Fixed Blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Calicoast

Fixed Blades?

Post by Calicoast »

Would like to start out that I love all my Spyderco's.

Little late to this Spyderco party, but in reality the party never ends. (Discipline Starts)

Thank you Shawn (Deadboxhero) for the memes (lol) because Maxamet needs to straight up happen.

Spyderco, thank you for seeing it through (Maxamet).
We all remained patient, and we knew that you would get it right. The new catalog confirms that, and I would call that an announcement. A very big one. Instant buy for me.

But after that, I am stacked on folder's.

Temperance 2 in LC200N, is this in the future pipeline?
Because to me, this, and a Para 2 K390 is a no brainer.
Thanks,
C
Calicoast

Re: Fixed Blades?

Post by Calicoast »

FFG
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Temperance 2 fits my hand like it was made to go there. VG10 is alright, but it would be great to see this in an updated steel. Personally I kind of favor 52100 for an updated Temperance 2.

A PM2 in K390 would be another very hard to resist item. The Rex45 comes pretty darn close, but that has come and gone. You have me scratching my head about K390 versus Rex45 though. Or how about this. A PM2 using PMA11 steel. As far as I know, other than the mule, Spyderco has never used this steel. It was researching PMA11 that I learned about 10V and K390. So, just to be different, what about a PM2 using PMA11?
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

@ Tucson Tom

Yes, Temp 2 - any upgrade LC200N, CTS-XHP, M4.
Nothing wrong with VG-10, but if your going to do it, do it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Calicoast wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:33 am
@ Tucson Tom

Yes, Temp 2 - any upgrade LC200N, CTS-XHP, M4.
Nothing wrong with VG-10, but if your going to do it, do it.
Good sized fixed blades like the Temp 2 do require different steels. I by no means have this all mapped out, but I know that some of the super steels that do well in regular sized folders just aren't suitable for bigger fixed blades. I think LC200N would do well, maybe M4 also. 52100 has a track record in fixed blades. I would suggest 154, but we can probably imagine more interesting candidates (but I have a soft spot for 154).

I love 52100, because even as a novice sharpener, it will give me a fantastic edge without much effort.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I’ve been a long time fan of Spydie fixed blades. I would love a Bradley Bowie in CTS-XHP or 3V
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like a Temperance 3 personally.

Bring the cutting edge a bit closer to the handle, and make the transition from spine to scales flat.

The thumb ramp is what kept me from going with a Mule, or Temperance 1 or 2 (Found a source for both) when I recently purchased a new camp knife.

Its one of the things I like about both Perrin models, and something that made the Junction catch my eye.

I have never found a thumb ramp useful, and they do a fantastic job of ruining the ergonomics of otherwise brilliant designs for me. Guess I got me some long thumbs.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Calicoast wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 am
FFG
Interesting you mention the TEMP 2 and the Full Flat Grind blade all in the same paragraph. Because I'm in total agreement with you. However I tend to like the original TEMP 1 model better and I feel it would be a colossal selection for an LC200N Sprint Run or a mainline model for that matter. The TEMP 1 was also made in Spyderedge which I think would bring out the best in LC200N in both edge types>> and the TEMP 1 would make a very affordable outdoor fixed blade.

Even with all the super great fixed blades Spyderco has blessed us with I still rate my TEMP 1 models as my favorites and I use both edge types frequently. I've had both since 2004 and I rarely give either one of my TEMP 1 models a rest.

Also EVIL D made an observation some time back that Spyderedges with a Full Flat Grind function extremely efficiently.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Wait! What am I missing? I have my Temperance 2 right here in my hand and it sure looks like full flat grind to me. And various descriptions online call it such, so I am not hallucinating or something. So I would say, yes, keep the FFG just like the Temp 2 I have here. For my hand the thumb ramp is just right. So yes, I am itching to have this knife in 52100 -- but would settle for LC200N.

Why is it that I have this growing list of discontinued Spydercos that I am fond of? The Temp 2, the Backlock Manix, the Junction.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd like to see the Temperance 2 in 4v/v4e.