Serrated January

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Serrated January

Post by Wartstein »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 am
You guys almost get me wanting to try a SE Spyderco! ;)
Try a comboedge! I know there is not much liking for it out there, but for my needs it does just fine.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

StuntZombie wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:54 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:09 pm
That's a slippery slope. I've been thinking about selling a lot of PE lately but I'll probably just keep them for my son. Tastes change too, I may go back eventually but I don't think I've really used or carried a PE for over a year now more than just a random day here and there.
Looking at what my daily cutting chores consist of, I could probably get rid of the majority of my plain edge knives and not miss them. It doesn't take much plain edge to open a box or a letter, and even breaking down cardboard isn't too bad. About the only thing I'd miss is a nice clean slice on a block of cheese.
OCD sufferer ?

I look at it the other way, a Serrated Spyderco cuts the same slice of cheese but because it has more surface area
the cheese can release more flavour onto the tongue !!!
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 am
You guys almost get me wanting to try a SE Spyderco! ;)
You should

Can't be a Spyderco lover without having a serrated Spyderco.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:46 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Evil D wrote:
That's a slippery slope. I've been thinking about selling a lot of PE lately but I'll probably just keep them for my son. Tastes change too, I may go back eventually but I don't think I've really used or carried a PE for over a year now more than just a random day here and there.
Looking at what my daily cutting chores consist of, I could probably get rid of the majority of my plain edge knives and not miss them. It doesn't take much plain edge to open a box or a letter, and even breaking down cardboard isn't too bad. About the only thing I'd miss is a nice clean slice on a block of cheese.
OCD sufferer ?

I look at it the other way, a Serrated Spyderco cuts the same slice of cheese but because it has more surface area
Nah, just joking. Though, I have found serrated edges don't always perform as well in the kitchen. That may have more to do with blade thickness than edge type though.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

LOL, I was kinda joking as well.

I actually agree with you. Serrations can sometimes more than just not cut a nice slice, they do also make it harder to cut the thickness of anything you want.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

crazywednesday wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm
I'm in. I have a couple SE. I really want one in LC200N ffg. The problem is I'm not interested in the native or the bumble bee handle on the Caribbean.
I might join in on this I have the Carribean in SE might need to RIT DYE the Bumble Bee yellow out of them first, that color is just too loud in an office. wonder what will happen if I use Navy Blue Rit Dye? Have some being shipped from Amazon now.
Strider

Post by Strider »

My SE delica wharncliffe is probably my most used knifed, although, not most carried. I have never been a fan of the delica handle but love the wharncliffe blade on it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The food prep thing will always be a fair argument, but I really haven't had an issue there in my day to day life. SE will still cut a sandwich in half just fine. I may not slice a tomato with my Autonomy but I know it would still get the job done if needed, probably better than some of the dull PE kitchen knives people are using.

If I'm honest though I have to admit that every argument I made in the past against SE as an EDC was based more on concern and lack of sharpening skills than anything else. The concern was about what I might not be able to do with SE vs PE, but in the year+ I've carried my Autonomy now I haven't ran into one instance where I actually needed PE for anything. Of course to be fair I also haven't done any camping etc, but I have done yard work and cut branches/vines with my Spyderhawk and it worked beautifully.

At this point I've done a full 180 and I'm now looking at PE as the backup/companion blade and SE will be my everyday user.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am
500Nitro wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:
Evil D wrote:
OCD sufferer ?

Nah, just joking. Though, I have found serrated edges don't always perform as well in the kitchen. That may have more to do with blade thickness than edge type though.
Now "Stuntzombie" I do respectfully beg to differ with you about serrated culinary blades. It truly depends completely on the type of serration pattern you are using. Because until I got into several top notch culinary knives and finally found a few with great serration patterns I used to feel the same way you do. Because a lousy serration pattern truly makes all the difference in the world.

And there are dozens of kitchen knives out there that have lousy serration patterns as well as really poor quality blade steel. So please don't throw the baby out with deceptive bath water because there is more to serrated kitchen blades than what you see at your local "Rip-Mart" store. Actually when I was younger it was discount stores that gave me a bad attitude toward kitchen knives in general,.

When I got my first 3 fully serrated SPYDERCO kitchen blades that was the first time in years that I had found a top quality serrated culinary blade. So please don't judge them all the same way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm
The food prep thing will always be a fair argument, but I really haven't had an issue there in my day to day life. SE will still cut a sandwich in half just fine. I may not slice a tomato with my Autonomy but I know it would still get the job done if needed, probably better than some of the dull PE kitchen knives people are using.

At this point I've done a full 180 and I'm now looking at PE as the backup/companion blade and SE will be my everyday user.
Again I want to stress that it's the type of serration pattern that really makes the difference in overall performance. I have one J.A. Henckel culinary blade which is a serrated paring knife with a relatively smaller serration pattern that cuts tomatoes and other veggies just as good and in some cases better than many plain edged paring knives do.

Which is why I want to see Spyderco start to test out some newer serration patterns. At this time we have two distinct basic serration patterns that they use in their Spyderedged blades. First off you have the "spikey" type of serration pattern that you see on most of the Japan made Spyders as well as many of the GOLDEN Made units. Then on their culinary kitchen blades like the K-04 & K-05 models you have a more rounded/wavy type of pattern that does work a bit better on most food applications. The one I'm speaking of on the J.A. Henckel kitchen knife is something kind of in between both of those and it works.

In most cases the typical pattern that you find on most of the folders and many of the fixed blades does a relatively decent job on most applications. But it is high time they try out some new patterns to see how they compare.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
500Nitro wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:

OCD sufferer ?

Now "Stuntzombie" I do respectfully beg to differ with you about serrated culinary blades. It truly depends completely on the type of serration pattern you are using. Because until I got into several top notch culinary knives and finally found a few with great serration patterns I used to feel the same way you do. Because a lousy serration pattern truly makes all the difference in the world.

And there are dozens of kitchen knives out there that have lousy serration patterns as well as really poor quality blade steel. So please don't throw the baby out with deceptive bath water because there is more to serrated kitchen blades than what you see at your local "Rip-Mart" store. Actually when I was younger it was discount stores that gave me a bad attitude toward kitchen knives in general,.

When I got my first 3 fully serrated SPYDERCO kitchen blades that was the first time in years that I had found a top quality serrated culinary blade. So please don't judge them all the same way.
I'm not saying serrated edges won't work in the kitchen, but there are definitely some knives better suited to kitchen tasks. My serrated Delica will cut ham like crazy, but the blade size, shape, and thickness isn't conductive to efficient cutting in larger pieces of meat.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna do some food prep with my Spyderhawk and see how it goes :confused:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm
I'm gonna do some food prep with my Spyderhawk and see how it goes :confused:
I bet it would be one **** of a mango slicer.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've been pretty good so far. The SE Wharncliffe Delica I got for Christmas has been my primary carry so far.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward selling off any users that are PE or CE. Funny, I was in love with the CE Delica at first, now the difference in grinds is annoying when it's time to resharpen. It doesn't help that the PE portion is ground so much thicker compared to the SE portion of the blade.

It was the same with the Para 3 I've owned for a bit. It quickly became my favorite knife, but now I get aggravated any time I need to sharpen it. My SE Wharncliffe Delica though, cut through the side of a greenhouse yesterday, and was easily touched back up in a couple minutes time on the Sharpmaker. And I'm talking smoothly slicing through newspaper sharp.

Funny, my first ever Spyderco was a serrated Police model, and that actually turned me away from toothy models because I could never get it sharp. Now it's becoming favorite edge type because it's so much easier to sharpen.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
embry386

Post by embry386 »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:59 am
elena86 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:51 am
I am spyderedge guy and I allways have some teeth on me. I allways said that a spyderedge can do what a plain edge does but not the other way around.
Agree with you. Maybe not quite as nice/fine but it does it.
Agree, with the caveat that I can't shave with a serrated knife (at least, not without cutting myself to pieces in the process).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

StuntZombie wrote:
500Nitro wrote:
StuntZombie wrote:
Evil D wrote:
OCD sufferer ?

I'm telling you all again it's the type of serration pattern that tends to make the difference. Because the rounded/wavy type pattern that is on the K-04 and K-05 models works like a dream on food prep jobs. Also if you are lucky enough to find one of the older, full Spyderedged AUS-8 Catcherman models those work like a dream in the kitchen.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I agree with you 100% Serration pattern is everything just because it has a spydie edge does not make it good for everything a SE blade can do. There are several types of spydie edges and when you have rounded wavy type on a knife with allot of belly like the Caribbean it cuts like crazy. I am guessing the super toothy spydie edge is meant for cutting thick rope or something because it tears heck out of cardboard rather than doing the super slice.

My police 3 SE is another great example of Full Serrations but on a much straighter blade.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 am
I agree with you 100% Serration pattern is everything just because it has a spydie edge does not make it good for everything a SE blade can do. There are several types of spydie edges and when you have rounded wavy type on a knife with allot of belly like the Caribbean it cuts like crazy. I am guessing the super toothy spydie edge is meant for cutting thick rope or something because it tears heck out of cardboard rather than doing the super slice.

My police 3 SE is another great example of Full Serrations but on a much straighter blade.
Those rounded/wavy type of serrations that you see on many of Spyderco's kitchen/culinary knives I do believe would also be good on a Spyderco fixed blade, outdoor/sports type knife. I've used my Spyderedged TEMPERANCE 1 model on many game and fish jobs and it has the typical Japan made spikey type serrations. I've said many times that if that blade had the same serrations that the K-05 has I could use it on even more cutting jobs. Also I seem to be able to get those rounded/wavy type serrations sharper than those others in many cases.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 am

I'm telling you all again it's the type of serration pattern that tends to make the difference. Because the rounded/wavy type pattern that is on the K-04 and K-05 models works like a dream on food prep jobs. Also if you are lucky enough to find one of the older, full Spyderedged AUS-8 Catcherman models those work like a dream in the kitchen.
Got one the other month, can't wait to try it (it's still in the US).

Also got the combo version in Aus-8 so it will be a good comparison.

I let pass an MBS one as wasn't sure on it but just been offered a Green USN one so grabbing that as well.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's a great initiative, I used to do that years ago when I was still not sure about how serrations fit in my EDC. My experience with only having a serrated edge, was amazement at how versatile they can be. Today, I make sure there's always a few serrations on my person, even if it's just a Ladybug.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram