I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: I wish spyderco offered deep carry clips

Post by Sharp Guy »

I know some of you are new here but it seems like this topic comes up every few weeks. Sal has stated before that they're not really interested in making deep carry clips.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 pm
I know some of you are new here but it seems like this topic comes up every few weeks. Sal has stated before that they're not really interested in making deep carry clips.
I was around when Sal was considering making one, and I remember when they decided against it. However, things can change with time, and if enough people speak up maybe they’d reconsider. Just because the company made a decision doesn’t mean we should all keep quiet about our opinions.

However, I am extremely happy with my Lynch clips, and wouldn’t want to hurt Casey’s business. I can see both sides of the discussion. That’s why Spyderco should just put the Lynch clips on factory models!
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I'd like to see Spyderco offer a basic stamped steel deep carry clip as an option.

I don't mind spending the money for a MXG titanium clip for a higher priced knife (such as a PM2) but it's hard to justify spending another $23 to get a deep carry clip on a $75 Delica.

It's unlikely MXG or Lynch (or any other third party) is going to make a cheaper steel clip, so it would probably have to come from the factory.

I'd also like to see the deep carry clip from the JaniSong get used on more models. I don't think the JaniSong clip two-hole mounting pattern would work on the existing knives that use the three-hole mounting pattern, but maybe some future models that are in the production pipeline could use the JaniSong clip.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm
I don't know what to say about people who value the clip more than the knife itself. Buying a Kershaw or a SOG over a spyderco, because of the pocket clip? Lol. They don't have jobs that require a high performance knife.
It may be that, but I find it is usually people do not know how to judge the performance of a knife. They buy what they see at the store, they buy what their friends and co-workers buy, and they often have no idea how much better a true high performance blade can be. And let's not forget, some folks think we are insane for spending so much for a knife... Maybe they are right!

p.s. now we are drifting ;)
hmr170

Post by hmr170 »

I have to admit that $25 for a small piece of metal with a bend in it seems quite excessive. You can buy a titanium spork from Amazon for $8 that has a lot more material. It's too bad they couldn't come to some sort of licensing agreement. Spyderco could make stainless ones for 30 cents a piece, give the designer a $2 license fee and then sell them to us for $10. Everyone makes money and everyone is happy.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm
I don't know what to say about people who value the clip more than the knife itself. Buying a Kershaw or a SOG over a spyderco, because of the pocket clip? Lol. They don't have jobs that require a high performance knife.
Ergonomics of a knife are almost as important as the knife's ability to cut to me. If it's not comfortable to use, something more comfortable will be used. Pocketclips play a part in that. I have a ZT knife that I like everything about EXCEPT the pocketclip. It rides to high in my pocket, and it's positioning is just off enough to rub my right ring finger wrong. Aftermarket options for this particular ZT are almost non-existent. As such it has pretty much sat unused on my bookshelf since I got it.
araneae

Post by araneae »

How about using a Lynch pattern and paying a royalty? Make them in steel with a Spydie stamp and sell them cheaper. Lots of the afi market will still buy customs in Ti from the designer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I agree that if a clip kills the ergonomics of the knife that is certainly an issue. I was talking about buying a cheap knife over a spyderco simply because of a deep carry clip. It seems like anyone who does that either doesn't understand the quality difference in the 2 knives or doesn't actually need a high performance knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

hmr170 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 pm
I have to admit that $25 for a small piece of metal with a bend in it seems quite excessive. You can buy a titanium spork from Amazon for $8 that has a lot more material. It's too bad they couldn't come to some sort of licensing agreement. Spyderco could make stainless ones for 30 cents a piece, give the designer a $2 license fee and then sell them to us for $10. Everyone makes money and everyone is happy.
Apples to oranges comparing a spork stamped out by the 1000s that anyone can use to a milled clip made individually or in small batches that only fits certain brands/models.
Mike51772

Post by Mike51772 »

It seems there would be enough interest for a an alternate deep carry clip made by Spyderco, say in stainless steel, and sold for under $10 to make it worth it for Spyderco to do. Also, I bet there still would be as much, or nearly as much, interest in the $23+ titanium clips offered by aftermarket makers.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Mike51772 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:22 am
It seems there would be enough interest for a an alternate deep carry clip made by Spyderco, say in stainless steel, and sold for under $10 to make it worth it for Spyderco to do. Also, I bet there still would be as much, or nearly as much, interest in the $23+ titanium clips offered by aftermarket makers.
I very much doubt it would be worth it.

Sal's already said people have businesses based around this so isn't this discussion pointless
because Spyderco isn't going to do it ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 am
Mike51772 wrote:

Sal's already said people have businesses based around this so isn't this discussion pointless
You don’t have to participate- I’ve been here long enough to know that spyderco have said they aren’t really interested in perusing it but it would be great if they would consider it as there clearly a lot of folk wanting it... that said the Benchmade clip on the delica is more ergonomic so what ever.
At the end of the day you need to remember that not everyone is in ‘Murca so yes it’s a $23 clip for you but for the rest of us it’s like $50-$55 including postage-
I would buy sooo many fake spydercos if they came with a decent deep carry clip
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 am
There are a number of aftermarket clip makes that have created a business out of making clips. We feel that it would not be fair for us to try to take that business away from them. We created and make the deep pocket wire and for now, that's ok.

sal

Thank you for the response, Sal. I respect you and what you have done for the knife industry immensely, but I posit that if Spyderco changed its clip design or offered an alternative, it would not take business away from these clip makers. History shows us that competition is good for the consumer and it leads to innovation. Plus, having watched the knife market over the last 15-20 years, I've seen that knife buyers want to customize their knives and make them their own. Spyderco could roll out three new clip designs, and guys and gals are still going to buy the innovative products found from the custom clip manufacturers.

The only weakness I see in Spyderco is that you guys are continually innovating with new steels, new handle materials, new designs, new features, but you're still slapping a clip from the '80s onto the knife you just spent all of that time and energy advancing.

Very, very, respectful I say...time to CQI the clip; it may be a great design, but it's like us old guys, it's getting long in the tooth.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 am
Mike51772 wrote:

You don’t have to participate- I’ve been here long enough to know that spyderco have said they aren’t really interested in perusing it but it would be great if they would consider it as there clearly a lot of folk wanting it... that said the Benchmade clip on the delica is more ergonomic so what ever.
At the end of the day you need to remember that not everyone is in ‘Murca so yes it’s a $23 clip for you but for the rest of us it’s like $50-$55 including postage-
I would buy sooo many fake spydercos if they came with a decent deep carry clip

I'm not in ‘Murca so it's the same for me.

With all the screaming about wanting this knife in this steel, I just feel that Spyderco should concentrate on doing what it does best, making knives and get more of them out.

Clips are a peripheral, well done by others.

What could work is if Spydie helped some of the clip makers to distribute the products.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

BigGrove wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 am
hmr170 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 pm
Apples to oranges comparing a spork stamped out by the 1000s that anyone can use to a milled clip made individually or in small batches that only fits certain brands/models.
Most of the Lynch and MXG clips aren't milled. They're stamped or cut from sheets of Ti, and they're still $23-$30. The milled MXG clips, like the milled RGT clips are $44+. It's still a fair comparison that I read as hmr170 wishing for something mass produced.
Zatx wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 am
There are a number of aftermarket clip makes that have created a business out of making clips. We feel that it would not be fair for us to try to take that business away from them. We created and make the deep pocket wire and for now, that's ok.

sal

Thank you for the response, Sal. I respect you and what you have done for the knife industry immensely, but I posit that if Spyderco changed its clip design or offered an alternative, it would not take business away from these clip makers. History shows us that competition is good for the consumer and it leads to innovation. Plus, having watched the knife market over the last 15-20 years, I've seen that knife buyers want to customize their knives and make them their own. Spyderco could roll out three new clip designs, and guys and gals are still going to buy the innovative products found from the custom clip manufacturers.

The only weakness I see in Spyderco is that you guys are continually innovating with new steels, new handle materials, new designs, new features, but you're still slapping a clip from the '80s onto the knife you just spent all of that time and energy advancing.

Very, very, respectful I say...time to CQI the clip; it may be a great design, but it's like us old guys, it's getting long in the tooth.
Sal, I have to respectfully disagree with you, and agree with Zatx. The one-off ultra deep carry clip was one of several reasons that I bought a ZT 0562CF over the Spyderco Domino. I own a Domino now, but the use of the parts bin generic clip feels like a bit of a corner cut. MXG gear and Casey Lynch are still selling Ti clips for Benchmade, ZT / Kershaw, and others that offer factory deep carry options. MXG gear lists 27 different clips that are compatible with the Domino - which I think has the same hole pattern as most other Spyderco folders. The ZT 0801 / 0801Ti comes with one of KAI's parts bin steel deep carry clips, but MXG gear still offers 15 different Ti clips for that knife's hole pattern.

I don't think that offering a single steel deep carry clip for each of your hole patterns is going to hurt their sales much. The afi's who want Ti clips to go with their Ti or CF scales are still going to buy the aftermarket Ti clips. Yes, you'd probably kill MXG's two $23 Ti deep carry clips for the Native 5 LW, but how many people are buying a $23 Ti clip to put on a $95 MAP back-lock with a plastic handle? The lack of clip innovation is a bit frustrating from the company who invented the pocket clip on folding knives, particularly in light of all the other innovation y'all do. I also agree that the solution of licensing a clip design from one of the aftermarket makers to mass produce in steel would be beneficial to everyone.
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Collaboration with excelent designers has produced some amazing Spyderco knives over the years.
A colaboration with Casey Lynch for steel clips as OE on a few knives, Wow! Great idea.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Yes, you'd probably kill MXG's two $23 Ti deep carry clips for the Native 5 LW, but how many people are buying a $23 Ti clip to put on a $95 MAP back-lock with a plastic handle?
I purchased a MXG deep carry clip for my Native 5 LW and love it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I have no intention on buying one of these so... no lost business for them.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If I need to be discrete I choose one of my knives that fits the bill already without swapping clips, but thinking about it I never need to choose big + discrete.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I've personally never had a desire for deep carry clips, although I have nothing against them.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"