Spydiechef vs Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Spydiechef vs Kapara

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both.

Either will work in the kitchen. But, so too, will most any other Spydie folder.

The question is whether you will be OK with the adjustments you must make to accommodate the amount of belly and the angle of attack the Chef and Kapara differently offer.

The Kapara is less demanding IMHO.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I bought the Spydiechef a while ago and I plan on keeping it; I had a Kapara for about two weeks, then I sold it.
I prefer the flatter handle scales of the Chef, and the fact that I can wash the whole knife and not worry about corrosion.
I dislike the smoothness of the Kapara and its lack of jimping.
Hayes0728

Post by Hayes0728 »

jimmd wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm
I own a SpydieChef and have been thinking of getting a Kapara, so this discussion intrigues me. I'd love to hear from even more owners of both. The SpydieChef is my favorite knife for <$250, and in my personal collection that puts it before 13 other knives, including 4 Spydercos. It's great to think there may be another Spyderco at the same level of practical excellence as the SpydieChef. I do love the edge the SpydieChef takes and its supreme slicing action.

I ended up selling all my other knives because my spydiechef and Kapara do all I need them to. These are both excellent knives. Both great slicers (I prefer slicey knives because I only use my knives for cutting...not prying, battoning, etc...). I’m an arborist (tree climber) in the South East. I sweat a lot in the summer and have rusted a few knives leaving them in my pocket all day. The LC200N steel is great for the summer As I don’t have to worry about it rusting. I prefer the kapara for its ergos, blade shape and beauty a little over the chef. Although the chef was my favorite knife before I got my hands on the Kapara. I use the Chef as my summertime knife and my Kapara the rest of the time. If the Kapara was available in an LC200N/rust resistant version, I would only need one knife (would be my grail knife)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Double post (sorry, problems with the laptop...)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hayes0728 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 pm

I own a SpydieChef and have been thinking of getting a Kapara, so this discussion intrigues me. I'd love to hear from even more owners of both. The SpydieChef is my favorite knife for <$250, and in my personal collection that puts it before 13 other knives, including 4 Spydercos. It's great to think there may be another Spyderco at the same level of practical excellence as the SpydieChef. I do love the edge the SpydieChef takes and its supreme slicing action.

I ended up selling all my other knives because my spydiechef and Kapara do all I need them to. These are both excellent knives. Both great slicers (I prefer slicey knives because I only use my knives for cutting...not prying, battoning, etc...). I’m an arborist (tree climber) in the South East. I sweat a lot in the summer and have rusted a few knives leaving them in my pocket all day. The LC200N steel is great for the summer As I don’t have to worry about it rusting. I prefer the kapara for its ergos, blade shape and beauty a little over the chef. Although the chef was my favorite knife before I got my hands on the Kapara. I use the Chef as my summertime knife and my Kapara the rest of the time. If the Kapara was available in an LC200N/rust resistant version, I would only need one knife (would be my grail knife)

I had a Kapara once and it was great, just sold it cause I needed the funds for a HAP40 Stretch 1 that I wanted even more...

But with that being said: Being a tree climber, don´t you sometimes wish for a grippier handle (and maybe an easier accessible lock tab) on the Kapara? Those where the two things that bothered me a tiny bit on mine.
Don´t get me wrong: The Carbon handle is very beautifull and feels great and smooth in hand, but, again, a bit too slippery in some conditions...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Big50 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 pm
I have both.
I prefer the Spydiechef in the kitchen. For me, the geometry works better at food tasks. Also, if things get a little damp, I find it easier to maintain a reassuring grip due to its width.

I prefer the Kapara for EDC. It’s chased lots of other knives from my rotation.

Both are amazing and I feel fortunate to have them. Well done Mr. Glesser, Mr. Slysz, and Mr. Phillips!
Same conclusion here. If they made the Kapara with a liner lock and LC200N blade it would be perfect for me. (I do like S30V too btw)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NoFair wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 am
Big50 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 pm
Same conclusion here. If they made the Kapara with a liner lock and LC200N blade it would be perfect for me. (I do like S30V too btw)

+1 on the linerlock
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I do a lot of cooking. Not sandwiches and apples but full course meals for the wife and me to dinner parties. I can only comment on the Kapara I own, and love as an EDC, but not for any kind of meal preperation. Using the proper tool is faster, safer and does a much better job. The proper tool being the kitchen knife.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Attachments
20200122_102749.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
I personally wouldn't buy the chef, even if offered to me for $100. Its such a plain, boring and overpriced knife imo. Kapara, all day!! Beautiful design, handle scales, blade shape.
Could not possibly disagree with you more.

Do you own a Spydiechef ? Methinks not.

S30V is yesterdays tired old trotted out Super Steel.

LC200N totally owns it.

The blade retention is better the honing to a wicked edge is far easier and it will never pit or rust ever, as in never ever.

The chef is light weight, completely impervious to rust, has blade retention on par with CTS-XHP has corrosion resistance on par with H1, Has a cutting surface on par with a full blown Military in a far smaller package.

Enjoy your Kapara, the Spydiechef however should never be underestimated in favor of that.
But that is a purely "spec sheet" ranking - how do they fare in the hand?
S30V is plenty corrosion resistant enough in this purpose
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

I would take the spydiechef. I would like the Kapara more than the Chef if the lock was a frame or liner lock, there's just way too little space in the compression lock area.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have both, and both are great knives. If I could only keep one it would be the spydiechef. And definitely would chose it for food prep over the Kapara.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Kapara for me, after a catch and immediate release on a Spydiechef this weekend. The Spydiechef is a great knife for sure but I prefer the handle ergo’s and lower weight of the Kapara. And the lock.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Kapara for me without question

We have some really nice Spyderco kitchen knives. So I don't look at either of these knives with the intention of using them in the kitchen. I don't typically care for upswept blades and the Chef is way too upswept for me. Plus I already have plenty of titanium frame locks that I'm quite happy with. I knew I wouldn't buy a Chef when it first introduced but the Kapara I was intrigued by immediately. I guess the design was different enough for me that I knew I would have one even if it did have "yesterdays tired old trotted out Super Steel" S30V (which I still enjoy very much and that comment made me lol). I've been extremely happy with the Kapara and the only reason I'd sell it is to buy the CQI version. Still no interest in the Chef for me but for those of you who love it...enjoy!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!