How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toxophilus

Re: How to get more women/females into Spyderco?

Post by toxophilus »

My Best Friend (of 38 years) has an inherent trepidation when it comes to sharp cutting tools (she cut off her fingertip on a meat slicer many, many moons ago) as well as having some hooplehead/yayhoo pull on knife on her in a local park...

I've shown her time & time again that a sharp knife is safer due to controlled cutting versus it slipping due to being dull; she received her first Spyderco a number of years ago and in addition she EDCs a Manbug on her key chain; she asks me to sharpen both of her tools when they are too dull to be safe.

I suppose it's weird for us that have carried knives most of our lives compared to those that haven't, you can't push them into it; it will take time for people to adjust to something we find second nature; BTW she now Bowhunts with me and has her own CCW for the yayhoos :cool:

p.s. she's a better shot than I am with both Bow & Ordinance
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Anyone who repeats the “sharp knife is a safe knife” mantra hasn’t experienced what a thin and truly sharp kitchen knife will do when your finger tip is where it shouldn’t be. I think that applies more to outside the kitchen than in.

On the bright side, it doesn’t hurt much :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 pm
Anyone who repeats the “sharp knife is a safe knife” mantra hasn’t experienced what a thin and truly sharp kitchen knife will do when your finger tip is where it shouldn’t be. I think that applies more to outside the kitchen than in.

On the bright side, it doesn’t hurt much :)

I could win bets with my nerveless left thumb tip ;) I had just cut a bunch of chicken and moved along to the onions, there was a crew of friends around the kitchen and as I turned my head to chat with one, my onion holding technique slipped up and I heard the chicken cutting sound again... It didn't hurt at first, but I knew what I would see when I turned back to the cutting board :eek:

The "cut" (read: thumb tip hanging by a thin flap of callus) was cleaned and bandaged back in place right away (that hurt plenty) and when I went to the Emergency Room later the ER Doc said it probably wouldn't grow back together. It did, but all the nerves were severed, so I can only feel pressure with that thumb tip now.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

It’s a good question.

My wife was more horrified than excited when I gave her a DF2 - but she carried it to humor me. And then she likes it so much that she stole my DF2 when she lost hers. When I gave our daughter a Native 5, my wife said “oh, can I have one of those?” But she loves her Para 3 best of all.

So I think that maybe the initial hump is the biggest obstacle. I didn’t grow up with knives - but I wouldn’t go back to not having one. And the same seems to go for my wife, our son, and our daughters. And my brother-in-law.

-Ward
awa54

Post by awa54 »

DrawBackwards wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm
It’s a good question.

My wife was more horrified than excited when I gave her a DF2 - but she carried it to humor me. And then she likes it so much that she stole my DF2 when she lost hers. When I gave our daughter a Native 5, my wife said “oh, can I have one of those?” But she loves her Para 3 best of all.

So I think that maybe the initial hump is the biggest obstacle. I didn’t grow up with knives - but I wouldn’t go back to not having one. And the same seems to go for my wife, our son, and our daughters. And my brother-in-law.

-Ward

You Sir, are doing it right! :cool:
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Crux

Post by Crux »

The only way to make this happen is to come up with models that have diamonds and gold imbedded. In fact, Spyderco could do a pilot using the Para 3. I as a tester, would then give it to my wife and see if it does the trick. Sal, PM me for my mailing address so we can get right on this. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: