Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
colin.p

Re: Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?

Post by colin.p »

"Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?"

Well, for me, I don't like back locks. I only own two (by different manufacturers) that never get carried and just sit in a drawer. However, I'm not crazy about liner/frame locks either, but they do see the light of day on occasion.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Was definitely interested in the back lock version, but...

-Already have 3 Manix 2 sprints.

-Don't carry those enough as I've trended toward smaller knives for most edc.

-When I do want a larger folder, the Manix2's have to compete against the lefty PM2, Millie and a few others.

-Black g10 and s30v is a hard sell anymore. I'm really not even that picky about steel, but it just doesn't move the needle for me when I consider adding a new piece to what's already in the rotation.
:spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Nothing against a fine backlock, but the CBBL is the best lock ever.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I prefer other locks. I just picked up a second Manix 2 w/G10 scales and S90V because I already had a LW with BD1. I rarely purchase any knives with back locks any more.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I got mine in from BladeHQ yesterday. Every bit as amazing as I remember it being from handling one in buferoe's collection last week. In my eyes this is the definitive Manix, harkening back to the original back lock versions but more refined. Silky smooth action, nice crisp clack when the backlock closes, great fit between the backspacer and the handles, and everything else I love about the regular Manix design. If I had to choose one Manix to keep of the ones I have, this one would be it.

...of course, I'm still in the honeymoon period with this knife, so we'll see if my Manix preferences change later.
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I bought a manix backlock and I quite liked it. Then I sold it again.
Asides from being illegal to carry here (which doesn't stop me) and being a total knife flipaholic the reason were:
Too big for my edc use.
The backlock thwack was too loud due to the liner less g10 construction which constantly attracted unwanted attention from non knife people.
bob7

Post by bob7 »

I didn't know it was discontinued until seeing this thread. I bought one last week at an outdoor store in Johnson City, TN. It was the last one, and I probably paid too much as it was not reduced in price like most discontinued. It's a great knife, one of the best spydys if you are a fan of backlocks. Glad I picked it up before they all disappeared.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, here I am, a year and a week after admitting above that I’d chosen to wait for a Manix2 midlock in some steel other S30V, and was thus without a midlock version.

Today, I have one. Not the unlined Manix2 one, but the original lined “Mini” Manix. Pre-owned, but never used. Off-center more than I’d like, but I’ll get it right eventually.

The recent thread on the original C95 reminded me that I still didn’t have its Lil’ brother (still a beast, it makes my Manix2s seem slender and my Shamans undersized). Now that I do, I’m intent on getting the S30V Manix2 midlock, eventually.

Love the Manix!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
sok

Post by sok »

"Why Didn't You Buy A Manix 2 Back Lock?"

Too heavy. If I carry a knife over 4 oz., it will be a Military.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I was waiting for a Cruwear/3V/4V/BHQ DLC Jade M4 or similar variation. Still hoping for one. Knives like the Dodo, G10 Delica, and many others have come out of retirement so it can happen if there is enough interest.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did buy one. If I only had to keep one folder this would be it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I got one from knifeworks about a month ago.
Glad I did. They still have some. Not too late.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Already have several with S30V or close with CBBL.

Wanted a different steel.

Realllly wanted a light weight version. Would have been OK with S30V in that.

CBBL opened on me a few times drawing from IWB.

Did I mention I really wanted a LW version?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Too heavy for having no liners. Blade was
thicker than I like.

For reference it's half an ounce heavier than a native chief while having a blade over half an inch shorter. Both unlined g10 and s30v. The chief obviously wasn't available at the same time, just using as an example of a similar knife I would buy.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To be honest, it hit at a time when the cost of living had overtaken my wage scale and my Spydie buying was pretty much limited to Mules and the Seconds Sale. So mine is a second although I couldn't guess why.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

When it first came out I was interested up until I saw how think it was, then I passed on it. I just looked at the Knifeworks site and they were still in stock at a good price and I passed on it again. I guess I should have grabbed an original back in the day. If the new back lock version had the same Shaman scale treatment, it would have sold better, but maybe the Shaman would have sold worse in that case.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Because it is not in XL. Regular Manix is a stunted runt and fails to express the true spirit of the design.

Yes I know not many have put a Manix XL in their hand but I assure you it fulfills this designs potential, the Manix should never be a tiny knife.

Nuff Said!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Again, wrong size, should have been XL.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nate wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:46 am
Was definitely interested in the back lock version, but...

-Already have 3 Manix 2 sprints.

-Don't carry those enough as I've trended toward smaller knives for most edc.

-When I do want a larger folder, the Manix2's have to compete against the lefty PM2, Millie and a few others.

-Black g10 and s30v is a hard sell anymore. I'm really not even that picky about steel, but it just doesn't move the needle for me when I consider adding a new piece to what's already in the rotation.
All of these ^, except that I’m right-handed.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a big fan of Manix ergos, but the Shaman exists and has a compression lock.

I'd like to handle one of the manix back lock versions, but I can't say it would kick anything else out of my pocket unless it was an ergonomic revelation.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!