I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Post by Daveho »

But I get by..

Tims

Re: I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Post by Tims »

Me too mate, me too.
attila

Post by attila »

I am also guilty since the day that I got my Rhino

It's a perfect fit and requires no modification.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Mee too
GrayJay

Post by GrayJay »

Same. On larger “tool” knives I don’t mind as much, because the bit of handle sticking out of the pocket gives better purchase for drawing the knife. But on small blades, which I’m more likely to EDC, I don’t need the draw speed or the attention.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like them on some models, less so on others. I was sure I'd swap out the wire clip on my Autonomy for a deeper carry version but that inch of butt sticking out helps to draw it at work with gloves on. I love it on my Sliverax/Dragonfly/Kiwi 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Yes on the 4" and less, but larger handles standard clips are fine.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:30 am
But I get by..
Agreed. I've ruled out alot of knifes because of it but, sometimes win.
Attachments
400389C8-638A-4898-88DD-BEFB745C67DA.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like the Endura 3 barrel clips the best, standard hourglass second, deep carry the least. Different strokes I guess.

It'd be nice to see a Spyderco factory option you could order for a nominal fee for those that want them.
:unicorn
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Personally I don't understand This need to bury the knife deeper in your pocket. I have a few knives with deep carry and they are Just harder to get out of the pocket.
If it's for consealment purposes the best is no clip at all as it's pretty obvious that there is something like a knife connected to that clip hanging out of the pocket.
But it's always Good to have options as People don't have the same preferences.
I have stronger feelings about lanyard holes as i dont use them and i got a gaping hole trough the handle of my knives.
:)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:00 pm

If it's for consealment purposes the best is no clip at all as it's pretty obvious that there is something like a knife connected to that clip hanging out of the pocket.
True, but I don't feel comfortable with a folding knife floating around in my pocket at work, with a slim deep carry clip my Domino just looks like a pen clipped to my pocket. Nobody has ever said anything either, which is a plus in this day and age where people feel threatened or offended by just about everything.
sal

Post by sal »

There are a number of aftermarket clip makes that have created a business out of making clips. We feel that it would not be fair for us to try to take that business away from them. We created and make the deep pocket wire and for now, that's ok.

sal
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I can understand that and while it’s a noble sentiment in most places outside of the US it’s cost prohibitive to buy one of these clips- by the time you post the thing it’s $50, I’m crazy but not that crazy
Mike51772

Post by Mike51772 »

I prefer deep carry clips but it’s not a big deal to me personally. To each his/her own!

What I’d really like to see Spyderco Do is offer some handle material and steel custom options on a few models.......similar to what Benchmade does. It would be cool to be able to customize a PM2 with say Camo G10 and M390. Or Carbon Fiber and CTS-204P. I’m sure such an option available to consumers would do well!
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Spyderco should hire Casey Lynch and put him in charge of clips. :) win win
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I prefer regular ol spyderco clips.

Sal, that is very admirable of you.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I’d be happy if Spyderco just used Lynch clips on some models. Even if it’s just an option that adds $20. I just hate buying a knife, and then waiting a few days for a clip to show up!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I like deep carry clips on all my folders. It is to avoid being so conspicuous, not for concealment per se. That is also why I like muted colors, not polished silver. My favorite are the black deep carry wire clips - less conspicuous both in how far the butt does NOT protrude from the pocket and how much surface area of clip hangs down the outside. I've never had a problem grabbing the end to retrieve the knife from my pocket. Carrying loose is the worst arrangement - have to fish around, it ends up at weird angles and sometimes prints really bad anyway. As others note - different strokes...
I like several of the after-market deep carry clips, but the best is the spyderco wire clip!
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 am
There are a number of aftermarket clip makes that have created a business out of making clips. We feel that it would not be fair for us to try to take that business away from them. We created and make the deep pocket wire and for now, that's ok.

sal
I would understand, but at the prices they charge, now the unfairness shifts from those businesses, to the loyal Spyderco customer. It's not outrageous for the Spyderco enthusiast to have upwards of 10-20 blades that they may want deeper clips for. At $25 a piece, that's $250-$500. People want the deep clip offering straight from Spyderco because it will be much more cost effective that way. And when people can carry a knife the way they want, at a cost they can justify, they are more likely to buy more of them. Ergo, more knife sales. It will also attract more people to being first time Spyderco buyers, people who look exclusively for those deep carry options. All this equals more people carrying Spyderco products all the more often. Using them more often, gifting them more often, showing them off more often, taking about them and bragging about them more often, which will wear them out more often, and mean needing to be replaced more often!

I work at a job where every single person has a knife or two on them and their gear. 82 people, and not one carries a Spyderco (other than me). Many of them are carrying knives with deep clips, and they admit that it was the deep clip that got them to buy it in the first place. Things like kershaw, SOG etc. All nice knives, but I think on the whole, Spyderco is a much nicer knife IMHO! I think this could be changed, just by offering a reasonable deep carry option.

If we could get deep carry clips for around $10-$12 out the door, this would be a beautiful "option" to the Spyderco fan boys and girls. I don't suggest changing frn molds and g10 to accommodate different style clip designs. But creating an option that fits with what's there, and offering it at a "reasonable" price.

Spyderco are the Kings of providing offerings and different options for afi's, this is another way of doing that.

No disrespect meant at all, I love this brand.

Dave D
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I don't know what to say about people who value the clip more than the knife itself. Buying a Kershaw or a SOG over a spyderco, because of the pocket clip? Lol. They don't have jobs that require a high performance knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?