It's time for a new Calypso!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Superblue Calypso?

Yes!
80%
No!
20%

Total votes: 49

Sumdumguy

It's time for a new Calypso!

Post by Sumdumguy »

I was using my newly repurchased Calypso at my companies christmas party tonight thinking about how nice it is.

I wonder why it fell to the wayside? I had one for a while, sold it recently and instantly turned around and bought another. It is a great knife with nice ergonomics, I won't be selling this one.

Infact, with the recent release of the Caly Jr. Superblue, I think it would be a great time for a Superblue Calypso to complete the family!

Anyone else want an SB Calypso?

Here's a picture of it next to it's insanely overpriced little brother.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
attila

Re: It's time for a new Calypso!

Post by attila »

I would like one too, but I'd hesitate to ask for Superblue as all 3 of my Superblue Spydie blades are warped from the factory. In a blade as long as that gorgeous Calypso, I worry that the noticeable warping of smaller blades could be a major issue. Perhaps a Z-wear, K490, K390, or some other steel would be an acceptable alternative.

With all that nonsense said, I'd still buy one.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd love to have a Super Blue Calypso. Unclad, with screws, not pins like the Calypso Jr Sprint Run.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

To everyone who voted no, can we get a reason?
Have you ever used one?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NO!!! I want the one pictured on the right hand side>> yeah the big C-54 Calypso. And I don't care if it's the brown G-10 handle or if they want to go back to the original Micarta handle. The C-54 is truly one of the very best models from The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS (1998-2004). A new C-54 Calypso in a Supersteel would be a great way to start the new year 2019.

I would also love a new rendition of the C-52 Calypso JR. I would want a return to the Micarta handle that they had in the AUS-8 era. And a full Spyderedged version of both of them :cool:
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

I'd be happy with any new super blue release. I just really love super blue :)
shaztecs_knives on instagram
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a C54 Calypso in almost any flavor. Green/HAP40 would be great too. It is a brilliant design.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:52 am
I would buy a C54 Calypso in almost any flavor. Green/HAP40 would be great too. It is a brilliant design.
Thank you for your support BFK because for years I've thought that the C-54 Calypso is the literal "Grandfather" of the entire Calypso series of Spyderco's In House designs. I would go bunkers for a C-54 in HAP-40 or any other Japanese Supersteel for that matter.

I will not ever forget just how awesome my original C-54 Calypso in full Spyderedge was. I was a complete idiot for trading that one away like I did. I was thinking it wouldn't be hard to find a replacement Spyderedged C-54.

The C-54 Calypso was truly a victim of having so many other great Spyderco models that were peaking at the time of it's release. It was truly overshadowed by models like the Viele, The JD Smith, The Herbst and about 5 others I could mention>> it was one super Spyderco model that literally got lost in the shuffle :(
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Having recently acquired my first C54 Calypso, I now think this design is Sal’s most graceful.

But I don’t want its lines trashed by ugly lamination grinds, so, a premiere Japanese steel that is uncladded for me. Super Blue appeals.

Given the tariffs, however, I don’t hold out much hope.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:37 am
I now think this design is Sal’s most graceful.
I agree! Just thinking, compared to the Police 4 perhaps they're too similar. To differentiate the Calypso I would love to see it reincarnated with screwed construction, CF scales, flow thru handle with polished standoffs, and a compression lock.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Keen for this and the 3.5. I have a preference for stainless steel but I’m guessing a sprint wouldn’t be and I could live with that
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm in for a full size Caly Sprint. The Caly 3 and 3.5 have great ergos, but the Calypso is more my size.
:unicorn
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I got the brown sprint last year and LOVE it! t this point I'd buy another regardless of blade steel or scale color, just bring it on. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:12 am
I got the brown sprint last year and LOVE it! t this point I'd buy another regardless of blade steel or scale color, just bring it on. :)
But if any model deserves a new blade steel it would be the C-54 Calypso. However if they would offer the C-54 Calypso in full Spyderedge I wouldn't gripe at all if they did that in VG-10>> because VG-10 is actually a good steel for Spyderedges.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It’s time for both a new Calypso and a new Caly 3.5, in Super Blue or whatever (I’d prefer K390 or M390 though). There are a couple missing Caly 3.5 variants that exist as the Caly 3 (I’ve been pining for a Damascus 3.5 with contoured CF scales and bolsters forever, but Sal continues to torment me... ;)). I’d be very happy with a new Calypso as well.

In the meantime, several knives come to mind that very much fill that niche, most notably the Police 4. Other slimmer offerings that I find quite Caly-like are the Pattada, Hungarian (man what an awesome knife!), and the new Kapara. The Kapara in particular is very appealing to me and has already achieved mega-star status in my EDC roundup, having a very Caly-ish flow to it with the lovely contoured CF scales AND my favorite - the compression lock! If pressed to recommend the full size Calypso and the Kapara, the gold goes to the Kapara IMHO. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:38 pm
It’s time for both a new Calypso and a new Caly 3.5, in Super Blue or whatever (I’d prefer K390 or M390 though). There are a couple missing Caly 3.5 variants that exist as the Caly 3 (I’ve been pining for a Damascus 3.5 with contoured CF scales and bolsters forever, but Sal continues to torment me... ;)). I’d be very happy with a new Calypso as we
Thank you!! RadioactiveSpyder :) that pic of that Spyderedged C-54 Calypso really made my evening :) And believe me EVIL D is right when he discovered that full flat grind blades tend to utilize Spyderedges better than any other blade grind. Also that classic Micarta handle is truly a work of art. Even the Calypso Junior in AUS-8, Micarta handle was a little mega-beast in Spyderedge>> no wonder so many collectors look for that one in particular.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Police4 is a bit bigger. I agree that the Pattada is similar (and maybe better) than the C54. Honestly, the Endura is pretty similar too.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Yes. I bought a brown Calypso at full MSRP and have no regrets.
Tims

Post by Tims »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm
The Police4 is a bit bigger. I agree that the Pattada is similar (and maybe better) than the C54. Honestly, the Endura is pretty similar too.

Interesting comparison between the Police 4 & the Calypso. Makes me want a Calypso even more!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:49 pm
Very nice! :cool: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin