price increase?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nope

Re: price increase?!

Post by nope »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:09 pm
I live with the prices. Nobody forces me to buy anything and crying about it doesn't change anything. Speak with your wallet and that's all there is to it.

What bothers me the most is how so many awesome models are coming out and getting discontinued due to poor sales.
So you cry about poor sales but then apologize for the astronomical prices.

Nice cognitive dissonance.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Evil D wrote:
I live with the prices. Nobody forces me to buy anything and crying about it doesn't change anything. Speak with your wallet and that's all there is to it.

What bothers me the most is how so many awesome models are coming out and getting discontinued due to poor sales. I would have loved to see sprint options on a lot of models but the initial runs didn't justify it. That's the biggest loss for me.
Couldn’t agree more-
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Evil D wrote:

What bothers me the most is how so many awesome models are coming out and getting discontinued due to poor sales. I would have loved to see sprint options on a lot of models but the initial runs didn't justify it. That's the biggest loss for me.
Couldn’t agree more-
Makes that 3 of us. All of it.

I do look at Spyderco as the type of company that has technologically superior products but because today’s consumer buys imho things that are full of ‘bling’, they do get sales.
To an extent different steels in the same knife are partly bling.

Re prices, I see it all the tine, people buy crap because it’s cheap, on special, looks good, even if it’s complete crap. The majority of consumers are useless at buying or judging quality/Value.
I see it in the firearms industry all the time.

One of the identifiers of what I call ‘no knowledge consumers’ is the forever chirping of ‘its too expensive’, ‘we want it cheaper’.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

The MSRP price of the Techno 2 is currently $330 and the MAP is $214 (both rounding). Is the expected price increase going to affect the Techno 2?

Just wondering. It does not make sense to me if the price increase does affect the current Techno 2 price, given that the Techno 2 essentially just became available. If the price increase affect the Techno 2 it means that the current price was essentially available only for 1 or 2 months tops.

The same applies to any knife released recently, say October to December 2018.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:53 pm
One of the identifiers of what I call ‘no knowledge consumers’ is the forever chirping of ‘its too expensive’, ‘we want it cheaper’.
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

The reason I ask is that I may want to buy the Techno 2 but would like to get at least 3 or 4 months after it has been released, to make sure that there are no kinks or problems with the knives. On the orher hand, $200 plus for a pocket knife is kida crazy, so I would prefer to get it before the price just makes less sense to me because of an increase in it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Two comments:

First is that this thread has long ago left the trolling rubbish that started it all behind in the dust, which is great. Now important and interesting topics are being discussed.

Second is the observation that the only "metric" many people have is cost. They want cheap things, nothing else matters. Then the same people complain about cheap stuff from China. After they got what they asked for! I fall for it myself and have to watch it. What I really want is quality at a fair price. There is no question that I would rather have one quality knife than a half dozen cheap crummy knives. You know of course what Click and Clack say -- the cheapskate always pays more in the end.

I have a thread I want to start about the Shaman that has points to raise about prices, steel choices, and models being discontinued. Still thinking that over before launching it.
sal

Post by sal »

We'll watch for it Tom.

I have no problem explaining pricing. Some like "Nope" think I'm lying, but there is not much I can do for him. As I've said; "The goal is to be consistent like the sun and transparent like the air. That's how trust is created". I try very hard to meet that criteria. We have our costs, which include; product, staff, overhead and we add a fair margin for survival and growth. Anyone that has a hard time understanding that has much to learn.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 am
We'll watch for it Tom.

I have no problem explaining pricing. Some like "Nope" think I'm lying, but there is not much I can do for him. As I've said; "The goal is to be consistent like the sun and transparent like the air. That's how trust is created". I try very hard to meet that criteria. We have our costs, which include; product, staff, overhead and we add a fair margin for survival and growth. Anyone that has a hard time understanding that has much to learn.

sal
Sal

Some have a big problem with "any" margin being made and one **** of a lot have a hard time understanding the whole concept
of business and pricing.

I find your products, the way you get on here and everything to be great. And as explained previously in the other thread,
my Endura has cost me $2.14 a year since I purchased it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm
Two comments:

First is that this thread has long ago left the trolling rubbish that started it all behind in the dust, which is great. Now important and interesting topics are being discussed.

Second is the observation that the only "metric" many people have is cost. They want cheap things, nothing else matters. Then the same people complain about cheap stuff from China. After they got what they asked for! I fall for it myself and have to watch it. What I really want is quality at a fair price. There is no question that I would rather have one quality knife than a half dozen cheap crummy knives. You know of course what Click and Clack say -- the cheapskate always pays more in the end.

I have a thread I want to start about the Shaman that has points to raise about prices, steel choices, and models being discontinued. Still thinking that over before launching it.
this post was not started as trolling. maybe you’re confusing it with the other thread with a similar title and subject?

i don’t want cheap knives, although i have some really great knives that were nowhere near as expensive as my spydercos. i just don’t like arbitrary raises in price. annually and on the new year feels pretty arbitrary. if costs go up, prices go up. that makes sense. it doesn’t make sense for costs to go up and a company to sit on losses the rest of the year until it’s time to raise the prices again and across the board. no company sits on losses. that doesn’t instill confidence in me as a customer that it’s a necessary price increase.

again, i still love spyderco knives. i still really appreciate this forum and sal’s presence, especially. i’m still going to buy my next spyderco soon, even though i just got one for Christmas and have been carrying it ever since. it may end up being the last i can afford though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Prices will keep going up as long as the market can support it. A PM2 is a little piece of metal, a few spacers, screws and some G10, but we clamor to pay $150 every time a new color/steel is put on the market. So, as long as the market says it’s with $150...$160 is not that big of a stretch.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

agreed. everyone has to decide where the line is for themselves.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
hmr

Post by hmr »

rgrad80 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am
Prices will keep going up as long as the market can support it. A PM2 is a little piece of metal, a few spacers, screws and some G10, but we clamor to pay $150 every time a new color/steel is put on the market. So, as long as the market says it’s with $150...$160 is not that big of a stretch.

Equating the design and construction of a like a Para-Military 2 to slapping a "piece of metal between two spacers, grab some G-10 and fasten it all together with screws" is an incredibly ignorant viewpoint. If you're truly believe that creating something as lasting as what Spyderco has done is as easy as that, I strongly suggest taking a moment, stepping away from this forum and looking into the logistics of producing an product. I think you'll be blown away.

Thanks for everything you do, Sal.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

ejcr98 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 pm
The reason I ask is that I may want to buy the Techno 2 but would like to get at least 3 or 4 months after it has been released, to make sure that there are no kinks or problems with the knives. On the orher hand, $200 plus for a pocket knife is kida crazy, so I would prefer to get it before the price just makes less sense to me because of an increase in it.
Yes, it should go up. I seem to recall some models last year that were the lower price for only a few days or weeks before they went up. If you want it, now is the time.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

nope wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:19 pm
Evil D wrote:

What bothers me the most is how so many awesome models are coming out and getting discontinued due to poor sales.
So you cry about poor sales but then apologize for the astronomical prices.

Nice cognitive dissonance.
You're by far the biggest crybaby here, lol. Nice hypocrisy.

After people get their say, I vote these threads on pricing be deleted. What a train wreck.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sorry if I missed it but do we have an actual amount prices are going up?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope not feeding this one anymore.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

hmr wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am
rgrad80 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 am

Equating the design and construction of a like a Para-Military 2 to slapping a "piece of metal between two spacers, grab some G-10 and fasten it all together with screws" is an incredibly ignorant viewpoint. If you're truly believe that creating something as lasting as what Spyderco has done is as easy as that, I strongly suggest taking a moment, stepping away from this forum and looking into the logistics of producing an product. I think you'll be blown away.

Thanks for everything you do, Sal.
*EDITED - Inappropriate and unnecessary. - TazKristi

I know quite a lot about manufacturing, but thanks for your suggestion.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

These pricing threads are all taking a turn for the worst. Nothing we should be arguing about amongst ourselves! We're all consumers and have no control over inflation. Either we pay the price or pass!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've asked multiple times now for the thread to be deleted. although i see some value in there being a record for people to see that prices will increase every year on the new year, i don't think this thread does much to help anyone. especially not with how touchy people seem to be getting.
current collection:
spyderco steels: