Spyderco Military to Australia?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
R.u.u.D

Spyderco Military to Australia?

Post by R.u.u.D »

I surfed the web last night and found big folders like the Hinderer XM24 Spearpoint and the Zero Tolerance 0452WBW on Australian websites.
https://www.australianknifesales.com.au ... earth-g10/

Can I take my Spyderco Military or Strider SMF on my holiday to Australia?

Cheers,

Ruud
Mini2white

Re: Spyderco Military to Australia?

Post by Mini2white »

Carry is dependant on where you are. Some states have carry limitations on knives no matter the size. Import in luggage not carry on is ok. Neither are assisted openers so thats ok. Open carry in most states carries a level of risk.
R.u.u.D

Post by R.u.u.D »

I went to Perth in 2014 and before traveling I asked customs about my Spyderco Military. They told me the Military was controlled under schedule 13 item 16 (single handed opening), capable of opening by centrifugal force. Now I found big folders (you can open with one hand) on Australian websites, did they change the rules afterwards?
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

You can bring it here, just don't get caught with it in an urban area. Especially any venue where alcohol is served. The cops will tear you a new one. Where i live (perth) you need to be able to justify why you are carrying a knife for it to be leagal, and if you say its for self defense your in big trouble. Are you visiting a city? Normals will gasp if you pull out a military in public. If so I'd leave it in the hotel room for food prep and opening shiny new presents. I often will do this when traveling, buy some cheese, crackers and such at the supermarket then take this back to the hotel for snacks when I feel like it. Much easier to justify carry of a SAK than a military.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Tims

Post by Tims »

My advice would be bring something smaller and a little more low key. I don’t own a military because I know I could never carry it.
I carry every day but to be honest, I avoid pulling it out in public for the response I know I’ll get.
I will say it depends on the individual though. Perception is everything so if you’re an unassuming elderly gentleman you will get away with more than someone younger who may be perceived as more of a potential threat.
So I guess my advice would be, regardless of what you carry, be smart about how, when and where you use it.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

R.u.u.D wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:45 am
I went to Perth in 2014 and before traveling I asked customs about my Spyderco Military. They told me the Military was controlled under schedule 13 item 16 (single handed opening), capable of opening by centrifugal force. Now I found big folders (you can open with one hand) on Australian websites, did they change the rules afterwards?
Yes import rules changed. We are so thankful they did. Sal
and the Australian wholesaler also assisted in the long process in getting them changed I believe. So now we can buy many more Spyderco knives than before.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

R.u.u.D wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:45 am
Yes the rules were changed around November 2015. Before that even enduras were very "rare" here.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
R.u.u.D

Post by R.u.u.D »

I carry a Spyderco Military (concealed) at home, on holidays (backpacking) and when at work in Africa or the Middle East. It's my (defense) backup blade and never pulled it out in public. If I go to Australia I will only carry it when going out for bushwalk.
Thnx guys it's clear for me.