52100 patina ???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RobDigi

52100 patina ???

Post by RobDigi »

I"m thinking about the Para 3 exclusive CF 52100 ..
I think I would like some forced patina
..is this the best way to resist rust?
..is it possible to get a patina going without taking the knife apart?
appreciate any observation from experienced with use.
TkoK83Spy

Re: 52100 patina ???

Post by TkoK83Spy »

From what I've seen or heard, this steel patinas extremely easily. You may not even need to force it. If you regularly cut some citrus/acidic fruits, salty meats, cook with vinegar...you'll develop a patina quite easily.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I forced a patina on the 52100 PM2. I did three 15-minute baths in apple cider vinegar. Between each bath I'd rinse the blade in running water. Oh yeah, I disassembled the knife and forced a patina on the whole blade. I put a patina on an Opinel as well. I just showed the blade into a lemon. I left it in for 15 minutes, cleaned it off, and stuck it back into the lemon. It was a pretty easy affair. I say go for it.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

RobDigi wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:28 pm
I"m thinking about the Para 3 exclusive CF 52100 ..
I think I would like some forced patina
..is this the best way to resist rust?
..is it possible to get a patina going without taking the knife apart?
appreciate any observation from experienced with use.

I have this knife (love Para 3s) and have been using it extensively the last few weeks. I dislike patinas and this is my first Spyderco I didn't get new (traded a Kabar choppa with custom leather sheath ). So I took the knife apart to buff out the light patina that formed already and sand /shine the carbon scales. There was some light rust spots around the pivot. ..but everything cleaned up nicely. I'm trying Aegis EDCI on the blade to see how it holds up.

Here's a great video on the PM2 52100 that talks about forcing a patina and proper sharpening afterwards. https://youtu.be/DwjptFJkgms

It's a great knife ...hope you enjoy it.

James
Last edited by Extra330SC on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would avoid doing the pivot area.

I did mine naturally with some red onions. It makes a nice rainbow effect at first but it turns gray fairly quick. I've since polished it off and keep it lightly coated with Vaseline.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

As others have said, you can just use the knife normally for small food prep tasks and it will patina on it's own very nicely. I absolutely love the PM2 52100 for it's supreme sharpness, and I really need to pick up a Para3.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

is this the best way to resist rust?
Nope. Regular simple maintenance is the best and only real way to resist rust. Patina is a form of rust. The whole idea about forcing a patina comes from people who didn't want to maintain their non stainless knife. Somehow it then developed into people saying they like the looks.It became a fad of sorts much like acid pre washed and torn jeans. :o

I personally don't like the look of rust of any kind and don't mind what little work it takes to keep mine shiny. ( clean the corrosive stuff off if present then oil or wax, 2 to 3 minutes all in) We are all different. Don't get the idea that forcing a patina is a necessary thing, or something everyone does. If it is what you like though than it is a good idea....for you. :)

Joe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:21 am
is this the best way to resist rust?
Nope. Regular simple maintenance is the best and only real way to resist rust. Patina is a form of rust. The whole idea about forcing a patina comes from people who didn't want to maintain their non stainless knife. Somehow it then developed into people saying they like the looks.It became a fad of sorts much like acid pre washed and torn jeans. :o

I personally don't like the look of rust of any kind and don't mind what little work it takes to keep mine shiny. ( clean the corrosive stuff off if present then oil or wax, 2 to 3 minutes all in) We are all different. Don't get the idea that forcing a patina is a necessary thing, or something everyone does. If it is what you like though than it is a good idea....for you. :)

Joe
Everything Joe said. :cool:

I’ll pull a carbon steel knife apart to lube in order to prevent it from rusting and save myself heartbreak down the track like the rust you couldn’t see around your pivot. I wouldn’t however, pull a knife apart to rust it in the hope it doesn’t rust.

If it were my knife I’d pull it apart and give the stop pin and blade (at least) a coat of Eezox. With particularly care in and around the pivot and tang, the places you can’t see or access. I’d use a quality synthetic grease, sparingly on the pivot and trust washer, assemble, tune the knife and call it good. ;)

I also believe, if you eat or food prep with the knife it will inevitably discolour naturally (patina) to some extent anyhow, over time. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Patina, which is a black “rust” will protect your blade from the really bad red rust. There was a recent post that linked to scientific testing and proof of this. You can safely patina the entire blade, as the patina is so incredibly small that it doesn’t affect the pivot. I’ve done this with white vinegar to three blades in the last week or so. Of the three, one had a slightly gritty action for the first few flips, but this could be attributable to just about anything and it has been glass smooth since.