Need Suggestion on a VG10 KNife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Need Suggestion on a VG10 KNife

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

HI guys I am about to pull the trigger on a K390 Police. That being said I prefer knives larger than the Paramilitary 2 and own several MIllie's. The Spydiechef is the only smaller knife I EDC and it has close to the same cutting edge in terms of length as a Millie.

I have been wanting to try VG10 for some time now. Knowing my preference in size what would you recommend and why? Thank you.
sok

Re: Need Suggestion on a VG10 KNife

Post by sok »

Caly 3.5 with VG10 and G10 handle.

Edit** I just reread your post and saw that you are wanting something bigger than the Caly 3.5.
I love VG10 BTW. It is probably my favorite.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sok wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 pm
Caly 3.5 with VG10 and G10 handle.

Edit** I just reread your post and saw that you are wanting something bigger than the Caly 3.5.
I love VG10 BTW. It is probably my favorite.
Thanks sok, see allot in ZDP189 but no VG10 for sale seems to be discontinued.
sok

Post by sok »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 pm

I have been out of the loop lately and last I had looked they were no longer sold. They were also selling for a lot on ebay. But, I was looking around on BBS's site and saw some for sale. I have been tempted to pick up an extra. It is my main edc.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Probably the most basic and lowest cost to try out would be an endura. If you are looking for something more exotic, the shabaria sprint just came out.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks SF Native. Was Thinking Endura also.

Looked at the Shabaria and it is not something that appeals to me. It reminds me of a result I obtained while changing a serrated Victoronix Mariner into a plain edge and just looks like the mistake I made. Lost allot of steel for very little in return. Did not know how to properly work with serrations back then.

Apologies do not mean to be offensive to anyone who likes this design it just hits me wrong all the way.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sok wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:32 pm
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 pm

I have been out of the loop lately and last I had looked they were no longer sold. They were also selling for a lot on ebay. But, I was looking around on BBS's site and saw some for sale. I have been tempted to pick up an extra. It is my main edc.
Just clicked Bento Box Shop BBS. :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 pm
Thanks SF Native. Was Thinking Endura also.

Looked at the Shabaria and it is not something that appeals to me. It reminds me of a result I obtained while changing a serrated Victoronix Mariner into a plain edge and just looks like the mistake I made. Lost allot of steel for very little in return. Did not know how to properly work with serrations back then.

Apologies do not mean to be offensive to anyone who likes this design it just hits me wrong all the way.
No worries friend. A lot of the ethnic knives are a bit polarizing. Looks like the endura or police are the only vg10 larger knives out there.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If fixed blades are an option for you there's the Street Bowie, Temperance and Temperance 2.

Aside from the Police 3 and Endura, there is also the Tatanka. Certainly a big one.
:unicorn
arty

Post by arty »

The only large folder that I have in VG10 is a large Lum, but I don’t see them around anymore. I have seen older models of the police in VG10 and the Mike Draper. I am not generally a fan of metal handles, but these are pretty big.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Endura, obviously.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:52 am
If fixed blades are an option for you there's the Street Bowie, Temperance and Temperance 2.

Aside from the Police 3 and Endura, there is also the Tatanka. Certainly a big one.
Tatanka is huge.... I think I better stick with a police before jumping into the 5 inch and above folders. It looks awesome.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Though a bit smaller than the others, but larger than a Delica, with a lot of cutting edge and pretty cheap... is the Centofante 3.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 am
Though a bit smaller than the others, but larger than a Delica, with a lot of cutting edge and pretty cheap... is the Centofante 3.
Hmmm okay looking into it now.

BTW love my H1 Pacific Salt Serrated just wish it was in G10 the FRN up and down play is quite annoying.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thank you for the Centofante 3 suggestion but it is diving down into the realm of too small for my tastes anything in the PM2 Range or under is what I consider too small. It is a nice looking knife though and the suggestion is appreciated.
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Stretch is a great choice for afis. One of my favorite under-appreciated Spydies.

Slim VG-10 blade, great ergos, carries lightly in pocket.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ooooooooo, perfect! Totally forgot about the Stretch. That's definitely what he needs!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ferider

Post by ferider »

He "prefers blades larger than the PM2 / Stretch" ...

OP, the Tatanka is a great knife - don't write it off just yet. If - like me - you like Military and P4, the next logical choice would be either Chinook 4 or Hundred Pacer (S30V and CTS-XHP). The 100 Pacer is such a cool knife.

Now, if it has to be VG10, the Endura has an almost 4" blade, and is a Spyderco classic. Or something completely different: how do you like the idea of a Civilian ?

Roland.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Civilian is pretty cool but I would guess it's primary function is self defense. I like to cook with mine.

I decided to go with a Stretch2 in VG-10 smaller than I prefer but it is a favorite of Sal's so I decided ok give it a shot.

Once my Police 4 arrives I will have a better idea of how much larger to consider. Once upon a time I thought the Military ridiculous in size but not anymore.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m not sure how much it makes sense to order a knife just to get VG-10. It’s a great steel, and half of my knives are VG-10, but it’s nt going to blow your socks off. That said a Stretch isn’t a bad knife to have.