Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Post by Wartstein »

Still very new to this great forum, and not a native speaker, so I don´t know if my topic sounds odd or even fits in here - but I´ll give it a try anyway ;)

Very often I´ve read that people consider backlocks as being kind of boring, cause they were not really "flickable" and fun.
I for myself find backlocks my favorite kind of lock, and actually I really love to finger flick my backlock knifes (and most of my folders ARE backlocks in fact).

Let me explain a little bit: I am a quite ambitious rock-climber, so my fingers should be somewhat strong. And it´s a good thing to train them both further in strength and in dexterity. It may sound odd, but flicking backlocks is a good way to do so, exactly because they are harder to flick. On top of that, in climbing you usually train your fingers to curl INWARDS and grip to the holds, when flicking you train exactly the opposite,OUTWARDS movement, which keeps your finger muscles balanced in a healthy way.

My backlock knives have a rather tight action, since I do not like blade play. Nevertheless I´ve trained myself to flick them open with every finger on both hands (of course in a reversed position with the pinky) - only on the Native 5 it´s hard to do, due to the very light blade I guess.

The thing is: I found it to be really satisfying and fun to achieve that skill and another way to enjoy my knifes (and most of us play around with their knives anyway while watching TV or whatever, I figure). Especially the sound a good backlock "clicks" when engaged is very satisfying

So: I would be really interested who else likes backlock-flicking -
AND I´d like to motivate anyone to give it a try and "train" to flick backlocks for a little time regularely, it´s really fun to make progress in this skill... ;)

Lastly I want to add: Of course I still find it facinating, how easy and smooth my compression-lock Kapara or Liner-lock Millie do flick, no doubt.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: Flicking backlocks - who does like it? And motivational post

Post by Wartstein »

Double post
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Re: Flicking backlocks - who likes it? And motivational post

Post by Wartstein »

Triple post....
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I own endura, had a delicate, police 4 and unfortunately those are my only backlock Spydercos ive owned or own, and I've never shared the same feelings with other about them not being "flickable", as I do flick or have flicked them all, even the endura and delicas that have a smaller hole, and I enjoy it also, especially my p4, which has been my favorite knife lately, besides in the winter when I'm working outside my fingers loose some dexterity, so I've been using a zt 0393 that flips, it's much easier in the cold when your working
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 am
I own endura, had a delicate, police 4 and unfortunately those are my only backlock Spydercos ive owned or own, and I've never shared the same feelings with other about them not being "flickable", as I do flick or have flicked them all, even the endura and delicas that have a smaller hole, and I enjoy it also, especially my p4, which has been my favorite knife lately, besides in the winter when I'm working outside my fingers loose some dexterity, so I've been using a zt 0393 that flips, it's much easier in the cold when your working
Thanx for your very quick reply! / Great, that we share the like of flicking backlocks.. ;) - I never handled a Police, mostly I flick one of my Enduras. And I am one of the few I guess, who would like the Kaparato feature a backlock instead of a comp.lock (though I still love my Kapara as it is indeed)
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To the Admins: By accident I quoted my OWN original post two times!! SORRY for that, maybe you could delete the 2 unnecessesary quotes for me for I can´t do so anymore...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 am
DBCOOPER wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 am
Thanx for your very quick reply! / Great, that we share the like of flicking backlocks.. ;) - I never handled a Police, mostly I flick one of my Enduras. And I am one of the few I guess, who would like the Kapara to feature a backlock instead of a comp.lock (though I still love my Kapara as it is indeed)
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

Haha I guess we are backwards, as I've never handled a kapara, tho I want to.
Also i recommend the police 4 highly, if you like the endura like me, the police 4 only gets better and better, such a great steel, upgraded contours and a larger hole, it truely is a great knife, it's like the endura on steroids without the negative side effects xD
So as long as you can handle a nonstainless blade, if not sal has said there will be a frn p4 in possibly multiple steels with more k390, and possibly vg10 or zdp189, don't quote me tho on exacts but I know it'll at least have a stainless
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I too like backlocks and the solid feeling when it engaged. Have not found any other lock giving same satisfactory feedback. It’s also totally ambidextrous.

I also flick them, but only thumb or middle finger. ;)

To those taking upon the challenge, please tape up your edges, so you don’t get cut. Don’t ask me how I know :o :(

OP, it seems we’re from same generation, I’m also not a native speaker, and welcome to the forum ... :cool: :spyder:
Chris :spyder:
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I love back locks maybe my favorite,
I can flick easily with my thumb
and I have gotten so use to the Spydie drop it just comes very natural to me I don't even think about it.

My most enjoyable knives are Titanium back locks such as Chaparral and Native...
both very good looking and built to last longer than me!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can flick my backlocks as easily as any other lock type, but I never understood the point of flicking open a knife to begin with. I tried it out of curiosity when I heard backlocks couldn't be flicked, otherwise I manually open them with my thumb.

What's the appeal?
:unicorn
ferider

Post by ferider »

I like it, even on the big knives. Check out my related thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82000.

I should add that the power lock on Chinook 4 and Tatanka makes it easier.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I always thought it was odd when some people would say that Spyderco back locks can't be flicked open, or can't be closed easily one-handed. I used to like occasionally flicking my back locks. I never had any trouble flicking open my SS Police models, Enduras, Delicas, Pacific Salts, Salt 1's, etc. But I stopped doing that, as IMO it accelerates wear and, if done too often, will loosen the tolerances.

I also practice hand/grip strengthening exercises, which includes using 'Heavy Grips' (150 and 200 lbs, at extremely low reps and holding), and gripping the mouth of a good-sized weighted jar. A third method is to grip your own hands tightly together and squeeze as hard as you can for maybe 10-15 seconds, rest, then repeat a few times. A fourth exercise is slow knuckle push-ups, or simply holding the extended position, with weight on the first two knuckles (index and middle finger knuckles) of each hand. This forces you to make properly tightened fists, with properly aligned wrists.

My profession is massage therapist, so my hands must be strong, and I'm also always using them in my work, which also strengthens them. As far as strengthening the fingers in the opposite direction (i.e., extension, as opposed to flexion), there are a couple methods I use. One is to stick my hand inside the weighted jar and open my fingers inside the lip of the jar and lift it up. Another is to simply put one of your hands inside of the other hand, and 'fight' to open your fingers against the tension provided by the outside hand.

I do these or other hand strengthening exercises at least 2, but no more than 3X per week. But every day of the week I massage and stretch my hands and fingers.

Personally, I don't really feel that flicking open Spyderco back locks would add to my hand strengthening regimen. I've never found them difficult to flick open, and besides, you aren't using all of your fingers when doing so. Just my opinion.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

my Bucks are all blacklocks, my Spydies too (except one) and my Cold Steel also (except one) :o
I'm always trying to flick them!

Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I haven't been able to flick my Native open at all, much less with a finger.

Delica is better; I can thumb flick it.

While I can flick some of my lockbacks, it's not really rewarding, to me.

Balisongs and Axis locks are best here, I find.
-Jeremy
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

As climber training, I would think there are other forms of exercise that would be better for one's fingers.
-Jeremy
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 am
I always thought it was odd when some people would say that Spyderco back locks can't be flicked open, or can't be closed easily one-handed. I used to like occasionally flicking my back locks. I never had any trouble flicking open my SS Police models, Enduras, Delicas, Pacific Salts, Salt 1's, etc. But I stopped doing that, as IMO it accelerates wear and, if done too often, will loosen the tolerances.

I also practice hand/grip strengthening exercises, which includes using 'Heavy Grips' (150 and 200 lbs, at extremely low reps and holding), and gripping the mouth of a good-sized weighted jar. A third method is to grip your own hands tightly together and squeeze as hard as you can for maybe 10-15 seconds, rest, then repeat a few times. A fourth exercise is slow knuckle push-ups, or simply holding the extended position, with weight on the first two knuckles (index and middle finger knuckles) of each hand. This forces you to make properly tightened fists, with properly aligned wrists.

My profession is massage therapist, so my hands must be strong, and I'm also always using them in my work, which also strengthens them. As far as strengthening the fingers in the opposite direction (i.e., extension, as opposed to flexion), there are a couple methods I use. One is to stick my hand inside the weighted jar and open my fingers inside the lip of the jar and lift it up. Another is to simply put one of your hands inside of the other hand, and 'fight' to open your fingers against the tension provided by the outside hand.

I do these or other hand strengthening exercises at least 2, but no more than 3X per week. But every day of the week I massage and stretch my hands and fingers.

Personally, I don't really feel that flicking open Spyderco back locks would add to my hand strengthening regimen. I've never found them difficult to flick open, and besides, you aren't using all of your fingers when doing so. Just my opinion.

Jim
https://youtu.be/eWMflRdOo24
I've done these workouts for my hands, it creates flexibility, and strength. Repeat the same workouts for a longer duration of time creates a good workout, also doing pullups works well
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DBCOOPER wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:01 am
Haha I guess we are backwards, as I've never handled a kapara, tho I want to.
Also i recommend the police 4 highly, if you like the endura like me, the police 4 only gets better and better, such a great steel, upgraded contours and a larger hole, it truely is a great knife, it's like the endura on steroids without the negative side effects xD
So as long as you can handle a nonstainless blade, if not sal has said there will be a frn p4 in possibly multiple steels with more k390, and possibly vg10 or zdp189, don't quote me tho on exacts but I know it'll at least have a stainless
Yeah, the Police looks very good,but maybe it´s a little TOO big for me?... it´s closed longer than the Millie, isn´t it? The Endura is a comfortable carry for me, my Millie almost a tad too long..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anagarika wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am
I too like backlocks and the solid feeling when it engaged. Have not found any other lock giving same satisfactory feedback. It’s also totally ambidextrous.

I also flick them, but only thumb or middle finger. ;)

To those taking upon the challenge, please tape up your edges, so you don’t get cut. Don’t ask me how I know :o :(

OP, it seems we’re from same generation, I’m also not a native speaker, and welcome to the forum ... :cool: :spyder:
So... tape your blades and try to learn flick with all other fingers, right and left hand... it´s fun to learn! :)

And thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I am 49, but feel more like 30 ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RobDigi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 am
I love back locks maybe my favorite,
I can flick easily with my thumb
and I have gotten so use to the Spydie drop it just comes very natural to me I don't even think about it.

My most enjoyable knives are Titanium back locks such as Chaparral and Native...
both very good looking and built to last longer than me!
Thanks for your reply! What you mean by "Titanium backlocks"? Not the material, but the redefined new backlock the Native 5 features? That one is really great and solid, absolutely no blade play on my Native 5 LW (which I cannot say about my Enduras, Stretches and Delica)