What was your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

What was your first Spyderco?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

My first Spyderco was the PM2 in S30V and I purchased a Sharpmaker to go with it.

It made me sell all my Chris Reeve Knives and become a die hard Spyderco knife man, and collector close to 30 knives later probably 50 if you count the ones I sold to pay for my hobby!😀
Bill1170

Re: What was your first Spyderco?

Post by Bill1170 »

Sharpmaker was my first Spyderco, in the 80’s. My first Spyderco knife was a ZDP saber ground Delica in 2007. I gifted the SM to a friend after buying a 204 model. The old one had only a single set of holes for the rods, around 40 degrees. I still own and carry that Delica.
Tims

Post by Tims »

My first was a Delica 4 PE sabre grind. I would have been around 23, so 11ish years ago.

It was the most expensive knife I had ever bought. Ahh, those were the days!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tims wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:45 pm
My first was a Delica 4 PE sabre grind. I would have been around 23, so 11ish years ago.

It was the most expensive knife I had ever bought. Ahh, those were the days!
Pretty similar to my experience.

Saber ground Delica 4 about 15 years ago.

Up to that point my knife collection consisted of a Victorinox Classic, Vic Rambler, Vic Camper, Opinel #8 and a cheap $5 hollow handle Rambo knife. I had a CRKT liner lock that was my only clipped pocket knife, but I can't recall the model. Paid $20 for it.

The Delica was quite pricey for me at the time. I think they were about $50 back then.

Got a $40 Walmart Native, Byrd Cara Cara 1, and 440V Military following the Delica.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

First Spyderco product was a Sharpmaker that I bought like 27 years ago.

First Spyderco knife was a Dragonfly 2. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
attila

Post by attila »

Saber ground CE Delica 4 back in 2007. I also got a Wally World special original Native in 2009, firmly cementing me in the ranks of Spyderco fandom.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

My first was a hollow ground Manix 2 PS, about 6 years ago. What I really wanted at the time was the DLC PE model, but I thought i ought to get a more "practical" version. Well, that notion quickly fell by the wayside. It wasn't long before I got the DLC model as well as the DLC XL, got on this forum, got bitten by the sprint and exclusive bug and just started tapering off a bit recently :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

The addiction started with a dragonfly clip-it version vg-10 steel. I made the mistake of asking what the best pocket knife was.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Skidoosh wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:08 am
The addiction started with a dragonfly clip-it version vg-10 steel. I made the mistake of asking what the best pocket knife was.
Excuse the off topic but cool name Skidoosh. It reminds me of when my son was young after watching the movie Kungfu Panda. He ran around for weeks saying ‘skidoosh!’
Thanks for the nostalgia!
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

I received 2 Spyderco's about 5 years ago after my step dad passed away.
Native 2 Stainless in AUS-10 and a Spydercard in AUS-6
The native 2 gets used nearly every day and the spydercard still sits new in box.
I just recently asked here on the forum what model is this? it turned out to be the Native 2 stainless. I've been on a spyderco binge buy spree ever since....
I ran out of room to list all my spyderco's :(
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Spyderco Endura 1 Serrated, Aus-8

Purchased late 80's or very early 90's.
Only knife I carried every day in the mil.
Still going as strong as when it was made 28+ years ago and
Never rusted even though it was wet most of the time.

Just got back into Spydies and have been purchasing a few same/similar and other later designs in the last few months.
Am a user not a collector.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
benben

Post by benben »

Can’t remember which was first, either a serrated Cricket or my Wegner Jr?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

A little stainless Jester, loved it.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

In the mid 90's I had a harpy which lived in my left rear pocket. Normally carried it with a BM Boguszewski Mini Spike. I remember losing it while riding my bike on Broad Street in Philadelphia during rush hour when it pulled out my pocket and was gone forever. I carried the MiniSpike for about a decade when it was replaced with a SE delica (my 2nd Spyderco) about 2007.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Serrated Endura 1, and (does this count?) a Benchmade AFCK back in ‘96. The Endura’s in a box somewhere; I carry the AFCK very occasionally since it’s so large.
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

My first was a Delica purchased just after my 18th birthday in '97 :) It was my first pocket knife with a clip, and also my fist folder outside of the Buck and Victorinox knives I grew up with. Considering how much I now love Spyderco knives, it's funny that it took a really long time for me to start liking that Delica. It was just so different from what I was used to with the blade shape and FRN scales.
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Native LW PE from Walmart. Then I got paranoid that it was a fake since it was half the price as the one at Bass Pro Shop and it didn't have the bug on the blade so I returned it and bought one from BPS in SE. I carried that for a few years and kinda forgot about it since I couldn't sharpen SE, and carried a Gerber EAB for a while before coming back around to Spyderco again and getting a Delica. That knife brought me to this forum because I didn't know Spyderco also made knives in Japan, so my first post here was asking if it were fake and if VG10 was any good. Then things kinda spiraled out of control.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Dragonfly I bought after handling my brother's Delica clipit. It didn't turn into a disease until I joined the forum though.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Blurple PM2

I bought it off the secondary market for an absolute steal that I couldn't pass up. It's not my favorite Spyderco and don't really carry it anymore but can't bring myself to sell it as it was my first. lol
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

FRN Chappie, 20+ models later it might still be my favorite - such an incredible economy of design and that sliceyness that just can't be beat.
~andrew