Even one of my old ATS-55 Merlin models after a good sharpening with my 701 Profiles just went through some cordage like "Child's Play" ( not the movie :D ). Even though I still do at least 60 to 65% of my cutting jobs with my PE folder that I carry daily I still also use one of my full Spyderedged models on a daily basis as well. I'm to the point now to where I wouldn't want to do any kind of a job without both my SE & PE folders being at my side. Probably another case to be made for the Dyad II>> which I'm very much looking forward to.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Carried a Pacific Salt H1 SE every single day. It got so comfortable being in the pocket I even carried it the first day of February.
Justin
Tims

Post by Tims »

While my SE Endura didn’t see exclusive use through january, I used it quite a bit. It’s actually my first serrated blade other than on multitools and I enjoy using it but it won’t replace a plain edge.

Despite keeping it hair popping, it still snags during certain tasks. Not for long, it quickly finds a scallop and bites hard but it’s enough to frustrate me. With a plain edge I can just swipe through whatever I’m cutting with hardly a thought. The serrated edge takes a little more thought to achieve the desired cut.

If I was in a situation where I wasn’t able to sharpen frequently I would choose a serrated edge because a blunt plain edge is about as useful as tits on a bull. Other than that, I prefer a plain edge
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tims wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:53 pm
While my SE Endura didn’t see exclusive use through january, I used it quite a bit. It’s actually my first serrated blade other than on multitools and I enjoy using it but it won’t replace a plain edge.
That Spyderedged ENDURA model was one of my very first Spyderco folders that I did a lot of hard work with. It was an old G-2 model but it sure handled rough jobs very well.

It kind of takes me back to my first Spyderco folder ever which was a GIN-1, Stainless handled MARINER models. I remember how ferocious of a cutter it was. And don't forget that excellent sheepsfoot blade on the C-44, double bladed Dyad model. There sure was a lot more to select from back in the good old days.