Which steel for the Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby archangel » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm

I own a Rex45 Millie and a 20CV PM2.

For the Para 3 I'm torn between Maxamet, the 52100 sprint with CF scales, and my hope for an M390 sprint. Or maybe someone will launch a 3V or 4V sprint or exclusive. As always, it's going to be carried, but used only lightly - I'm pretty sure all of the above steels will have no problems with those tasks. It's more a question of getting a rare unique handsome version... Which one would you choose?
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

Ric
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm
Location: Austria / Europe

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Ric » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 pm

BentoBoxShop had the smurf blue M390.
This is my number one.

Head to head with maxamet.

Cscottsss
Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:33 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Cscottsss » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Out of those choices I'd go with Maxamet, I like 52100 but only if it's coated.

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby archangel » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:18 pm

BBS is a no-go because $68.95 for shipping to outside US and all at my own risk.

Why 52100 only coated, cause it may rust? Not a problem for me, my K390 P4 is still looking like fresh out of the box.
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

Danvp
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Danvp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:32 pm

I own all 3. Must say that the BBS m390 is the most allround to my likings. Stainless, nice edge retention and not to hard to touch up. Finish on the brown sharpmaker rods and you get a nice toothy edge. However, the 52100 and also the Rex are even more easy to sharpen. I guess it will always be a trade off.
Archangel, i am from Holland and do not like the expensive shipping costs either. Thats why i use a MyUS box or something similar. Unfortunately, i paid the $68,95. :eek: After that i searched for a cheaper way to get my shipments from the US.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 pm

This may be what you're looking for...though I'm sure you would have to pay a steep price on Ebay. Unless you can find one on Blade Forums?
5xfrE6lh.jpg
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2229
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Woodpuppy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm

I’m pretty curious about maxamet. I’ve been using M4 very happily; I also have cruwear and rex45 but not much experience with either, except it seems like my cruwear Para3 needs a first sharpening far sooner than my M4 did. I sure do love the Para3!
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5015
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby ZrowsN1s » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:24 pm

I've got the M390, Maxamet, and Rex 45. They are all nice. The rex 45 is my favorite of the steels (but you already have that steel), the M390 with the Blue handle is the best looking (although bento is sold out anyways), the Maxamet is an awesome steel, although I like the CF handles of the 52100 better....

If looks are more important get the CF, if steel is more important get the maxamet.... or wait for the next inevitably awesome sprint.
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

User avatar
awa54
Member
Posts: 2394
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby awa54 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Don't forget the S35VN distributor exclusive, it's my favorite (at least until an M390-ish Sprint comes back around) and it's still available from a few sellers.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby archangel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 am

I'm keeping the S35VN spot open for a different model. I've owned it twice already, sold those to "upgrade" the respective models to a more rare steel. The next purchase of an S35VN :spyder: shall be the definitive one...
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 am

Surprised you're considering a more "basic" steel in S35VN, after what you were originally talking about. Maybe just wait out an exclusive/sprint? Sounds like you're just itching for a new knife!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 am

M390 You can’t go wrong

User avatar
awa54
Member
Posts: 2394
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby awa54 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 am

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 am
Surprised you're considering a more "basic" steel in S35VN, after what you were originally talking about. Maybe just wait out an exclusive/sprint? Sounds like you're just itching for a new knife!

S35VN isn't a very "basic" alloy content-wise, it is however a balanced/compromise alloy, with no one overriding strength or weakness.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

I have also discovered S35VN Differs from company to company and is not great in all knives.

Chris Reeve S35VN Nyala fixed blade is pretty much bullet proof.

His dedicated Sikayo Kitchen knives which are thin however are not I have had them chip.

I have owned and sold his sebenza folders. The steel is a good fit here.

I own paramilitary 2 in S35VN and the steel seems softer than what I experienced with Reeve treatment of S35VN.

S35VN has never rusted on me it is easier to sharpen then S30V and holds a working edge a bit longer. It also is a bit less slick and more toothy than S30V.

Working edge is a nice way of saying does not remain truly sharp for long.

Can’t go wrong with M390 or CTS-204P. Both of these are great stainless steels easy to sharpen and hold a truly sharp edge longer that S35VN.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am

awa54 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 am
Surprised you're considering a more "basic" steel in S35VN, after what you were originally talking about. Maybe just wait out an exclusive/sprint? Sounds like you're just itching for a new knife!

S35VN isn't a very "basic" alloy content-wise, it is however a balanced/compromise alloy, with no one overriding strength or weakness.
I agree, I have nothing against it. One of my personal, favorite knives is in that steel. It's just from a different breed than what he was originally considering, that's all.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

Oh and if you want the best of all worlds spend the money get the M390 or CTS-204P buy the 52100 and swap the scales. Pricey this way but wants and desires over needs often are. :)

Dornbox
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:33 am
Location: Maine

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Dornbox » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am

For no other reason other than, I've read a lot of very cool stuff regarding Maxamet, that's my number 1. The Para 2 Maxamet was also my first love at first sight Spydie. Something about the gray G10 and stone washed blade just works especially with the Paras. My number 2 is the Red G10 M390 from DLT for many of the same reasons. I own at least 7 or 8 of the more "boutique" steels between the Para models but rotate too frequently to really be able to discern any major differences between them. I also re profile everything on my WE as soon as I can and honestly don't even see any huge differences there either. For the most part I only slice cardboard and odd items around my house and yard.

If a Salt Para 2 or 3 ever drops with yellow G10 and an LC200N or H1 steel, there would be no hesitation either if only for the look and that I live and play on the New England Coast.
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:48 am

Dornbox wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am
For no other reason other than, I've read a lot of very cool stuff regarding Maxamet, that's my number 1. The Para 2 Maxamet was also my first love at first sight Spydie. Something about the gray G10 and stone washed blade just works especially with the Paras. My number 2 is the Red G10 M390 from DLT for many of the same reasons. I own at least 7 or 8 of the more "boutique" steels between the Para models but rotate too frequently to really be able to discern any major differences between them. I also re profile everything on my WE as soon as I can and honestly don't even see any huge differences there either. For the most part I only slice cardboard and odd items around my house and yard.

If a Salt Para 2 or 3 ever drops with yellow G10 and an LC200N or H1 steel, there would be no hesitation either if only for the look and that I live and play on the New England Coast.

I'm the same way, I really don't NEED all these different steels and probably never truly put them through enough to truly test what they are capable of (cardboard, plastic strapping, shrink wrap, some rope, camping and yard work typically being the toughest tests for me)...but it sure is fun to have a variety and variety of scale colors!
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

Extra330SC
Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 pm
Location: Encinitas, CALIFORNIA

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby Extra330SC » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm

archangel wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:31 pm
I own a Rex45 Millie and a 20CV PM2.

For the Para 3 I'm torn between Maxamet, the 52100 sprint with CF scales, and my hope for an M390 sprint. Or maybe someone will launch a 3V or 4V sprint or exclusive. As always, it's going to be carried, but used only lightly - I'm pretty sure all of the above steels will have no problems with those tasks. It's more a question of getting a rare unique handsome version... Which one would you choose?
All good choices for sure! I have all three (CF 52100, Maxamet, BBS M390) and they're all special . Since the M390 is sold out and the Maxamets ETA uncertain. ..I'd get the one that's available now. There are some good deals on the 52100 Para 3 floating around as an added bonus ! It's definitely handsome with the Carbon scales...

James
Attachments
2018-12-28 17.48.53.jpg

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5070
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Which steel for the Para 3?

Postby TkoK83Spy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Definitely a good looking knife you have there James! Don't see that model all that often. I think people are afraid of the easy patina 52100 can get.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Enactive, jensh, mikey177, nerdlock, Wartstein and 65 guests