Spyderco and Abel join forces

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marty_E

Spyderco and Abel join forces

Post by Marty_E »

Not sure if this has been posted. I have always like the anodized fish scales Abel places on their reel. They do it again with Spyderco's Native 5.

https://abelreels.com/products/fishing- ... f31fa1e584
Attachments
spyderco-group.jpg
Ferris Wheels

Re: Spyderco and Abel join forces

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Nice but out of my price range for that knife.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Hahahaha. Nice knives, but that price has got to be some kind of practical joke.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wow, they're pricey but those are really cool. I have a friend who would go crazy for one (or all) of those! :spyder:

The anodizing looks great! I've always wondered why anodized aluminum isn't used more on knives. It's not exactly a high end material, but it doesn't need to be. It's easy to machine and in terms of anodizing takes color much better than titanium.
-Nick :bug-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I was going to buy one right now, clicked the link and...
HAHAHA!!!

That's really too bad about that price, I'd buy one around $150-$175. $380 is insane for a scale swap, maybe they meant to hit the 1 and hit the 4...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Agree with all above.. Very cool, but no way $495 cool. I could push my boat to $200, but that's it.
Too bad..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PStone

Post by PStone »

They state that the handle has been redesigned for added grip and security. I do notice that there is a contoured cutout in the forward choil. I also assume the backspacers are aluminum as well since they’re anodized too.

Are there more changes that could account for the “inflated” price?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

$400 custom scales?
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I like the Native Brown a lot! The Native doesn’t fit my hand well, but I’d still own that one if the price was more in range.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm
Hahahaha. Nice knives, but that price has got to be some kind of practical joke.
Sumdumguy wrote: I was going to buy one right now, clicked the link and...
HAHAHA!!!

That's really too bad about that price, I'd buy one around $150-$175. $380 is insane for a scale swap, maybe they meant to hit the 1 and hit the 4...
*edit* sorry dirtmcgirt *edit*

Maybe you guys missed the "Hand Painted" part. I had a relative who hand painted fishing lures and other things to look like fish scales. It's neither easy or cheap. These are functional works of art.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:41 pm
Pelagic wrote:
HAHAHA!!!

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Maybe you guys missed the "Hand Painted" part. I had a relative who hand painted fishing lures and other things to look like fish scales. It's neither easy or cheap. These are functional works of art.
No, I'm thinking it's more likely that you didn't see where the decimal point was in the price tag. I've spent my entire life fishing and made my own lures. An insane price is an insane price.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
HAHAHA!!!

DirtMcGirt wrote:

Even so...hand painted lures are not anywhere near $400...I will be extremely surprised if these actually sell enough to recoup the machining and inventory already produced. I might be able to understand hand painted aluminum scales for $200, but I just can't honestly say that $400 seems anywhere near reasonable. I would really like to see pictures though if any of you guys pick one up...
So it goes.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Why mention $400? $495 is $500 all day long. The biggest purpose this will serve is determining where the market exists. If there are enough wealthy collectors to make this sell out quickly, it was a good idea and it may happen again.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mmm ... I stumbled on Abel, looking for Braid Nip’s a while back.

Check these out (with S35V inserts) and note the price difference on different paint jobs. :rolleyes:

https://abelreels.com/nipper.html
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
agony

Post by agony »

Cool, but pricey.
I've owned several Abel reels for decades now, and they are still my favourite. My wife got me a pair of their pliers as a gift a few years ago.
PStone

Post by PStone »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
HAHAHA!!!

DirtMcGirt wrote:

I did not miss the hand anodized part. You missed the quotes around the word inflated. They were meant to add sarcasm to the meaning of inflated.

Price is all that had been mentioned. No one is at all wondering what the resigned handle means? There is a reason the price is higher than we are used to. I am wondering why. But you removed that part of my post from your quote of it. Which in my opinion, has removed the context of my post. And made me seem like a complainer. I’ve never balked at Spydercos pricing, nor had it be a deciding factor in my purchase.

I would also like to add that 495 is the MSRP. Not the discounted price we are used to seeing. Which at 30% puts it at 346.50. Which isn’t wholly unreasonable. But it is their exclusive and they don’t have to do MAP pricing if they don’t want to. I will almost certainly end up with one. And am curious about the changes to one of my favorite designs.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:10 pm
I did not miss the hand anodized part. You missed the quotes around the word inflated. They were meant to add sarcasm to the meaning of inflated.

Price is all that had been mentioned. No one is at all wondering what the resigned handle means? There is a reason the price is higher than we are used to. I am wondering why. But you removed that part of my post from your quote of it. Which in my opinion, has removed the context of my post. And made me seem like a complainer. I’ve never balked at Spydercos pricing, nor had it be a deciding factor in my purchase.

I would also like to add that 495 is the MSRP. Not the discounted price we are used to seeing. Which at 30% puts it at 346.50. Which isn’t wholly unreasonable. But it is their exclusive and they don’t have to do MAP pricing if they don’t want to. I will almost certainly end up with one. And am curious about the changes to one of my favorite designs.
Sorry about that DirtMcgirt. I was just shortening my already long post. You are right I cut out the context. I should have read that closer. My bad.

I was surprised by peoples reaction to the price. If they can find someone to hand paint a Spyderco like that for cheaper, they should do it I guess.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pm
Mmm ... I stumbled on Abel, looking for Braid Nip’s a while back.

Check these out (with S35V inserts) and note the price difference on different paint jobs. :rolleyes:

https://abelreels.com/nipper.html
difference noted.
$85 anodized black
$165 paint job

$495 paint job

PStone

Post by PStone »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Sorry about that DirtMcgirt. I was just shortening my already long post. You are right I cut out the context. I should have read that closer. My bad.

I was surprised by peoples reaction to the price. If they can find someone to hand paint a Spyderco like that for cheaper, they should do it I guess.
Roger that! I just don’t want you to think I was moaning about money. It’s just money. It’s what I trade my money for that makes me happy. So that’s all that matters in the end. And Spydercos make me happy. So Ill trade however much money I need to. Good thing it’s dropping around tax refund time :D

I am actually really anxious to know more of the redesign they speak of more than anything right now. I also noticed the backspacers seem be recessed and the edges of the scale smoothed. I bet that helps increase grip in the palm.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd love to see one up close.