Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 am
I can flick my backlocks as easily as any other lock type, but I never understood the point of flicking open a knife to begin with. I tried it out of curiosity when I heard backlocks couldn't be flicked, otherwise I manually open them with my thumb.

What's the appeal?
Thanks for your reply!

I am a little surprised: You really can flick your backlocks AS EASY as any other lock type?! I personally find backlocks always have more tension and resistance to flicking, and are definitely harder to flick than other lock types, given the action is set up in about the same tightness. I keep the pivot screws of my knifes rather tight (the blades are not free dropping when the locks are disengaged), and really, Linerlock and Comp. Lock are strengthwise and skillwise WAY easyer to flick with all fingers.

"What`s the appeal?"--- THAT is actually a very good question, I never really thought about. Hard to answer, since their are many levels on which one could do so, and it could even get quite "philosophical"...
I´ll try to keep it as simple as possible:
From a practical and rational point of view there is of course no reason to flick a knife open. BUT from such a point of view there is mostly also no reason to collect a lot of knives... Thinking solely practical, I could do everything I want to do with a knife owning only one ZDP Endura and a proper sharpening device for probably my whole lifespan.
I just love knives (like probably everyone on this forum) and I don´t know WHY exactly; I like to use, handle and play around with knives, and flicking is one way to do so... and it´s a very Spyderco-specific thing, since for a long time only Spydies featured the hole in the blade.
Probably, if I am really honest to myself, there were times when I wanted to "show off" a little bit by flicking; but mostly it´s just pure fun - or I am the kind of guy who enjoys such stuff. I had a time when I taught myself some balisong-tricks, and I still like to throw my Esee Laserstrike in dead trees when I am outdoors.
And I think it´s great that there are so many ways to enjoy knives, and everyone can pick the ones he or she likes..
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 am
I like it, even on the big knives. Check out my related thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82000.

I should add that the power lock on Chinook 4 and Tatanka makes it easier.
Thanks for the reply and the interesting link!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 am
I always thought it was odd when some people would say that Spyderco back locks can't be flicked open, or can't be closed easily one-handed. I used to like occasionally flicking my back locks. I never had any trouble flicking open my SS Police models, Enduras, Delicas, Pacific Salts, Salt 1's, etc. But I stopped doing that, as IMO it accelerates wear and, if done too often, will loosen the tolerances.

I also practice hand/grip strengthening exercises, which includes using 'Heavy Grips' (150 and 200 lbs, at extremely low reps and holding), and gripping the mouth of a good-sized weighted jar. A third method is to grip your own hands tightly together and squeeze as hard as you can for maybe 10-15 seconds, rest, then repeat a few times. A fourth exercise is slow knuckle push-ups, or simply holding the extended position, with weight on the first two knuckles (index and middle finger knuckles) of each hand. This forces you to make properly tightened fists, with properly aligned wrists.

My profession is massage therapist, so my hands must be strong, and I'm also always using them in my work, which also strengthens them. As far as strengthening the fingers in the opposite direction (i.e., extension, as opposed to flexion), there are a couple methods I use. One is to stick my hand inside the weighted jar and open my fingers inside the lip of the jar and lift it up. Another is to simply put one of your hands inside of the other hand, and 'fight' to open your fingers against the tension provided by the outside hand.

I do these or other hand strengthening exercises at least 2, but no more than 3X per week. But every day of the week I massage and stretch my hands and fingers.

Personally, I don't really feel that flicking open Spyderco back locks would add to my hand strengthening regimen. I've never found them difficult to flick open, and besides, you aren't using all of your fingers when doing so. Just my opinion.

Jim
Many thanks for your extensive and interesting reply!! To be honest: Most of my finger strength training I do WHILE climbing, or on a hanging board; Flicking backlocks I do mostly for fun, but as a sideeffect I do believe it strengthens my fingers a bit, or at least enhances mobility.. but admittedly I am sure you know more of that stuff by profession.
I´ll remember your valuable tipps and try to implement them in my training! Thanks again!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 pm
I haven't been able to flick my Native open at all, much less with a finger.

Delica is better; I can thumb flick it.

While I can flick some of my lockbacks, it's not really rewarding, to me.

Balisongs and Axis locks are best here, I find.
Thanks for your reply and sharing your experience!
Yes, as I said, my Native 5 LW is a challenge for me too.. I have to do kind of a wrist flick too to fully flick open the blade, so here it is not just the finger which does the "flick".
And you´re totally right: It is NOT rewarding at first. Rewarding for some may be to ACHIEVE that new skill, but it may take a long time...
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I can flick open an Endura 4 with ease, but a Military or pm2 is certainly even easier. I think flicking is just a fun thing. But once you learn it, it just becomes another option for opening. Depending on how you initially grasp your knife (depending on the particular model, be it tip up or tip down), there is usually one method of opening that requires the least hand repositioning, and that's the one I typically go with.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Smaug wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm
As climber training, I would think there are other forms of exercise that would be better for one's fingers.
Strictly as a climber training, you are right 100 %!! There are very many very much better forms... but they do not include handling a Spyderco... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Personally, I don't really feel that flicking open Spyderco back locks would add to my hand strengthening regimen. I've never found them difficult to flick open, and besides, you aren't using all of your fingers when doing so. Just my opinion.

Jim
[/quote]

https://youtu.be/eWMflRdOo24
I've done these workouts for my hands, it creates flexibility, and strength. Repeat the same workouts for a longer duration of time creates a good workout, also doing pullups works well
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! I´ll try that!
Of course I do pullups too as a climber training; They strengthen the fingers even more if you do them on a thicker bar, wrap a towel around you bar or use special "grip force" grips (just google those); Or do the pullups on a hanging board featuring various kinds of holds.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm
I can flick open an Endura 4 with ease, but a Military or pm2 is certainly even easier. I think flicking is just a fun thing. But once you learn it, it just becomes another option for opening. Depending on how you initially grasp your knife (depending on the particular model, be it tip up or tip down), there is usually one method of opening that requires the least hand repositioning, and that's the one I typically go with.
I carry all my knifes tip up (except my Millie of course, but that one I carry very rarely); In everyday life with shorter, lighter knifes I do almost always a thumb flick (or slower thump opening); with longer, heavier knifes a Spydie-flick,that is if no one is watching and could get scared by it (somehow "non knife people" find the Spydie-flick even more scary and strange than finger flick the knife open in my experience)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:56 pm
Vivi wrote:
I can flick my backlocks as easily as any other lock type, but I never understood the point of flicking open a knife to begin with. I tried it out of curiosity when I heard backlocks couldn't be flicked, otherwise I manually open them with my thumb.

What's the appeal?
From a practical and rational point of view there is of course no reason to flick a knife open. BUT from such a point of view there is mostly also no reason to collect a lot of knifes...
Touche :p
:unicorn
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Be careful. flicking backlocks wore a slit in my fingernail lol.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:54 pm
Be careful. flicking backlocks wore a slit in my fingernail lol.
MAN! I hope you got to the hospital on time... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:56 pm
Vivi wrote:

What's the appeal?
From a practical and rational point of view there is of course no reason to flick a knife open. BUT from such a point of view there is mostly also no reason to collect a lot of knifes...
Touche :p
:)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm
I carry all my knifes tip up (except my Millie of course, but that one I carry very rarely); In everyday life with shorter, lighter knifes I do almost always a thumb flick (or slower thump opening); with longer, heavier knifes a Spydie-flick,that is if no one is watching and could get scared by it (somehow "non knife people" find the Spydie-flick even more scary and strange than finger flick the knife open in my experience)
I never thumb flick, when using my thumb I just open it slowly and firmly. I feel that there's a slight chance of me cutting myself if I flick it open with my thumb, and it feels awkward. Everyone at work is used to me being the "knife guy" of the group. We have a safety officer from another company there that saw me flick open my pm2 and decided to share some stories about people using knives incorrectly. To my surprise she wasn't referring to me or using me as an example. Thankfully she views me as a responsible knife user. But she said that she was on a job once where they gave out engraved knives to everyone on the crew. She said that they were automatic knives and opened extremely quickly. I flicked open the pm2 extra hard and said "THAT quickly?", and she said "oh, they opened MUCH more quickly than that!" I said "they must be pretty darn quick then". I found that funny.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I open my Enduras so quickly it probably looks like I'm flipping it open. I generally don't like flippers and prefer back locks because of the bias towards closing and don't feel like it slows me down even slightly. I've carried my Enduras so long my muscle memory makes an easy normal opening faster than I can get with my autos. I have to deliberately slow the sequence down when I'm around others.

Wartstein, have you done the Watzman, Kleiner Watzmann, and Watzmannkinder yet? I lived nearby and did some climbing but never got the time to do everything I wanted. I loved waking up to see the Watzman every day and see storms up there even in the summer some years.

Joe
Tims

Post by Tims »

Backlock fan checking in, I’ve never thought of using them as an extensor training tool though.

I can flick ‘em but prefer the feel and sound of a slow roll out. ‘Nothing, nothing, thunk!’
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 am
I open my Enduras so quickly it probably looks like I'm flipping it open. I generally don't like flippers and prefer back locks because of the bias towards closing and don't feel like it slows me down even slightly. I've carried my Enduras so long my muscle memory makes an easy normal opening faster than I can get with my autos. I have to deliberately slow the sequence down when I'm around others.

Wartstein, have you done the Watzman, Kleiner Watzmann, and Watzmannkinder yet? I lived nearby and did some climbing but never got the time to do everything I wanted. I loved waking up to see the Watzman every day and see storms up there even in the summer some years.

Joe
Hey Joe (love to write that, since I was a Jimi Hendrix Fan when younger..:),

So you do carry Enduras a lot like I do? I always find myself coming back carrying an Endura, even if I carry another model for some time. Maybe the Kapara will be able to change that and become my most carried knife, time will tell...

/ Concerning Watzmann: Man, do not ask me questions like that on this forum, could end in an endless off-topic-talk... ;)
So: I live in Salzburg, which is an about 20 minutes drive away from the foothills of the Watzman; Like you did, I can see this mountain from my homeplace.
Of course I did every climb and hike there is on the Watzmann I guess: Did the Watzmann and the crossing of all three peaks many, many times; all the Watzmannkinder (for lurkers: The Watzmann-Children in english); The Kleiner Watzmann (also called Watzmannfrau = Wife of Watzmann) on several routes; the Eastface several times, also alone and unroped (the Eastface is very famous in Europe since it is the highest rock-face in the eastern alps; 1800 Meter of elevation only wall (about 6000 feet), 2100 total elevation from valley to the top (almost 7000 feet); technically not a difficult climb, but quite serious; in most years we have several people falling to their death there sadly); even did the WEST-Face which is almost never done and even close locals are not aware of; Did climb the Kleiner Watzmann, The Southpeak and severeal Watzmannkinder in the Wintertime and descendet on skiers. Searched for and found all of the long forgotten trails of the old days (like 18th a nd 19th century)
And so on... ;)
To relate this sermon to this forum a little bit: I am quite sure that on each of this climbs either one of my Enduras (great for lunchtime outdoors) or (when climbing really hard stuff teamed up and with a rope) my CE Delica clipped to my harness (great, sturdy, climbing knife, good for cutting cordage) were with me

Where do you live now if you like to tell? And why did you have to leave the imho best place to live? ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am
The Mastiff wrote:

Joe

So you do carry Enduras a lot like I do? I always find myself coming back carrying an Endura, even if I carry another model for some time. Maybe the Kapara will be able to change that and become my most carried knife, time will tell...

/ Concerning Watzmann: Man, do not ask me questions like that on this forum, could end in an endless off-topic-talk... ;)
So: I live in Salzburg, which is an about 20 minutes drive away from the foothills of the Watzman; Like you did, I can see this mountain from my homeplace.
Of course I did every climb and hike there is on the Watzmann I guess: Did the Watzmann and the crossing of all three peaks many, many times; all the Watzmannkinder (for lurkers: The Watzmann-Children in english); The Kleiner Watzmann (also called Watzmannfrau = Wife of Watzmann) on several routes; the Eastface severeal times, also alone and unroped (the Eastface is very famous in Europe since it is the highest rock-face in the eastern alps; 1800 Meter of elevation only wall (about 6000 feet), 2100 total elevation from valley to the top (almost 7000 feet); technically not a difficult climb, but quite serious; in most years we have several people falling to their death there sadly); even did the WEST-Face which is almost never done and even close locals are not aware of; Did climb the Kleiner Watzmann, The Southpeak and severeal Watzmannkinder in the Wintertime and descendet on skiers. Searched for and found all of the long forgotten trails of the old days (like 18th a nd 19th century)
And so on... ;)
To relate this sermon to this forum a little bit: I am quite sure that on each of these climbs either one of my Enduras (great for lunchtime outdoors) or (when climbing really hard stuff teamed up and with a rope) my CE Delica clipped to my harness (great, sturdy, climbing knife, good for cutting cordage)

Where do you live now if you like to tell? And why did you have to leave the imho best place to live? ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am
Backlock fan checking in, I’ve never thought of using them as an extensor training tool though.

I can flick ‘em but prefer the feel and sound of a slow roll out. ‘Nothing, nothing, thunk!’
Thanx for your reply, yep, I am not sure how good of an extensor training it is in fact... ;) Maybe I just make myself believe it is so I have more reason to play around with my backlocks; I sometimes read the term "safequeen", I don´t have anything like that, I love to use and handle ALL of my knifes as frequent as possible.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 am
The Mastiff wrote:

Joe

Of course I did every climb and hike there is on the Watzmann I guess: Did the Watzmann and the crossing of all three peaks many, many times; all the Watzmannkinder (for lurkers: The Watzmann-Children in english); The Kleiner Watzmann (also called Watzmannfrau = Wife of Watzmann) on several routes; the Eastface severeal times, also alone and unroped (the Eastface is very famous in Europe since it is the highest rock-face in the eastern alps; 1800 Meter of elevation only wall (about 6000 feet), 2100 total elevation from valley to the top (almost 7000 feet); technically not a difficult climb, but quite serious; in most years we have several people falling to their death there sadly); even did the WEST-Face which is almost never done and even close locals are not aware of; Did climb the Kleiner Watzmann, The Southpeak and several Watzmannkinder in the Wintertime and descendet on skiers. Searched for and found all of the long forgotten trails of the old days (like 18th a nd 19th century)
And so on... ;)
To relate this sermon to this forum a little bit: I am quite sure that on each of these climbs either one of my Enduras (great for lunchtime outdoors) or (when climbing really hard stuff teamed up and with a rope) my CE Delica clipped to my harness (great, sturdy, climbing knife, good for cutting cordage) were with me.. ;)

Tims

Post by Tims »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 am
Tims wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:54 am

Thanx for your reply, yep, I am not sure how good of an extensor training it is in fact... ;) Maybe I just make myself believe it is so I have more reason to play around with my backlocks; I sometimes read the term "safequeen", I don´t have anything like that, I love to use and handle ALL of my knifes as frequent as possible.
Mate, the more knives you own, the less pratical reasons you have to buy more, so use any excuse you can find I say!

I had surgery to repair an extensor tendon on my ‘knife hand’ not long ago and flicking knives would have been more fun than rubber bands for rehab had I thought of it