Spydiechef vs Kapara

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Spydiechef vs Kapara

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:48 pm
Both great knives, with the Chef having the better steel (even though I don't mind S30V).

The OP asked to exclude talk of materials, and give feedback on design, mostly.
In that regard, there're a few points I'd like to make.
Firstly, the Chef is a heavier knife, with a much more understated design (to most folk, at least). The Kapara, with it's superb CF scales, as well as the fancy red backspacer is a real show stopper. It is also leaner and takes less pocket space. Real unusual knife design for Spyderco, in terms of how slender it really is.
The Kapara also feels nicer in the hand, as it is less "slabby" due to the contoured and slender handle.

Now, I am not a big fan of either locks, but I can use the frame lock easier with my left hand (I'm not a lefty, but am entirely ambidextrous). Most righties would prefer the compression lock, however. It is more unique to Spyderco, and is a superb lock.
The Chef does get an advantage for it's design if you're going to be cutting on a surface. The Chef has a bigger 'negative" cutting angle and a wider blade - which helps keep those knuckles further away from the cutting surface, and drive more force into what you're cutting.

Somebody mention that the LC200N blade on the Chef is too thick, and while I completely disagree with this statement - I have to admit it is thicker at it's stock than the Kapara. For me, the taller blade counters this trait nicely, though - It allows for a supremely thin cutting edge, even with a thicker stock. It actually is a feature that I absolutely love, since it makes the knife more robust and "hard use" ready.
That's perhaps the biggest difference between the two knives - the Chef feels like a much more robust folder. It feels like a knife you can thrash on, while the Kapara (even though you probably can thrash on it just as hard) feels a bit more delicate. To me, this great robust feel, combined with being a tremendous slicer makes the Chef the perfect EDC folder. That' me, however.

Now, I cannot avoid mentioning that the Chef's ability to survive a highly corrosive environment gives it additional points, and makes it a clear win for me.
But from design stand-point both knives are terrific, and you cannot go wrong with any of them. Just buy the one you like most in terms of its looks, and keep join mind that eventually you'll most likely own both. :)
Nice post but you went there with the steel, lol 😆 it’s ok OP can make unrealistic requests but Sal and Eric made us all steel Junkies 😁
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 pm
S30V is yesterdays tired old trotted out Super Steel.

LC200N totally owns it.

The blade retention is better the honing to a wicked edge is far easier and it will never pit or rust ever, as in never ever.

The chef is light weight, completely impervious to rust, has blade retention on par with CTS-XHP has corrosion resistance on par with H1, Has a cutting surface on par with a full blown Military in a far smaller package.

Enjoy your Kapara, the Spydiechef however should never be underestimated in favor of that.
I really like my Spydiechef. I really like the corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening of LC200N. However, I think you're overstating things a bit. Yes, Pete from Cedric & Ada got excellent cut test results with LC200N. But Lance has said LC200N edge retention is closer to VG-10 in his experience, and Sal has said that Spyderco's internal testing supports Lance's observations. There was also the case of the the LC200N mule with the Halpern scales that corroded. Sal has stated here that Spyderco is still learning what other metals are prone to causing galvanic corrosion and what other materials are prone to causing similar corrosive reactions. Remember the 1st gen 'Chef's steel detent ball rust issue? Remember all the delays on the Carribean and the Native 5 Salt while Spyderco sorted out those types of issues on those knives? Like others here, I wouldn't underestimate S30V - it still has a great mix toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance.
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 pm
I personally wouldn't buy the chef, even if offered to me for $100. Its such a plain, boring and overpriced knife imo. Kapara, all day!! Beautiful design, handle scales, blade shape.
On the other side of the spectrum from doeswhateveraspidercan, I think you're confusing design and objective value. I understand your not liking the design of the Spydiechef, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth the price for the materials and build quality. Perhaps we could have a conversation about objective vs subjective value.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 am
When it comes to these 2 knives, honestly the steel isn't a major factor to me...personally. I wouldn't be heavy using either. I'm also the type that cleans my blade right after using it, especially with foods. So heck, it could be 8cr13mov steel and wouldn't make a difference to me! People so hopped up on the latest and greatest steels tend to forget how good of a steel S30V actually is. It's kind of annoying.

Someone can post of pic of some custom made scales on a knife in S30V, and nobody gives a hoot. Throw those same scales on a knife in M4 or something similar and the forum goes bonkers.

My decision on the 2 really would come down to the design, looks and lock...which you can't tell me the Kapara doesn't blow it out of the water in all 3 phases. Chef is hideous and around $40 more! I'm not swimming around the ocean or cutting through bricks of salt...Kapara wins.
if that’s the case, the resilience makes an outstanding knife for food and it’s way cheaper than everything else mentioned here. i typically cringe at cutting food with folders because it always gets in the pivot. the resilience is nice and long like a kitchen knife and gives plenty of clearance, even for cutting my kids’ pizza. and spyderco seems to do way better with 8cr13mov than other manufacturers i’ve tried. it’s worth a look.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Don´t have a ´Chef to compare the Kapara to, so I just can rate the latter: The Kapara is simply great at food prep, no doubt; Cuts amazingly, and what I like most: If you do like a "pinch grip" on the handle you really can utilize the whole length of the cutting edge when cutting against a surface (cutting board). But by design the Chef will have the same capability conerning that
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth...

I don't own a Spydiechef (yet), but I have researched its design quite a bit, and I own a Kapara. Over this past weekend, I disassembled my Kapara because there was too much resistance when opening and closing it and I wanted to see what was going on with the pivot. I wish I would have taken a picture for you guys, but a LOT is going on with the design and manufacture of this pivot. The blade has a milled channel in which a floating pin rides. This pin is held in place by the nested liner. The washers are extremely small compared to the Paramilitary 2 to make room for this channel. In the end, to free up the opening/closing action I had to leave the pivot screws a 1/8th of a turn from fully tightened and there was the barest wiggle of blade play.

Comparing the Spydiechef to that of the Kapara, I think the Spydiechef is superior for kitchen/food prep use. The Spydiechef's design is simple and lacks the nooks and crannies of the Kapara in which food may become lodged. Also, when looking at the blade and handle ergonomics, the Spydiechef is easier to use with a full grip all the way down to the cutting surface.

These are both phenomenal knives in their own right, and you can't go wrong owning either (or preferably both), I think the difference in which is bigger where comes down to the intended use their designer's had in mind when developing them. I equate it to the former motorcycle I owned, a Kawasaki Versys. Technically, this motorcycle was a "dual-sport," but it was designed for 90% street use and 10% off-road riding. So, while it could do both, it was much more refined on the street. On the one hand, the Spydiechef design is 80% kitchen and 20% EDC (entirely fictional numbers), and on the other, the Kapara is 80% EDC and 20% kitchen.

For myself, the blade steel isn't even significant in this discussion, because many chefs don't use stainless knives, preferring high carbon varieties. Heck, I've had many professional chef friends, and they can't even tell you what steel their knives are made of, only us knife nuts agonize over such things.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I have both.
I prefer the Spydiechef in the kitchen. For me, the geometry works better at food tasks. Also, if things get a little damp, I find it easier to maintain a reassuring grip due to its width.

I prefer the Kapara for EDC. It’s chased lots of other knives from my rotation.

Both are amazing and I feel fortunate to have them. Well done Mr. Glesser, Mr. Slysz, and Mr. Phillips!
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I was wunderin' how did the Spyder makers mark on the blade come out on these?
I have 3 Taichung made Spydercos... bought years apart,
and the Spyder is always a little messed up (miscued / uneven) the way they engrave it on the blade over there.

I thought it was because of the stonewash on the Techno but I got the same thing on the satin Chaparral blade.
I just recieved a new Native from Golden and the Spyder is perfect... looks like they use a different technique.
Curious the Taichung knives are welled made...just always have this little flaw.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you say that, because I noticed this same thing on my Sage 5 and Chaparral.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Aside from corrosion resistance and sharpenability, does LC200N even hold a candle to s30v in performance? Really?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

RobDigi wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am
I was wunderin' how did the Spyder makers mark on the blade come out on these?
I have 3 Taichung made Spydercos... bought years apart,
and the Spyder is always a little messed up (miscued / uneven) the way they engrave it on the blade over there.

I thought it was because of the stonewash on the Techno but I got the same thing on the satin Chaparral blade.
I just recieved a new Native from Golden and the Spyder is perfect... looks like they use a different technique.
Curious the Taichung knives are welled made...just always have this little flaw.
Strange... the engraved Spydie always looked a little cleaner to me, but I don't have anything more recent from Taichung than the original Sage3.
The Taiwan plant uses some kind of CNC engraver, you can see the toolpath if you look close or use a magnifier/camera. I believe Golden uses a laser engraver. The Laser is a consistent, flat finish (no path) but the edges always look a little blurry to me if I look close. (E.g. there's some speckling inside the border, don't know enough about laser engraving to speculate why.)
We've seen some engraving quality mistakes on Spydercos before (the Hap40 sprints, I think?) but I've never heard of a wonky engraving from Taichung until now.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Never had a Chef but want to try one. Had the Kapara but ended up moving on. Just did not work for me. As for the Chef my ONLY concern is lock stick. Cannot stand it. Number one knife peeve. Curious if I take a chance at one and it happens to have lock stick what can one realistically hope to get out of one on exchange these days? I don’t mind losing 10% to try a knife. Kind of comes with the territory since can’t hand pick one, but not interested in trying if end up losing 30%.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Why this need to badmouth the one you *don't* prefer?
I am sure they're both excellent choices. Personally i'd choose the Kapara, based on looks and ergonomy. I don't mind yesterday's steel since i don't cut anything i didn't also cut yesterday with no effort ;)
Merry Christmas all!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Lock stick? Do you mean permenantly stuck open? or where the lock is not easy to disengage? Or are you talking about too late of a lock up where the RIL goes too deep like in cheap knives?

I own a Spydiechef 2 of them in fact and have used it heavily. The RIL is solid no issues and does lock very well with very good tension.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am
I am sure they're both excellent choices. Personally i'd choose the Kapara, based on looks and ergonomy. I don't mind yesterday's steel since i don't cut anything i didn't also cut yesterday with no effort ;)
Merry Christmas all!
Merry Christmas,

I did not take it as badmouthing I took it as he just does not want to keep taking chances on something he may not like being unable to put hand on merchandise before purchasing and loose money on yet another knife is the way I read it. Think we have all been there and done that once or twice ;)

You reply however is very defensive of your own preferences.

I don’t mind yesterdays steel either in fact discovering VG10 recently has been a joy! and a real surprise!

The slavish adherence to S30V in new exciting designs however is disappointing. In my opinion based on ownership of knives in S30V it has always been overrated.

In my opinion S30V is a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none it is so balanced on paper it falls short in actual real world use.

S30V In my experience will chip, will bypass orange rusting and go straight to pitting, will hold a dull edge for a long period of time and a truly sharp edge for a short period of time, regardless of equipment requires more effort to get very sharp yet will not stay that way for long and is just not worth the money.

S35VN while it appears very close on paper is different. It tends to be easier to sharpen and is not as prone to chipping, I have never had it pit or rust no matter how long it was left wet but edge retention is not much different than S30V maybe just a little better. It is another steel that will hold a dull edge for a long time but a truly sharp edge for a short period of time.

LC200N is a better steel had this knife been produced In LC200N, M390, CTS204P, Elmax, VG-10, CTS-XHP, S90V then I would have purchased it even for more money. Love the design. Hopefully it gets a Variant in one of these steels later on.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:00 am
Lock stick? Do you mean permenantly stuck open? or where the lock is not easy to disengage? Or are you talking about too late of a lock up where the RIL goes too deep like in cheap knives?

I own a Spydiechef 2 of them in fact and have used it heavily. The RIL is solid no issues and does lock very well with very good tension.
I am referring to it catching and have to be broken free instead of just slide out. No fear about the lock being solid at all. I had a K2 for instance that stuck so bad had to use wood stick to break bar free from tang. My Slysz Bowie has zero stick. If could get one like that would buy today.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Flipping Addict wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:11 am
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:00 am

I am referring to it catching and have to be broken free instead of just slide out. No fear about the lock being solid at all. I had a K2 for instance that stuck so bad had to use wood stick to break bar free from tang. My Slysz Bowie has zero stick. If could get one like that would buy today.
Well you might want to pass on the chef then it does not need to be broken free with force but due to its design I guess it can be considered sticky.

Spyderco did not use a steel interface on the RIL it is just Titanium in contact with LC200N blade. I am guessing to prevent corrosion reaction with different steels and LC200N.

The design is not as easy to slide out as it is with a RIL TI CF military model of knife. You have to dig your thumb in a bit to get it to move and there is an audible click when disengaging the lock bar requiring a bit of force. I think this is what you do not want or like. Hope this helps.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:58 am
Merry Christmas all!
Merry Christmas,

I did not take it as badmouthing I took it as he just does not want to keep taking chances on something he may not like being unable to put hand on merchandise before purchasing and loose money on yet another knife is the way I read it. Think we have all been there and done that once or twice ;)

You reply however is very defensive of your own preferences.

I don’t mind yesterdays steel either in fact discovering VG10 recently has been a joy! and a real surprise!

The slavish adherence to S30V in new exciting designs however is disappointing. In my opinion based on ownership of knives in S30V it has always been overrated.

In my opinion S30V is a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none it is so balanced on paper it falls short in actual real world use.

S30V In my experience will chip, will bypass orange rusting and go straight to pitting, will hold a dull edge for a long period of time and a truly sharp edge for a short period of time, regardless of equipment requires more effort to get very sharp yet will not stay that way for long and is just not worth the money.

S35VN while it appears very close on paper is different. It tends to be easier to sharpen and is not as prone to chipping, I have never had it pit or rust no matter how long it was left wet but edge retention is not much different than S30V maybe just a little better. It is another steel that will hold a dull edge for a long time but a truly sharp edge for a short period of time.

LC200N is a better steel had this knife been produced In LC200N, M390, CTS204P, Elmax, VG-10, CTS-XHP, S90V then I would have purchased it even for more money. Love the design. Hopefully it gets a Variant in one of these steels later on.
Well my post/reply wasn't directed at any one individual, but generally speaking. I can't say i have never done the same, perhaps to emphasise my thoughts on model X vs model Y It was merely an observation/reaction no offense to anyone.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I own a SpydieChef and have been thinking of getting a Kapara, so this discussion intrigues me. I'd love to hear from even more owners of both. The SpydieChef is my favorite knife for <$250, and in my personal collection that puts it before 13 other knives, including 4 Spydercos. It's great to think there may be another Spyderco at the same level of practical excellence as the SpydieChef. I do love the edge the SpydieChef takes and its supreme slicing action.

But then there are several other new/upcoming Spyderco models I find interesting (Smock, Ikuchi, Drunken, and Paysan), and I can't buy them all. Maybe the Kapara will be the first.
Jim
npad69

Post by npad69 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I don't think the Spydiechef is overpriced. Build construction is great and it builds character quick.
I want a 4.5" Spydiechef.
This and less belly to facilitate better chopping not rocking (as santokus are meant to be used)
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

silvershade255 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:50 pm
Both designs draw inspiration from food prep, combined with edc characteristics. From a design standpoint (so ignoring material differences), which would you prefer for that kind of use?
Being we are talking food prep, the choice of material is part of the design, Lc200N is perfect for EDC-food prep. Considering food safety while on the go is important, clean-up is important, the Lc200N can be rinsed with water and shaken dry, no need for finding a drying cloth that may or may not be contaminated.
Last edited by Forest Green on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.