Knives you didn't expect to like so much, or vice versa

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMSIII

Re: Knives you didn't expect to like so much, or vice versa

Post by JMSIII »

My P3's, I have big hands and when I first heal a P3, I didn't care for them. But now I love them and have 2 of them! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dreadpirate wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:46 pm
So I just got the Stretch 2 today. As far as the handle goes, I like the 2 better than the 1. As far as the blade shape goes? hmm - jury is still out.
Thanks for taking the time to share your first impressions with me. If you'd report back again after some more experience with the Stretch 2 I'd really apreciate that.
Like I said: The Stretch 1 has something very unique, the Stretch 2 lacks that uniquness imho. Thinking about it, I probably can't even say that the Stretch 1 is the BETTER knife (they Stretch 2 is a great design also).. It's more like there is a place for both of them and I wish both were still in production.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Soup

Post by Soup »

I thought I would like the Para 3 and the Military as the PM 2 is one of my absolute favorite models. I still have the Military (CTS 204P) and I try to carry it every now and then but I am not sure what makes me put it away. Probably only the tip down position. I will still keep this one. I have had 3 of the Para 3 models and still have the Cru-wear, but I just can't get a comfortable grip with it. It feels much too small and I will probably pass this one off like I did the others. Neither knife feels as good as the PM 2 in this design.

I feel the same way about the Sage 5. It is a nice knife and I like the blade design. It is very similar to the Manix 2 which I also love and have many models of, but I don't think that I have picked up the Sage in over a year.

I was worried I would feel the same about the Native 5, but I really like the way that it feels, and I am considering a few more of them.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

silvershade255 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:47 am
For me it's the spyderco khukuri. I picked it up just because I thought turning a big chopper blade into a small pocket folder was such a neat idea, and it's pretty much become the main edc. I think I like how small it carries (have to check out a baby jess horn next I think).

PM2 is the one I expected to really love, but it's just okay for me. The point of the nub at the end of the handle is right where my pinkie finger wants to go, it's easy to adjust to but if I haven't carried it in a couple days I notice immediately on picking it up.
Interesting that you say the Khukhri. That's a Spyderco I've been regretting missing for a while. I really hope they Sprint run it soon.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Time for my .02 cents! I didn’t expect to like or love the Rhino at all. **** I wasn’t even going to buy one, but then I won the Fathers Day giveaway by the one and only Mr. Michael Reinhold on this awesome forum, one of the best stand up guys here!, and it has rode backup to whatever folder I have in my pocket every day! It is such an AWESOME Little Big Knife! I hope you all have an awesome 2019, and thanks again to the regulars here! I really appreciate you guys! I wish we could get back to the way things use to be without so much negativity. Happy New Years!
Josh
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’ve been eyeing this thread for a bit, and I have to chime in on the Manix 2. Before I get too crazy, I’d like to admit that I have recently ordered an orange Manix 2 LW. I have tried the clear blue, as I love the color and it was suggest by mr fancy (Nutnfancy) and I have yet to hear bad advice from him.
It’s a seemingly great design, but I just can’t seem to like it. I’ve also had the LW XHP version, as well as the blue G10 S30V, and burled G10 S90V. I sold the burled G10 because I didn’t expect the non skeletonized liners, and I eventually sold the blue because it wasn’t getting carried. I also sold both lightweights because they weren’t getting carry time either. I sold the XHP because it was more of a practice blade for sharpening, and was covered in scratches. Here’s to hoping the orange S90V CS will be a keeper! Some of my frustration was with the wire pocket clip, but I’ve since gotten used to it and tend to prefer it for the deep carry aspect. I just dislike how flimsy the clip is during use. I tend to use the clip as a anchor point for grip. I’m assuming I need to find another way to position my fingers during use to avoid this.
Either way, the Manix 2 is a model I expected to love, but I have yet to do so.

Edit: I have yet to try the rhino, but it’s definitely on my list!
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

If I had to pick one probably the Southard. I never really planned on buying one but stumbled into a good deal on one and gave it a shot. Reminds me of the Domino a little bit, smooth action and super slicey blade.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I like the Para 3 a lot more than i thought I would. Not enough to buy one, because it's still too short and heavy for me, and has no lockback. But it's way more comfortable in hand than I expected, and if I needed a small heavy-duty work knife then I'd go for it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

embry386 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm
I like the Para 3 a lot more than i thought I would. Not enough to buy one, because it's still too short and heavy for me, and has no lockback. But it's way more comfortable in hand than I expected, and if I needed a small heavy-duty work knife then I'd go for it.
Try the Stretch 2 it is great.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 am
I was gifted a PITS - never would have spent the money on it, but wooooow
This.

It is my only Slipjoint and the only one I will own. I don't use it, but I have it just incase I have to travel(air) to a place with crazy restrictions.

I paid less than $100 bucks for each of the two I have. Couldn't pass up the prices.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There have been several spydies I didn't expect to like, but then did so very much. I got the Walker CF sprint run as a gift, I never would have bought it - thinking the right-hand only design wouldn't work left-handed. Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I carried and used the knife for a week. I'll never let it go.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Spyderco Para 3.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

The SE matriarch 2 really took me by surprise this year. Pull cut heaven! My se Millie’s finally have some pocket competition.
I’m not the greatest fan of the ergo’s on endura style handle but hey.. it works.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK