price increase?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: price increase?!

Post by The Meat man »

Price increases are always disappointing and unwelcome, whether you are a manufacturer or an end user. Unfortunately, they're a fact of life and all we can do is adjust accordingly.

Remember that cost increases are probably just as annoying to Spyderco as they are to us. And I'm glad they're not compromising on quality just to get the price a few dollars cheaper.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I can see how it reads that way but rest assured that’s not the intent-
I’m genuinely curious what specifically it is about PRC you object to- or if it is just that you object to the Chinese generally, unfortunately when Chinese made knives comes up that’s a disappointingly common comment (obviously in less polite phrasing)
I've seen way too much from PRC businesses to have any trust at all in their products. ****, they have killed a lot of people not to mention the tens of thousands of pets.

You said this earlier:
I can understand-however I’m happier when foreign owned companies with some iota of morality run and manage factories in China
When it comes to the knife business the western manufacturers are not running anything there. They are buying a product and hopefully QC'ing the heck out of it. Even with that some have been burned. No one trusts them without checking and stays in business without eventually having problems.

Then there are the political reasons. More than enough for me but as you say this isn't the place for that usually. If it was race based why isn't there a pushback here ( or from me) about Taiwan made product? Same race, same .....country....kind of. :) They are held in very high esteem by those around here including me.

In our current state of things being labeled racist is about as bad a problem as someone can have. Perhaps you can use more care when asking questions that can seem to infer racism towards someone.

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dave,

Many in the US, and in Australia as well, believe that the PRC is "cheating" at trade. They have an artificially created dollar/Yuan valuation which they are using to take over the world of manufacturing and they counterfeit many products, which is stealing the hard earned reputation of companies like Spyderco.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, thank you for making the new Native Salts!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:29 am
Daveho wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:59 am
Out of curiosity is there a specific reason or is it just racial prejudice?

Wow. I blame the media for everyone immediately trying to label everything "racist" these days.
Absolutely. It is a tool to build anger within, control, and divide the citizenry, ultimately taking power from the individual and handing it to various types of nefarious organizations.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:14 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Daveho wrote:

Wow. I blame the media for everyone immediately trying to label everything "racist" these days.
Absolutely. It is a tool to build anger within, control, and divide the citizenry, ultimately taking power from the individual and handing it to various types of nefarious organizations.
It's a sad time in this country/culture that speaking the truth is labelled heretical.

How's the statement go? In a world of liars speaking the truth is a revolutionary act...or something like that.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Not that don’t agree but the original statement was vague as to why he wouldn’t buy a knife made in PRC. It leads the mind to wander.
Best to just come out and say your truth.
Unfortunately vague statements like that have been weaponized in our media on both sides.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

remember when this thread was about prices increasing? maybe a moderator can delete it before it goes any further off topic?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Not that don’t agree but the original statement was vague as to why he wouldn’t buy a knife made in PRC. It leads the mind to wander.
So I don't fill out enough details and the default reaction is to infer I'm racist? Bullshit!

I equate it to what I've found to be true in dealing with people. Invariably every thief thinks everybody else is crooked so why not steal? Everyone else is. People that cheat on taxes will tell you everybody else is cheating too. It shows the workings of peoples minds. The fact that most people don't steal or cheat on taxes never enters into it.

When I say something racist call me on it. I go back to 2003 or 2004 here, maybe longer . It was before the big computer reset where we all had to re join.

j
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Bodog wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:20 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:14 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Daveho wrote:

It's a sad time in this country/culture that speaking the truth is labelled heretical.

How's the statement go? In a world of liars speaking the truth is a revolutionary act...or something like that.

Christ, if you think the US is bad, go to Nazi Europe and the EU !
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I lived in an apartment from 2001 to 2011. First years rent was $525 a month, last year I was there it was $755 and, if I'd stayed, the next was going to be $810.

I have sinus issues and go through a lot of tissues, so I buy a lot of tissues. Try to do FI-FO, but sometimes a box gets pushed to the back and stays there. Price has been pretty consistent over the past few years. However, I have one box now that's maybe 5 years old. It has 220 sheets Another box from last year was 200 sheets. New ones are 185. So I'm paying the same, but getting less.

Costs go up, so either prices go up, or sizes goes down, or quality goes down, or a company risks losing money and going out of business. Personally, given those choices, I'd rather the price goes up.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:47 am
I can see how it reads that way but rest assured that’s not the intent-
I’m genuinely curious what specifically it is about PRC you object to- or if it is just that you object to the Chinese generally, unfortunately when Chinese made knives comes up that’s a disappointingly common comment (obviously in less polite phrasing)
I've seen way too much from PRC businesses to have any trust at all in their products. ****, they have killed a lot of people not to mention the tens of thousands of pets.

You said this earlier:
I can understand-however I’m happier when foreign owned companies with some iota of morality run and manage factories in China
When it comes to the knife business the western manufacturers are not running anything there. They are buying a product and hopefully QC'ing the heck out of it. Even with that some have been burned. No one trusts them without checking and stays in business without eventually having problems.

Then there are the political reasons. More than enough for me but as you say this isn't the place for that usually. If it was race based why isn't there a pushback here ( or from me) about Taiwan made product? Same race, same .....country....kind of. :) They are held in very high esteem by those around here including me.

In our current state of things being labeled racist is about as bad a problem as someone can have. Perhaps you can use more care when asking questions that can seem to infer racism towards someone.

Joe
Out of curiosity, when you have a company that owns and operates it’s own factory in another country does that change things for you?
For example in the guitar world many look down on one companies products made in Mexico dispite being owned and operated by the privately owned company and infact there have been a few reports of staff tracking between factories.

As far as the world of fakes goes, well that’s another issue all together
I see them as being essentially the same product-
Yes the USA made costs more but they reserve higher end models
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:48 am
So I don't fill out enough details and the default reaction is to infer I'm racist? Bullshit!

I equate it to what I've found to be true in dealing with people. Invariably every thief thinks everybody else is crooked so why not steal? Everyone else is. People that cheat on taxes will tell you everybody else is cheating too. It shows the workings of peoples minds. The fact that most people don't steal or cheat on taxes never enters into it.

When I say something racist call me on it. I go back to 2003 or 2004 here, maybe longer . It was before the big computer reset where we all had to re join.

j
Joe, I apologize for the offense, not the intent. I have seen you on here for many years and appreciate when you chime in. Not everyone knows you. That’s all I was trying to say.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Joe, I apologize for the offense, not the intent. I have seen you on here for many years and appreciate when you chime in. Not everyone knows you. That’s all I was trying to say.
Of course they don't all know me. That really doesn't change anything the way I see it. Until I say something racist I shouldn't have to worry whether someone will accuse me of it or question if it is the reason for my dislike of PRC business practices. No logical train goes from A to B to "Are you racist?". That is Guerilla debating garbage best left elsewhere on college campuses or twitter not here on Spyderco's forums.

J
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:47 pm
remember when this thread was about prices increasing? maybe a moderator can delete it before it goes any further off topic?
i do remember that. those were the good ol' days.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

ladybug93 wrote: ↑
25 Dec 2018 23:47

I talk to myself too sometimes. :)

J
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm
ladybug93 wrote: ↑
25 Dec 2018 23:47

I talk to myself too sometimes. :)

J
Good eye. That's funny :D
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I haven't really noticed a price increase in Europe, specifically the Netherlands. A pm2 in s30v was €170-175 years back and still is now. I did notice the price increases on USA based stores.
Does this mean eu prices have been overcharging all along? Perhaps.
I'm wondering how this will go on in the future, I am already used to paying a rough 40 euro more per model but it's already pushing it, much more and I will probably have to rethink my spending habits.
I am looking forward to the pm2 maxamet which my retailer says is coming in a month (?) even though 235 euros is a STEEP price.

You're killing me, but I get it.
Ric

Post by Ric »

PM2 S30V 210€ (239$)
PM2 maxamet in Austria/Germany 300€ (340$)

Prices in EU are a bit more stable but higher already.
We always pay more then US. For cars, clothes, ...
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Ric wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:11 am
PM2 S30V 210€ (239$)
PM2 maxamet in Austria/Germany 300€ (340$)

Prices in EU are a bit more stable but higher already.
We always pay more then US. For cars, clothes, ...
Why do you expect to pay the same as the US ?

That's because you have higher costs to cover - like significantly higher wages, VAT etc.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.