Tusk and SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigboned

Tusk and SE

Post by bigboned »

Apologies if this has been asked before but if the Tusk is a mariners knife then why is there no serrations offered?
The spydy edge is far superior to a PE for cutting ropes etc
Even a combo edge
Someone help me understand what I’m missing here?!
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Jazz

Re: Tusk and SE

Post by Jazz »

Good question.
- best wishes, Jazz.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I find a sharp PE makes a much cleaner cut on rope than does an SE blade. I use multistrand poly- rope a lot (braided polypro or polyethylene rope) and SE tends to snag and make for frayed cuts. Sharp PE does not. I can't answer why the Tusk is not SE, but I like it the way it is.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've said for years now that I would buy a TUSK model if they ever made it available in Spyderedge. To me it just seems counter-productive to have a knife specifically designed for use in a marine/fishing environment and not to be available in SE. And please don't construe that as being offensive to Spyderco or the people in the decision making process. But I'm just totally convinced that it would sell much better if offered in both edge types.

I'm also beginning to think it would do well in combo edge too. But I'm still hoping and waiting for the TUSK model to one day be made available in SE. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who wants one in SE. Actually I would bet that Spyderco would be pleasantly surprised at how many they would sell of the TUSK model if they ever decide to offer it in full Spyderedge.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've been wanting to buy one of these forever. It combines two things I love with things I strongly dislike. Sailing and LC200N, I love. Frame and ball bearing locks, not so much.

Maybe someday.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

with Spyderedged blade, it would definitely be The Ultimate Serrated Knife for Sailors :o
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I wanted a Tusk from the first time I saw it, finally got one a couple years ago. Great knife. I'm not out on water like I used to be, but the Tusk finds its way into my pocket regularly. In fact the blade steel on the Tusk is one of the reasons that the Spydiechef is on my to-buy list. Once I truly learned how to sharpen a knife, I divested myself of all my serrated knives save a few holdouts in the kitchen. Sharp plain edge cuts better and cleaner for me and my uses.

As to why not combo edge, that probably has to do with the size of the blade. The Tusk is a full sized knife with a small, albeit useful, blade. (2.39 inch blade with 2.14 inch edge.) I doubt a combo edge would be of any real benefit in such a miniscule package.

Grizz
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

gdwtvb wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 am
As to why not combo edge, that probably has to do with the size of the blade. The Tusk is a full sized knife with a small, albeit useful, blade. (2.39 inch blade with 2.14 inch edge.) I doubt a combo edge would be of any real benefit in such a miniscule package.

Grizz
That was my reaction to the notion of a combo edge too. Not enough blade length.
I'm also neither a fan of framelocks or ball locks, and this has both. But they work and this is still a great little knife.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Spydo, myself, The Peacent, and some other folks on here have actually made it clear that we and I am sure others would greatly desire and appreciate a slightly larger version of the Tusk, perhaps with a 3.5 to 4 inch blade, somewhere along those lines, and, with either a full Spyder Edge serrated edge, or, a Part Serrated Combo Edge, with the standard excellent Spyderco serrations, made of Lc200N stainless steel. Am I right, everyone?

I would also like to see a version made with FRN handle scales but that would have to be justified by large numbers being purchased to justify the expense of them making the FRN molds.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 pm
JD Spydo, myself, The Peacent, and some other folks on here have actually made it clear that we and I am sure others would greatly desire and appreciate a slightly larger version of the Tusk, perhaps with a 3.5 to 4 inch blade, somewhere along those lines, and, with either a full Spyder Edge serrated edge, or, a Part Serrated Combo Edge, with the standard excellent Spyderco serrations, made of Lc200N stainless steel. Am I right, everyone?

I would also like to see a version made with FRN handle scales but that would have to be justified by large numbers being purchased to justify the expense of them making the FRN molds.
Brother SEF you just jerked the words right off the tip of my tongue just when I was ready to say the same exact thing you just said. And I mean no disrespect to Spyderco and nothing is to be taken in a negative slant at all. I'm just saying the same as you and PEACENT were both just saying that if they made at least half of their TUSK models in full Spyderedge I'm willing to bet the Spyderedged half would sell at least twice as fast as the plain edged units would. And please don't let me put words in your mouths but I'm sure that is what you guys would like as well.

Oh and please don't nobody get me wrong because I'm wanting both the PE & SE and possibly a CE if they were ever going to give in and give the Spyderedged version a chance. I just have a lot more uses for the TUSK in Spyderedge than I do in plain edge. And I'm willing to bet big that I'm not alone with those sentiments either :cool: Also please consider that a Marlinspike has a lot of practical uses as it does for sailors, fisherman and longshoremen. This would truly be a huge step in the right direction and if I'm right it would open the floodgates for many more models that are screaming to be offered in Spyderedge>> and let's don't forget the Dodo model either.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I am reminded by JD's comments that one of the main appeals to me of this knife was and is the marlin spike! The blade itself is a secondary consideration given the many other options that are available. It is definitely a useful part of this model (it is a knife after all) and more convenient to have one tool than two separate ones. What is everyone's experience with LC200n in SE, compared to H1? That is an excellent SE steel, so going with LC200n seemed to be mandated by the PE blade. If SE, why prefer LC200n?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD, you are absolutely correct regarding other, non-sailing uses for the marlin spike. I have used a marlin spike on a Myerchin folder to open knots in string and also, along with the awl on a Victorinox folder, to make more holes in a leather belt for someone who the belt they had was not the right size. I mean, yes, those are unusual uses of such a tool but even so, it can be used for other tasks. I am sure you and others here can think of other applications that a quality marlin spike can be used for.

I would really like to see Spyderco produce an expanded range of Tusk knives or similiar with more marlin spikes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 pm
JD, you are absolutely correct regarding other, non-sailing uses for the marlin spike. I have used a marlin spike on a Myerchin folder to open knots in string and also, along with the awl on a Victorinox folder, to make more holes in a leather belt for someone who the belt they had was not the right size. I mean, yes, those are unusual uses of such a tool but even so, it can be used for other tasks. I am sure you and others here can think of other applications that a quality marlin spike can be used for.

I would really like to see Spyderco produce an expanded range of Tusk knives or similiar with more marlin spikes.
Speaking of Marlinspikes you guys ought to check out the newer ones on some of the latest VICTORINOX Swiss Army Knife models. These newer designed Marlinspikes that Victorinox has are extremely versatile and can be used for all kinds of different jobs. Yeah no doubt a Marlinspike comes in very handy at times. I have a really old Ka-Bar Rigging Knife with a Marlinspike and I can't begin to tell you all how many different jobs it has come in handy for.

But these newer ones and even the one on the TUSK model are more of an advanced design and useful for a lot of different applications. Again I mean this in all respect to Spyderco but they are seriously shooting themselves in the foot by not offering that TUSK model in Spyderedge and again I bet it would be great in combo edge. IF they would do the TUSK model in SE and one of their better recurve models in SE like the ULIZE for instance they would be shocked at how many they would sell >> I'm 100% confident of it.
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

wow, thanks for all the replies guys, deffo some SE love going on so im not on my own lol
cheers
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK