Selling your once grail knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Selling your once grail knife

Post by ugaarguy »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:58 am
I bought my first Spyderco in 1988. I had no idea that I was giving up my constitutional rights of freedom of speech to a company like Chris Reeve when I was still in high school. But I guess this is all about the money.
You're not giving up your free speech. The 1st Amendment says that the US government can't regulate your speech. Sal isn't required to host your free speech on his dime on his forum. He's asked that we not bash other knife companies. We're in his house, so we should respect his rules. I can be a contrarian jerk at times myself, so I understand your frustration. I'm sure there are other places on the internet where you can complain about other knife companies. This just isn't the place. Sal and crew have been extremely tolerant of my (and others) wanting features from other makers to be incorporated by Spyderco. There's even the "What 'Other' is in your pocket" thread that's been hosted for three years in the off topic section here. This is a very friendly and welcoming place if you stay within Sal's very basic standards of civility.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

5-by-5 wrote:
I bought my first Spyderco in 1988. I had no idea that I was giving up my constitutional rights of freedom of speech to a company like Chris Reeve when I was still in high school. But I guess this is all about the money.
Need I remind you where the door is? We don't need your toxicity here, this is a friendly place.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I never sell my treasures,but i gifted my Karh Arms Delica to a good friend.I can't help to regret it,and now the prices are sky high on the secondary market.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:28 am
I never sell my treasures,but i gifted my Karh Arms Delica to a good friend.I can't help to regret it,and now the prices are sky high on the secondary market.
This might help

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/kahr- ... ekhaki.asp
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:57 pm
Yup.

Former "grails" I ended up parting with (Only after using them mind you, never catch and release)

1. Tip up wire clip Para 1. Sanded the pinky hook so I could manage a 4 finger grip behind the choil. Too small. Went back to the Millie.

2. Tip up BG42/CF Military. Didn't like how BG42 sharpened, switched to the CPMD2 Millie.

3. Lil Temp. Awesome handle, too small of a knife though. Went back to the Millie.

4. C95 Manix. Decided I liked the more narrow blade profile and lighter weight of my new Police 3 better.

5. Hossom Forester. Thought it'd be the best chopper. Compared it to a RAT9 and Scrapyard Dogfather. Preferred the Dogfather, still own it, sold the other two a decade ago.

6. Para 2 DLC. Better ergos than the 1, longer blade, factory tip up, and very corrosion resistant. Went back to the Police / Millie after having lock issues and deciding it was kind of small.

7. CTS204P Millie. This looked like the ultimate Millie from the currently available options when I bought it. Went back to the Police. After years of being indecisive about whether I prefer the Police or Millie, the Police won out.
The Police was my 1st. It is still one of the greatest designs. I suppose it's okay if some carry tip-up.

Love it!

PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I haven't been able to sell any knife, let alone one I thought I'd like above all others! As soon as I think about freeing up space in my lil tackle box, I immediately think about the niche that each knife fills and rationalization once again beats acting rationally. The minor inconvenience I'd experience having to carry a slightly less suitable knife for the day (including just having the wrong color) is enough to put any thought of liquidation out of my head. That being said, I also seem to have all my bases covered now and the only way Sal's been able to tempt me this year is with handle variations. I think I've just about reached equilibrium, and since I can't sell any, I'm not really buying any. Heck, I even returned one that I thought I really wanted but wound up not even wanting to carry it. That's about as close as I've come to selling a grail.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 am
I don't think that is used in any production Spydercos at this point, and a guy really should have a knife with 154.
Fixed blades. Darn dao and upcoming Respect.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:50 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:06 am
I don't think that is used in any production Spydercos at this point, and a guy really should have a knife with 154.
Fixed blades. Darn dao and upcoming Respect.
Darn Dao is a flash batch so it technically isn't regular production. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 am
5-by-5 wrote:
You're not giving up your free speech. The 1st Amendment says that the US government can't regulate your speech. Sal isn't required to host your free speech on his dime on his forum.

Right. I see this more and more these days from the young generations. Freedom of speech has never applied to private places/platforms, and for good reason. It exists for public places.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

My Microtech Ultratech was one of my favorite knives I ever bought, and I bought it to celebrate the legalization of auto knives in Michigan. Just sold it today in order to buy the new Embassy!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know about grail knives. I have some ideas in my head but so far no knife has checked everything off but some have come close. It makes it hard when your tastes are evolving over a ~10 year span and everything you thought you were so sure you liked gets turned upside down. I also don't sell much as each one gets used before I figure out there's something better for me and I hate taking a loss on a sale, I'll just hand them down to my son someday.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

No Grail too. If the steel doesn’t shave my face despite multiple sharpening attempts, it goes.

M2 S110V, and BM-HK D2.
VG10 was almost chopped but. Stretch saved it. The first E4 SG probably was a lemon.
Chris :spyder:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

My tastes have changed and I've sold knives that I once prized. I've never pursued or believed in a grail knife. I like owning a variety of knives.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

gull wing wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:59 am
:D Don't sell it, mod it. This is perfect (for me) 3" blade, a slicing machine.

That's excellent.
I modify mine as I see fit also.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Don't know if I have a Grail, but this may be close. I've given most to relatives.

Still have this one.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
PStone

Post by PStone »

gull wing wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 am
Don't know if I have a Grail, but this may be close. I've given most to relatives.

Still have this one.
What models are those? Customs?
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:29 am
spyderwolf wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:28 am
This might help

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/kahr- ... ekhaki.asp
I appreciate the intention,sadly they dont ship to my country :(
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At this present time my C-60 Ayoob models have kind of become a type of "Holy Grail" knife for me because I seriously fear that we may never see another Sprint Run of this most excellent Spyderco model>> and I do hope I'm wrong about that because that model along with the JD Smith along with the Bob Lum models should never become extinct IMO.

If many of the newer Spyderville citizens ever got a taste of how efficient and ergonomic that C-60 Ayoob model is most of them would demand it be a permanent model in the main line up. The Ayoob along with those other models I mentioned are truly timeless and I do consider them as "Grail" models in many respects.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Benchmade 730CFHS. Found it didn’t feel as good as it looked. Sold it. I tend to find a knife that’s “right” and use it for many years. Previous favorite was a Benchmade 525. Current is the Spyderco para 3 in M4.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 pm
My tastes have changed and I've sold knives that I once prized. I've never pursued or believed in a grail knife. I like owning a variety of knives.
I feel the same! There are so many nice high quality knives ( not including customs) that are always in circulation! IMHO....todays "grail" is tomorrows user .....because another highend piece is right around the corner!

James