Are we already feeling the effects?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Are we already feeling the effects?

Post by awa54 »

I'm talking about the "Reveal" policy... It seems like there are already fewer threads about future releases, after all, why mull over the why and wherefore of these nebulous upcoming designs If we know there won't be any confirmations or teasers from Sal? Not to mention that only the few who can make it to the meets and shows will even know there are upcoming/prototype knives in the works...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
sal

Re: Are we already feeling the effects?

Post by sal »

Hi David,

I find myself still discussing possibilities for designs which is more R&D that hint. I believe the first "Reveal" will be in January. As usual we've got quite a few new models to offer.

Wile the majority of discussion is between forumites on many subjects, for me, the knowledge here as well as the interest and passion offer an effective platform for R&D.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not sure why everyone thinks there won't be new models to discuss in time before they're released in 2019 onward. A good number of exclusives and even sprints that everyone gets so excited for don't end up being revealed anyway until we get a teaser off Instagram or see something from Wouter at the Amsterdam meet (or the other various meets they're now doing in other locations). When the older catalogs were released, yes we'd get a list of 6-8 upcoming sprints, but those groups pale in comparison to what RamZar tabulates in his annual accounting threads of all the sprints/exclusives released that year. I bet we'll still get several weeks of heads-up or more when a new hot model is about to drop, and hopefully that will give folks time to save up for them. It just seems folks are making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary, given it's really not that much different from their previous MO of announcing new releases.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Is there going to be an Amsterdam meet in 2019? And will Wouter be allowed to post images?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm
Is there going to be an Amsterdam meet in 2019? And will Wouter be allowed to post images?
I sure hope for the former since i have already been saving money for the trip :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Liquid Cobra wrote:

Eric is doing the Meets these days (one in Netherlands and one in Taiwan). I don't know yet what his plans are for posting pictures. I'm sure Wouter will be there.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It'll all just build up and happen after the reveal. I'd say postponed more than "felt" if that makes sense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Eric is doing the Meets these days (one in Netherlands and one in Taiwan). I don't know yet what his plans are for posting pictures. I'm sure Wouter will be there.

sal
I suppose there's nothing that would persuade you to come to A-dam Sal? :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm
It'll all just build up and happen after the reveal. I'd say postponed more than "felt" if that makes sense.
Once the reveals start and are regular it will all feel normal.
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Please reveal a red g10 M390 Military through DLT!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, 2 questions about this:

1 Will there be numerous/more than one catalog/product guide printed supplement as a result, or will it still remain one that is sent out?

2 In regards to the Taiwan meet, would there be Spyderco knives for sale there or is it mostly an event to see the new upcoming items?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Fine by me. Clears up the clutter and people can post about the Spyderco knives they have instead of complaining about how long it's taking for <insert upcoming release here> to come out.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

1. One main catalog and "Reveals" 2 or 3 times per year.

2. The meet is near a knife store and the owners of the knife store help us arrange the "Meet". No knives sold at the meet, but the store is very well stocked.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 pm
Fine by me. Clears up the clutter and people can post about the Spyderco knives they have instead of complaining about how long it's taking for <insert upcoming release here> to come out.
Yeah we’re an obsessive group when something isn’t available yet. Speaking of which, where’s that Bow River??? :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 am
Halfneck wrote:
Yeah we’re an obsessive group when something isn’t available yet. Speaking of which, where’s that Bow River??? :)
I think the cows are still being raised to eventually slaughter for the leather.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

91bravo wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:46 pm
Please reveal a red g10 M390 Military through DLT!

I'll see your DLT Red Millie and raise you a Red G10 DLC 4V Millie from St Nicks...man do I want one of those!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

And this folks is exactly why Spyderco has decided to keep upcoming releases close to the vest until they're about to drop...
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 am
Halfneck wrote:
Second on that. I need to get my hands on a Bow River! Still a December release? It's getting down to the wire!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

BigGrove wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 pm
And this folks is exactly why Spyderco has decided to keep upcoming releases close to the vest until they're about to drop...
And this thread

LC200N Native 5 Salt. Still no knife. Come on! When???
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
cwp

Post by cwp »

Two or three reveals a year isn't really much different from seeing the new releases in the product guide and the mid-year update. If they were doing a separate reveal for every single new knife or sprint, that would be one thing, but if there're only going to have a handful of unveilings a year then it's not that far from the new product guide just being delayed by a month or so.