Lanyard Hole Size

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kernelpanic

Lanyard Hole Size

Post by kernelpanic »

Hi,
Does the lanyard hole size vary between Spyderco knives. The only one I have with a Lanyard whole is a Delica.
The reason I ask is the whole on the Delica is a very sight squeeze for 550 Paracord, and all my pocket knives I add good length of Paracord so when I dont want to use the pocket clip I can clip the paracord to a clip on my belt so I dont loose it.
Reason I dont always use the pocket clip is that I have noticed it sometimes draws attention like this option.

Kev
The Deacon

Re: Lanyard Hole Size

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, it varies. Some models have none. On some, like the original Kiwis, the lanyard hole is very small. Many have lanyard holes about the same as your Delica, and a few have absurdly large lanyard holes that you could shove quarter inch rope through.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

I've got a new large Endura and the hole is only 1/8". Same as my Delica.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kernelpanic,

As Paul mentioned, the lanyard hole size is different for different models. Some models had 550 Paracord in mind, others not. You may have to go to a thinner cord for the Delica.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:55 am
Hi Kernelpanic,

As Paul mentioned, the lanyard hole size is different for different models. Some models had 550 Paracord in mind, others not. You may have to go to a thinner cord for the Delica.

sal
Sal,

Wouldn’t all larger Seki FRN have same size? Endura, Stretch, Delica?

When I look at it closely, the hole at Endura 4 FRN has a circle mark slightly bigger than the actual hole. The one on Stretch HAP40 (burnt orange) doesn’t have that marking, instead I think it’s drilled out making the actual hole on the Stretch is bigger.
This mark on Endura isn’t present at the pivot end where there’s pivot & screw recessed.

When putting on the clip on butt end, the hole of the Endura FRN handle is smaller than the clip hole. The hole of the Stretch is just matched with the clip hole. Why can’t the Endura/Delica hole same as Stretch? It requires enlarging the hole on FRN and liner, hope it doesn’t need major retooling.
Chris :spyder:
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

sal wrote:
Hi Kernelpanic,

sal
Hi Sal,

My wife showed me a trick today wrapping cotton around the end of the paracord and using it to pull through the 550 paracord so I'm happy now :)
Just like to say, please dont ever discontinue the Delica, its my favourite locking pocket knife. Is a great all rounder and at a good price.

Kev
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:14 am
sal wrote:
Hi Kernelpanic,

sal
Sal,

Wouldn’t all larger Seki FRN have same size? Endura, Stretch, Delica?

When I look at it closely, the hole at Endura 4 FRN has a circle mark slightly bigger than the actual hole. The one on Stretch HAP40 (burnt orange) doesn’t have that marking, instead I think it’s drilled out making the actual hole on the Stretch is bigger.
This mark on Endura isn’t present at the pivot end where there’s pivot & screw recessed.

When putting on the clip on butt end, the hole of the Endura FRN handle is smaller than the clip hole. The hole of the Stretch is just matched with the clip hole. Why can’t the Endura/Delica hole same as Stretch? It requires enlarging the hole on FRN and liner, hope it doesn’t need major retooling.
It would be great if the hole could be enlarged to same size as the hole in the pocket clip. From what my wife showed me it is possible to pull through 550 paracord with a neat trick. But if it doesnt compromise the the strength of the knife or cost anymore on re-tooling I do think this would be a good improvement.
Kev
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

All my Delicas fit 550 paracord just fine.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Something I often do is to pull all the innards out of 550 cord, then melt the ends on the resulting tube (like mini tubular webbing) and use that. It is plenty strong enough for use like lanyards, and can be crammed through smaller holes. It also gives a nicer feel for some uses.