Spyderco Caribbean LC200N SE V.S. H1 SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spyderco Caribbean LC200N SE V.S. H1 SE

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hi I have ordered two Caribbean Salt knives one of which is SE and own a Spyderco Pacific Salt SE in H1.

Short of destroying my knives I am willing to go through testing for the members of this forum.

I am calling upon the Forum Members and or Spyderco founders, Family and staff to devise what they think will be a fair test.

Tell me how you want them sharpened on the Spyderco Sharpmaker and what you will accept as a good test and during the time between Christmas and New Years I will perform the tests agreed upon and post the results.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Spyderco Caribbean LC200N SE V.S. H1 SE

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This is an amazing and welcome opportunity. I hope more people chime in on this. Alright, here are some test ideas I have for you to try if you want:

1 Cutting up various fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, breads, and other foods, and show us the results. Please make sure you or others eat the food so it does not go to waste.

2 Pack each blade in concentrated salt and show us if there is any rust damage to the blades.

3 This may be getting too close to the "Not destroy it" matter but: Bend the blades of each in a strong vice, with all safety to protect yourself, and try to bend the blades into a U shape and then bend them back.

PS: It is up to you if you truly want to carry out the above tests. If you do, it is your choice. Please exercise appropriate safety measures.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Agree upon all except a vice, do not own one and Will not bend blades :spyder:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Hmmm I really do need a vice.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What is your experience with H1? No offense but that's the comparison I'm most interested in, and if you aren't well versed in H1/SE then it wouldn't benefit me quite as much, though I am curious how LC compares in just PE vs SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 pm
What is your experience with H1? No offense but that's the comparison I'm most interested in, and if you aren't well versed in H1/SE then it wouldn't benefit me quite as much, though I am curious how LC compares in just PE vs SE.
This.

In view of we know H1 in PE vs SE

And then a comparison from knowledgeable people of SE H1 vs LC200N.

However I think we can go over board in testing, we know they are good knives.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm
My thoughts.

Not sure what the test proves apart from abusing / destroying good knives.

Reminds me of the iphone testers who drop multiple iphones to see when the glass shatters !
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well the wild card is H1 and work hardening. If edge retention is so good because if work hardening, does LC benefit the same? I suspect LC/SE will hold an edge longer than in PE just because that's typical of SE (in my experience) but how it compares to H1/SE is the real question. We know PE vs PE that LC is a significant step up in edge retention, but in SE is a different story.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 pm
No offense taken, please submit your criteria.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 pm
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm
My thoughts.

Not sure what the test proves apart from abusing / destroying good knives.

Reminds me of the iphone testers who drop multiple iphones to see when the glass shatters !
No not like that I am not that wealthy, please submit your criteria there will be no destruction of good knives keeping it real. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Concerning work hardening of H1 just let me know what you want. Sal said it so we have to go with it.

So far H1 test blade has cut allot of card board and food has been sharpened on Brown stones of Sharpmaker at least 100 times each side. Anything else let me know. Thank you all I am equally interested in the results.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Side of pork or meat but must have tough skin like a pig - hair off

Dead animal with fur on it (and the usual dirt/grit/mud ingrained) and slice it 1 cm apart
and see what effect it has on the blade - if you can tell. Need something like paper or
soft to test afterwards.

Will think of others.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:52 pm
Bend the blades of each in a strong vice, with all safety to protect yourself, and try to bend the blades into a U shape and then bend them back.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A good comparison between SE in both steels would be slicing tests on manila rope two different ways, clean rope and dirty rope. This is relevant because SE is well known to be excellent for cutting fibrous materials. Dirty rope cut by SE adds an element of abrasion resistance to the edge stability testing. Dirty rope cutting is also a real world sort of task.

Cutting on a scale measures the down force required to make the cuts - you’ll want video recording the scale readout because it’s hard to track in real time. Figure a force level to set as a cutoff point.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Bend the blades of each in a strong vice, with all safety to protect yourself, and try to bend the blades into a U shape and then bend them back.
:p My feelings exactly!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
:p My feelings exactly!
Still laughing 😂
Doeswhateveraspidercan

No Animal hair, sorry not a hunter. The rest is okay. What diameter of Manila rope? What qualifies as dirty? Please provide a link to a good not too terribly expensive scale will purchase.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm
Well the wild card is H1 and work hardening. If edge retention is so good because if work hardening, does LC benefit the same? I suspect LC/SE will hold an edge longer than in PE just because that's typical of SE (in my experience) but how it compares to H1/SE is the real question. We know PE vs PE that LC is a significant step up in edge retention, but in SE is a different story.
You’ve been using SE H1 a lot right? How would you compare it to SE VG-10? I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to VG-10.

I’ve seen a lot of repetition of the statement by Sal that SE H1 beats SE in anything else (or whatever the exact claim was). But I haven’t heard really anyone say, “****, since I started carry SE H1 I hardly ever sharpen anymore”.
Last edited by zhyla on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 pm
I think LC200N is supposed to be comparable to LC200N.
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm
No Animal hair, sorry not a hunter. The rest is okay. What diameter of Manila rope? What qualifies as dirty? Please provide a link to a good not too terribly expensive scale will purchase.
Drag it through a puddle, mix some dirt in a bucket and dunk the rope in it, then wash it/most of the mud off.

If you are near the sea, drag it through the sand/salt water.

As long as it's consistent.