How different is your daily carry knife w/ gloves on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: How different is your daily carry knife w/ gloves on?

Post by vivi »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks all.
Being a lefty with a messed up right hand, anyone who is left handed have experience carrying a standard right handed right clip Military as a lefty? I've done it before with other knives,but usually cheapos (in the past before I got a decent knife).
I'm Still leaning towards an ffg Endura but... just curious, how is it to use/carry the standard Military lefty?
I know they make a special lefty one but I'd rather buy from my local store which has several standard Military's than special order....

Lonerider
Try asking that store if they could order you a lefty Military. I've had local stores special order me Spyderco knives before.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I've found most everything harder to handle with gloves on ... especially the smaller it gets. I don't do small knives with gloves.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

I live in the high country at 10,000' altitude. Gloves are common when I go outside. The Military, the P4, have large holes and easy access locks.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:24 pm
lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:59 pm
Thanks all.
Being a lefty with a messed up right hand, anyone who is left handed have experience carrying a standard right handed right clip Military as a lefty? I've done it before with other knives,but usually cheapos (in the past before I got a decent knife).
I'm Still leaning towards an ffg Endura but... just curious, how is it to use/carry the standard Military lefty?
I know they make a special lefty one but I'd rather buy from my local store which has several standard Military's than special order....

Lonerider
Try asking that store if they could order you a lefty Military. I've had local stores special order me Spyderco knives before.
I’m not lefty but I train both hands. Had Resilience with as large as lock release cutout, it works well left handed. In fact any lock works for my left hand. Never use knives with glove on though (living in the tropics), but I have no problem operating right handed liner/frame locks with my left hand.

Vivi’s suggestions is spot on, why not ask the shop order for you if the option is there.
Chris :spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Smallest knife I carry is a pm2, and depending on the glove it can be fumbly, but it works. No issues with any other models using gloves.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well I tried the Military and guess what... since it is pivot up only carry, the standard right hand model works in the left pocket.

As someone else said, I dont have a problem using righty knives... it was more an issue of clip position.
But... since it worked when I tried it...

I am now the proud owner of this thing...
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
fdahood

Post by fdahood »

My work knife is a Gayle Bradley 2, and it is awesome in that role EXCEPT for when I am doing something with gloves on. As far as I can tell it is literally impossible to operate the lock while wearing gloves. Just something to consider for a Bradley 3 eh?
vivi

Post by vivi »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am
Well I tried the Military and guess what... since it is pivot up only carry, the standard right hand model works in the left pocket.

As someone else said, I dont have a problem using righty knives... it was more an issue of clip position.
But... since it worked when I tried it...

I am now the proud owner of this thing...
Lonerider
Nice :cool:
:unicorn
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks! I still want an orange ffg endura though...
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

If I'm wearing gloves I definitely use my p4, but if I'm in cold with no gloves I tend to use a flipper, I find flipper tabs much easier with compromised coordination due to the cold, also with gloves I prefer the back lock over the liner, just a personal preference, not that it's actually any better or easier, just easier for me
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:00 pm
Since you mentioned the Millie would be a bit too pricey for you, my recommendation may not the best, since also quite expensive, but nevertheless:

What about the burnt orange HAP 40 Endura for an "orange ffg Endura"? Color is not that bright orange (I prefer the burnt orange actually anyway), but it features a great steel. I own and owned quite a few Enduras, the HAP 40 is my all time favorite amongst them. You can still find it on ebay / secondary market.
The stretch 1 (imho a better knife than the current stretch 2) is also still available in HAP 40 and burnt orange on ebay and the like. Stretch 1 beeing the only knife (at least since the Kapara came out recently) that I SOMETIMES liked over the Endura as my favorite knife (though I always came back to the Endura in the end... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 am
lonerider1013 wrote:
Since you mentioned the Millie would be a bit too pricey for you, my recommendation may not the best, since also quite expensive, but nevertheless:

What about the burnt orange HAP 40 Endura for an "orange ffg Endura"? Color is not that bright orange (I prefer the burnt orange actually anyway), but it features a great steel. I own and owned quite a few Enduras, the HAP 40 is my all time favorite amongst them. You can still find it on ebay / secondary market.
The stretch 1 (imho a better knife than the current stretch 2) is also still available in HAP 40 and burnt orange on ebay and the like. Stretch 1 beeing the only knife (at least since the Kapara came out recently) that I SOMETIMES liked over the Endura as my favorite knife (though I always came back to the Endura in the end... :)
Alreasdy bought the milli lol!
But the endura is next. Sadly I prefer the bright orange so we'll see... My only endura now is sabre ground, lookining for that ffg....
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

My Endura 1 was really good to use with Nomex flying gloves (which isn't surprising as the leather in thin on the front
and the nomex thin all over. It was also good/easy to use with thicker leather gloves used when rapeling/roping (which
is what I originally purchased it for).

So really good.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 am
lonerider1013 wrote:

Alreasdy bought the milli lol!
But the endura is next. Sadly I prefer the bright orange so we'll see... My only endura now is sabre ground, lookining for that ffg....
Enjoy your Milli! I like mine, but honestly prefer the Endura ffg. Mostly due to the better carryability and the tip up option.

/ "Sadly"? Prefering bright orange Endura over burnt orange Enduras is only good for you... the latter are harder to find and way more expensive (you pay for that HAP 40, but it´s worth it imho)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm
I would be carrying a Military and it works fine with gloves on.

Used Militiary's quite a bit with gloves on over the years.

+1 Best knife for gloves. Which is why I would love to one day see a Military Salt in H1 SE. It would really be the ultimate outdoor folder for me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:07 pm
So ... wearing work gloves this morning (because it was darn cold at 4am) and noticed something... my Delica was darn hard to get out and open quickly when needed. Fumbly almost. I imagine this is because the gloves make the fingers somewhat bigger. Anyway... question: how different is the knife you carry most with gloves on? Harder to use? Similar? My thoughts are that if I had my endura it'd have been less fiddly. I.e., a somewhat bigger knife to counteract the fact that I effectively had bigger hands. Or is it just practice and you get used to it? Thoughts appreciated as winter is just starting lol.
Lonerider
I find that if you’re using a Spyderco with a 14 mm hole there’s usually not a problem it’s when you have one with a smaller than 14 mm hole the issues arise. Which is one reasons I EDC the PM2 DLC.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I do pretty well. A PM2 is very easy to open gloves or not.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Yeh. I just discovered that AFTER buying my military... Doh! Oh well it is a nice knife and now I have all three, para3, pm2, military...
Since the para3 has the same oversize hole I wonder if that would also be easier to open? Given it has same blade length as the delica might go to carrying that one at work instead.
Except I like my delica too.
I mean I been carrying the military a lot since I got it... so much so as a lefty I'd adapted to it and when carrying another knife find myself having to readjust lol. But I haven't carried it at work for blade length scare reasons...
Has anyone ever modified the hole, making it slightly bigger, like with a file or drill? Would it ruin the knife? I've chamfered the edges if some holes... maybe iuf I did that a bit more to a delica it'd have the same effect as a slightly larger hole? I ask as though I love my pm2 and para3 and my new military, the military is a bit large fir some places or situations, and the slimness of the delica is really preferable in others...
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Or I could buy a native. Does the native 5 lightweight have the oversize hole?