native salt!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
freebird610

Re: native salt!

Post by freebird610 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:19 pm
I’ve never used the liquid.
Ok. Thanks. That just looks like it turned out perfect! I’ve always used the liquid. Wasn’t sure if one was better than the other.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine has broken in nicely. No blade play in the locked position. Bareeeeeely perceptible blade play when half open. So little that I never would have noticed if not for this thread. Definitely a non issue for me. Opening has definitely gotten much smoother but still not as smooth as my Japanese Salts. I suspect the geometry of the lockbar/cam interaction is different and creates more pressure when opening. This too is kind of a non issue for me. It still opens plenty smooth and has a more solid (no play in any direction) lockup than my Japanese Salts so that is a trade off I am more than happy to accept.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've never seen a Native of any sort with blade play. Mine certainly does not have any. If it did, I'd send it back. The tolerances are too tight for it to have blade play unless something is out of spec, in my opinion. So, send it in.

As soon as I pay off Christmas, I am going to get one of these Native Salts. I have really been waiting on this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am
I've never seen a Native of any sort with blade play. Mine certainly does not have any. If it did, I'd send it back. The tolerances are too tight for it to have blade play unless something is out of spec, in my opinion. So, send it in.
Do you have a Lightweight Native 5? I don't think the non-lightweight versions use a bushing pivot. Or if they do it's probably a different one.
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

I had the same clicky side-to-side blade play when open when the knife was new. Along w/ the lock/action being super stiff out of the box, I disassembled the knife, cleaned and lubed it, and reassembled and voila -- no more blade play and the action is a lot smoother! I think the screw tightness of the lockbar pivot somehow has an effect on blade play on these knives. My N5 LW S35VN had a similar issue.

I will say, I think the lockbar spring is way stiffer on the N5 Salts than previous lightweight N5's. It's loosening up slowly as the knife is worked tho.

I installed an MXG Gear deep carry clip and now the knife rides much better and more securely in the pocket. Highly recommended upgrade.

Loving my N5 Salt!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

fkmtb07 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm
I had the same clicky side-to-side blade play when open when the knife was new. Along w/ the lock/action being super stiff out of the box, I disassembled the knife, cleaned and lubed it, and reassembled and voila -- no more blade play and the action is a lot smoother!
i need to try this as soon as i have a chance. i cranked my pivot down and i’m not getting the blade play anymore, but i don’t think that is the right answer.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

fkmtb07 wrote:
I think the screw tightness of the lockbar pivot somehow has an effect on blade play on these knives. My N5 LW S35VN had a similar issue.
The lockbar pivot is a pin, not a screw.
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 pm
fkmtb07 wrote:
I think the screw tightness of the lockbar pivot somehow has an effect on blade play on these knives. My N5 LW S35VN had a similar issue.
The lockbar pivot is a pin, not a screw.
O yeah my bad, brain fart this morning! I was talking about the body screw closest to the pivot pin.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

fkmtb07 wrote:

I installed an MXG Gear deep carry clip and now the knife rides much better and more securely in the pocket. Highly recommended upgrade.

Loving my N5 Salt!
Which MXG deep carry clip did you get?

I have a Native 5 Salt on the way and would like to replace the Spyderco clip with a Lynch or MXG deep carry clip.

Thanks,
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I just wish the stock clip contacted the smooth circle in the center. Seems like it probably lines up better for tip down carry. I sanded gently with 400 grit right before and under the clip. Otherwise it's quite rough on the pocket for tip up carry.
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

ejcr98 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm
fkmtb07 wrote:

Loving my N5 Salt!

I have a Native 5 Salt on the way and would like to replace the Spyderco clip with a Lynch or MXG deep carry clip.

Thanks,
MXG Gear makes only 2 options for N5 FRN; I got the one w/out the long hole in the clip, in plain titanium. Tension is perfect and the clip contacts the center of the flat Spyderco logo on the handle. It came w/ longer screws which were unnecessary -- the original Spyderco screws work perfectly.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

fkmtb07 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm
ejcr98 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm
fkmtb07 wrote:

Loving my N5 Salt!

Thanks,
MXG Gear makes only 2 options for N5 FRN; I got the one w/out the long hole in the clip, in plain titanium. Tension is perfect and the clip contacts the center of the flat Spyderco logo on the handle. It came w/ longer screws which were unnecessary -- the original Spyderco screws work perfectly.
Thanks. I’ll check them out.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here’s a pic of my Maxamet Native 5 with the slotted pocket clip from MXG. I love the way it looks when compared to the standard clip, though my biggest gripe was that the blade is stonewashed, and the clip was polished. It just looks off to me. My salt Native 5 might keep its OG clip, since I feel the black clip looks great.
I also don’t clip my smaller knives anywhere, since they fit in my coin pocket nicely. As far as going clipless is concerned, I much prefer the appearance and enhanced grip that a clip provides. I tried going without, and it’s just so odd IMO.
Attachments
FC3D82BF-D1E9-420B-9299-7AE64A8FD5D8.jpeg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am
Do you have a Lightweight Native 5? I don't think the non-lightweight versions use a bushing pivot. Or if they do it's probably a different one.
Yes, I do have a LW and I have examined several. I would send it in.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My scales are sitting in rit dye right now. So far the color looks nearly identical to my s110v lw native. During to dye my carribean scales as well but they aren't taking it as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

There was quite a bit of hype leading to the drop of this knife, yet I really haven't seen or heard too much about it in the performance aspect. Interested in how it's performing for those who have one already.

Seems like this happens quite a bit :/ Lots of hype, the knife gets released and then it's quiet (Anything in REX45, 4V, Super Blue Caly Jr, DLT PM2/20CV) Threads get loaded with pics when they arrive new, and then nothing afterwards. Nothing to learn from that!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Seems like this happens quite a bit :/ Lots of hype, the knife gets released and then it's quiet (Anything in REX45, 4V, Super Blue Caly Jr, DLT PM2/20CV) Threads get loaded with pics when they arrive new, and then nothing afterwards. Nothing to learn from that!!

I've been guilty of that myself. The problem for me is that (full disclosure!) I actually don't find a lot of uses for my knives at work anymore. :( (Was different when I did construction.) So it takes a long time to get a real "feel" for the steel. And what makes it worse is that I have about a dozen Spydies to choose from. :p

This Native Salt is tempting but I think I might hold off for a bit. I have a feeling we may be seeing more Salt options in the future.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I love mine and now that it won't be yellow I'll carry it more.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:37 pm

I've been guilty of that myself. The problem for me is that (full disclosure!) I actually don't find a lot of uses for my knives at work anymore. :( (Was different when I did construction.) So it takes a long time to get a real "feel" for the steel. And what makes it worse is that I have about a dozen Spydies to choose from. :p

This Native Salt is tempting but I think I might hold off for a bit. I have a feeling we may be seeing more Salt options in the future.
I totally understand that! I hate when I feel like I've neglected one for a few weeks and I've only got 11. Don't know how some of these guys with 30, 40, 50, etc handle a rotation! Even with only 11, I find myself looking for things to cut at work or around at home just to see how the steel performs. I definitely didn't take that into account with my post, the sheer number of knives many people own.

I guess I was more so talking about knives with new steels that many of us have never had before. I love learning new things!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I personally got disappointed in this model.
The knife handle is too blocky with hot-spots where it terminates by the blade (4 protruding corners), and it makes it nearly impossible to grab very tightly without regretting it.

A contoured handle would transform this knife to an absolute gem..!