Okay Sal it's time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dogrunner

Re: Okay Sal it's time

Post by dogrunner »

Powerlock! Backlock! Compression lock! Seriously, just as long as it has a good lock! But please make this knife! Looks awesome. If I had one request, make it in Cruwear! Or 4V or Rex45 or M4. But please something better than VG10 or even S30V! They will sell like chiefs!
sal

Post by sal »

It was mentioned in our strategic planning meeting so I guess it's in-the-works.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :spyder: :spyder:
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

When I first heard about this I got real excited. But what would this look like in the modern Spyderco lineup? The Native line is flat ground with a slight chamfer instead of a swedge. If you made these changes isn’t this essentially a very blocky Shaman with a backlock?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm
It was mentioned in our strategic planning meeting so I guess it's in-the-works.

sal

Great news. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Big50

Post by Big50 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:33 pm
5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:55 am
Let's do this.

No **** Compression lock either!
YES! Keep it backlock!

I think this is going to be my favorite Spyderco folder of all time, hands down. I'm not a fan of thumb ramps at all, and while knives like the Millie and Police 4 give my thumb enough space to breathe, it gets in the way when I choke up on the choil. This design looks so comfortable and versatile.
I’m in. Take my money now!
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:07 pm
When I first heard about this I got real excited. But what would this look like in the modern Spyderco lineup? The Native line is flat ground with a slight chamfer instead of a swedge. If you made these changes isn’t this essentially a very blocky Shaman with a backlock?
longer blade, a lock type many prefer, and possibly (just a guess) thinner blade stock.

the rounded handles of the Shaman are very nice, but I can sand the corners of G10 scales a lot more easily than I can convert a compression lock to a back lock ;)
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:

sal
Chief, FRN Police, Swick Salt, Waterway.....shaping up to be an expensive year for me Sal :)
attila

Post by attila »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 am
sal wrote:

sal
Chief, FRN Police, Swick Salt, Waterway.....shaping up to be an expensive year for me Sal :)
^about the same for me, but add the LC200N Pacific Salt...

I was actually relieved that there weren't any sprints announced for next year (I know they're coming eventually). 2018 was very expensive, and I'm gonna need to sell stuff to justify most of 2019's knife purchases. :eek: :( :rolleyes:
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

attila wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 am
Vivi wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

I was actually relieved that there weren't any sprints announced for next year (I know they're coming eventually). 2018 was very expensive, and I'm gonna need to sell stuff to justify most of 2019's knife purchases. :eek: :( :rolleyes:
I'm buying at least two of those. Haven't heard news about them for a while so I wasn't sure if we'd see them in '19 or not.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 am
attila wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 am
Vivi wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

I'm buying at least two of those. Haven't heard news about them for a while so I wasn't sure if we'd see them in '19 or not.
I have a hunch we'll see the Police but nothing to support that. Skeptical we'll see the Native Chief.
Regardless, I set a limit of 4 Spydercos for next year, so I should be pretty calm about it all.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am excited about a Chief. I am assuming that the pic above is a bit dated though. It is a little too reminiscent of the original Native and I expect the Chief to end up looking like something similar to the Native5 or the Shaman or some combination of the two.

Anyway, I have too many knives already so I will be patiently waiting to see if this comes to fruition and I look forward to seeing the final product. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That piece sort of, kind of reminds me of the old RENEGADE model that I used to dearly love. And I've said on many occasions if they brought back the RENEGADE in a newer/better blade steel it would sure get a lot of attention.

But what the heck! I could go with this bad-boy as well>>> in a good blade steel of course.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I think that pic predates my joining, it's been a while since the Native had a swedge like that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Does anyone know/considered if this will come in spyderedge?

I'm looking for a large SE folder now, I think this could be perfect.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am
Yeah I think that pic predates my joining, it's been a while since the Native had a swedge like that.
It's not the Native, it's the Native Chief. We've been waiting for it for 20 years. An elder that deserves respect. It would be a shame to be FFG.
Here it is at Spyderco HQ.

FFG has become generic/vanilla.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
It's not the Native, it's the Native Chief. We've been waiting for it for 20 years. An elder that deserves respect. It would be a shame to be FFG.

What a great looking knife. I like that sabre grind with swedge.

I'd also buy this one though.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Makes me feel a little better about hearing of Military 2 plans prior to joining this forum, haha.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

5-by-5 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm
Evil D wrote:

Yeah, I'm aware of what it is. I was using the swedge on the Native as a comparison to the swedge we see on the Chief prototype, as a point of dating the pic/design. I doubt we would see a swedge like that today since the current Native doesn't have a swedge like that anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Police still comes in Sabre grind and a swedge. The new Manix from Fradon lock is Sabre grind. The pink Native is still available in Sabre grind and swedge.
The Native Chief needs to be Sabre grind and swedge. The Chief 2 can follow in FFG.