Military Thief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Military Thief

Post by James Y »

I'm very sorry to hear about this theft. That REALLY sucks! Have you contacted the owners of the company you contracted to work on your house? I'm sure there's nothing that can be done about it now, but they should have a record of which of their workers were at your house that day, and perhaps narrow it down. Although nothing short of video evidence would do much good, especially if the boss him/herself took it, or if the knife is 'in the wind' already.

Maybe do a review of the company on Yelp, or with the BBB, and mention that somebody from that company stole from your house.

Jim
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

NoFair wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:41 am
shunsui wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:46 am
Been thinking about a large gun safe. Lots of talk about how they can be defeated with the right tools, but I saw an article about how gun owners tended to keep their valuables during the typical home robbery because of a big heavy gun safe that the casual thieves just can't deal with.
It either makes a lot of noise or takes a lot of time or both ;)
Absolute security is of course impossible. But a safe is a big job that only a determined thief can deal with. This is true of most security measures. A noisy dog will discourage many or most thieves. Keeping things out of sight is very effective. People don't get tempted by things they don't see.

But it absolutely sucks and stirs up my outrage. Learn what you can from it and move on.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Always sad to see this sort of thing. I once had an apartment when I was younger and much poorer and one of the maintenance people stole my mini-mag flashlight. Many thieves are opportunistic, they will steal it because they have the opportunity, not out of need. The maintenance people were likely earning much more than I was at the time.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Crux

Post by Crux »

A knife thief is worse than a horse thief.

A safe is always good to have. Make sure you bolt it down or they'll drag it through your walls.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
hoghunter82

Post by hoghunter82 »

Thanks for the comments and attempts to make me feel better. It just sucks. I locked up my Randal Made knives in the safe but didn’t even think about the Military. It gets used as a daily tool to open mail, etc. so I left it out like I always do without thought. My hope is that someone needed it more than me- and maybe, just maybe gave it to a youngster going into the military. I’ll choose to believe that because it makes me feel better! But odds are it got traded for some work boots or nail gun....
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I gifted a Stretch VG10 to a good friend and he carried/used it daily until it went missing doing his house renovation with some workers. Similarly it could not be pinpointed to certain individual :mad:.

I feel for you especially the Stretch is now discontinued.
Chris :spyder:
Crux

Post by Crux »

I have been thinking a lot about this and maybe we should start a fund to hire a private detective to get the facts. Stealing a knife (especially a Spyderco) is a extremely serious crime. If I'm not mistaken it is a capital crime under certain circumstances. Obviously Law Enforcement is overwhelmed this time of year so I don't think we can get help from the FBI until late January. I have already "interviewed" my neighbors and I cannot report any collusion from them at this time. Yeah, it was a little awkward but I gave them all a Spyderco Bug as a sign of goodwill. Five of them didn't want them. Very suspicious I think you'd agree.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: