I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Post by anycal »

It would be interesting to see what Spyderco can come up with. Also, having more options is not a bad thing.

In terms of discretion - there is absolutely a place for it. Why draw an attention to yourself in unfamiliar situations? No different than putting valuables in the trunk of your car, or not putting trivial stickers all over your car. Why give opportunists an advantage; why give someone a reason to stereotype you? Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place to be 'loud'. But keeping a low profile has its benefits.

Peter
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Deep carry clips are fine, but they only slightly lessen the visibility of your knife. The clip itself still shows. Loose carry in pocket, or IWB carry are both much more discreet.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wonder if there's a way Spyderco and say Lynch or MXG could team up and offer Spyderco's from the factory with the option of a standard clip, or one of the deep carry options of your choice, but raise the price by whatever the two companies agreed on (say $15) ?

I have no idea how businesses operate, but in my simple mind that kind of option seems like it would work for everyone. Maybe there are people who won't buy a Para 3 solely because of the factory clip position. But, if given the option of having it come installed from the factory with the deep carry clip of your choice for $15 instead of $25-$35 or so directly from Lynch or MXG, then maybe that knife would sell. Spyderco would make money on selling the knife, the clip manufacturer would also make money and you would also have a happy customer could come back for more purchases.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 am
Deep carry clips are fine, but they only slightly lessen the visibility of your knife. The clip itself still shows. Loose carry in pocket, or IWB carry are both much more discreet.
Absolutely. This obvious fact doesn't seem to be common knowledge :confused:

It's just an issue of me not understanding the hype, which is a byproduct of me having never been in a setting where having a knife in one's pocket is an issue.
Daveho wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm
I would buy sooo many fake spydercos if they came with a decent deep carry clip
Say it ain't so! Lol. I hope if anyone buys a fake knife they do so on the secondary market (and for specific reasons) so that they don't directly support the fake knife industry.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I'm down with using an aftermarket clip to get deep carry performance. I think it's kind of fun that we have so many options.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

This picture illustrates my issue with the Spyderco clip, and it has nothing to do with lessening the knife's visibility. The Spyderco hourglass clip shreds my pockets because of how it pinches the fabric of my pants. In the picture, you can see how the clip is putting stress on the pocket's hem. Every aftermarket clip I own (including the one pictured and the ones I have that are not low-profile), reduces this pressure on the fabric and I no longer have damaged pockets on any of my pants.

It is this negative aspect of the clip that I would like to see addressed via CQI efforts. If they can throw in low-profile as well, all the better.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 pm

This picture illustrates my issue with the Spyderco clip, and it has nothing to do with lessening the knife's visibility. The Spyderco hourglass clip shreds my pockets because of how it pinches the fabric of my pants. In the picture, you can see how the clip is putting stress on the pocket's hem. Every aftermarket clip I own (including the one pictured and the ones I have that are not low-profile), reduces this pressure on the fabric and I no longer have damaged pockets on any of my pants.

It is this negative aspect of the clip that I would like to see addressed via CQI efforts. If they can throw in low-profile as well, all the better.
Interesting, my Spyderco's don't do that at all. Unless I press them down hard into my pocket I guess.

But then again, I don't wear designer jeans. I'm constantly at work, so the clip to a pocket knife will be the last thing to wear out a pair of my pants.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s true that the spoon clip shreds pants-
I used to be in vertex TDU pants daily and over about 6m I had lost about 2” of Pocket thanks to my ambitious.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57 am
Bill1170 wrote:

It's just an issue of me not understanding the hype, which is a byproduct of me having never been in a setting where having a knife in one's pocket is an issue.
You're assuming that people want deep carry clips for concealment. I like deep carry clips because I find that most knives carry much more comfortably when they're as deep as possible in my pocket. The knife sitting deeper in the pocket flush with the top of the pocket also makes it more comfortable to reach into the same pocket for things like my keys.

On the concealment / discreet carry side, unmarked deep carry clips can help there as well. Spyderco's wire clip doesn't look like a knife clip to most people, and the deep carry version keeps the knife far enough in the pocket that they don't see an obvious piece of knife handle sticking out. Other unmarked clips do the same. As things like flashlights for EDC become more common the ambiguity of an unmarked, generic looking, deep carry clips helps to lessen the assumption that every pocket clip equals a knife.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Interesting, my Spyderco's don't do that at all. Unless I press them down hard into my pocket I guess.

But then again, I don't wear designer jeans. I'm constantly at work, so the clip to a pocket knife will be the last thing to wear out a pair of my pants.

Hmmm... also interesting is that your pocket is starting to fray just as I described... ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I dunno, most of my knives have deep carry clips and my jeans are also fraying a bit as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Hmmm... also interesting is that your pocket is starting to fray just as I described... ;)
I didn't even think of that. These jeans have never seen knife carry until last week. They belonged to a relative that never carried knives.
ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:58 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57 am
Bill1170 wrote:

You're assuming that people want deep carry clips for concealment. I like deep carry clips because I find that most knives carry much more comfortably when they're as deep as possible in my pocket. The knife sitting deeper in the pocket flush with the top of the pocket also makes it more comfortable to reach into the same pocket for things like my keys.

On the concealment / discreet carry side, unmarked deep carry clips can help there as well. Spyderco's wire clip doesn't look like a knife clip to most people, and the deep carry version keeps the knife far enough in the pocket that they don't see an obvious piece of knife handle sticking out. Other unmarked clips do the same. As things like flashlights for EDC become more common the ambiguity of an unmarked, generic looking, deep carry clips helps to lessen the assumption that every pocket clip equals a knife.
I quoted a post that spoke of the concealment issue....
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I wonder if the dodgy folk on aliexpress and the like will make me some.. I mean their income depends on spyderco designs too right
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've also noticed that different types of Spyderco pocket clips seem to work better than others. There was one pocket clip that I found worked better than any other I ever used. The pocket clip on the older/discontinued GUNTING model was by far the best pocket clip I ever seen Spyderco use. That GUNTING clip had a deep divot type dent in it that really gripped your pocket better than any other clip I used.

Also the wire clip that they used on the Dodo model I had decent luck with as well. Had they made that Dodo wire clip a little deeper it might have been a perfect clip. With all the guys I've talked to that have had some minor problems with certain types of Spyderco pocket clips you would think that they would have come up with the perfect clip by now.

But I do wish they would take a second look at that GUNTING pocket clip because it was a particularly good one. It was really nice looking too.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Lol, that gunting was really the opposite of deep carry, cool looking knife and clip though.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:12 am
Lol, that gunting was really the opposite of deep carry, cool looking knife and clip though.
The GUNTING model clip wasn't deep per se as much as it had a really good hold on it. At times I even had a bit of trouble getting it out of my pocket. The clip on the GUNTING model just seemed to hold on much better than any other clip they've used up till now. That model was so much more different than any other knife Spyderco ever made. It's a shame that it's now become a relic of sorts because there were a lot of design aspects about the GUNTING model that were exceptional.

The pocket clip on it was rather wide in comparison to many of their other pocket clips but again it held on to your pocket like no other clip I can remember. Actually I would like to put one on one of my Military models if I could find one second hand somewhere.
Tims

Post by Tims »

To all those saying they don’t understand the need for deep carry clips. Try and picture living in a country with strict knife carry laws. Clip a bright orange native 5 in your front pocket and go about your day. You feel like you’re walking around with a neon KNIFE sign on your forhead. Especially as you walk out of a store and an officer is seated in his patrol car watching people come and go and he looks at you.

No, loose pocket carry is not the answer. If it was, we wouldn’t have pocket clips?

No, IWB carry is not the answer. In my experience, very few knives are day-long comfortable or even safe for IWB (lock type)

The obvious answer is a magical invention that enables you to INCONSPICUOUSLY SECURE a knife to your POCKET. Ideally one that doesn’t cost almost as much as the knife itself and has the knife manufacturers logo on it.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

We have strict kniwlaws here in Norway if not the "strictest". I cant carry anything with an edge legaly. At work i can argue that i need the knife, but of work i cant legaly carry anything, i still don't understand the need for deep carry, if a clip is visible it doesnt matter how deep the carry is, it's Just as illegal to Carry and Just as easy to spot..
I always carry a knife but when i go places i expect a lot of People i unclip it and carry it in the pocket, if i get caught i get a fine and loose my knife..
It doesnt help if i have a deep carry clip.
😉💃
James Dean
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:25 am
We have strict kniwlaws here in Norway if not the "strictest". I cant carry anything with an edge legaly. At work i can argue that i need the knife, but of work i cant legaly carry anything, i still don't understand the need for deep carry, if a clip is visible it doesnt matter how deep the carry is, it's Just as illegal to Carry and Just as easy to spot..
I always carry a knife but when i go places i expect a lot of People i unclip it and carry it in the pocket, if i get caught i get a fine and loose my knife..
It doesnt help if i have a deep carry clip.
😉💃
I couldn't live in such a place. :eek: If I lived there I would start a public safety campaign highlighting all of the paper cuts that happen from opening mail, and then offer up a high-end folding cutting tool, say a Syderco Kapara, as the solution to this public menace!

How do construction workers and others who need edge tools travel to and from their workplaces?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Usually by car,
😂
Construction workers can carry knifes to and from work,, i do.. But you would have problems explaining the need for a knife if you work in an Office.
If i'm on my way to or from the Woods i can carry wathever i want in my belt, machetes, axes and knives. But dressed in "normal" clothes you cant even carry a small victorinox.
James Dean