Which model deserves to carry 15V's debut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Which model deserves to carry 15V's debut?

Post by Bodog »

In which model would you like to see CPM 15V make its debut? I'd believe US models would have the highest probability but Taiwan may be feasible considering current tariff issue.

For me:
1)Kapara with marbled carbon fiber
2)Chaparral with special edition raffir noble
3)PM2 with denim micarta
4)Delica with dark blue FRN
5)Military with denim micarta
6)Mini-pattada made in Golden with smooth black G10

None of these would be meant for retarded use and each would come with a disclaimer that they are meant for cutting only and no warranty for broken blades will be given.

I'd love to hear what others think. The poll for the shaman sprint seems to have been heard. Maybe this one, if enough solid answers are given, will be heard too?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
The Meat man

Re: Which model deserves to carry 15V's debut?

Post by The Meat man »

Interesting ideas Bodog.

I'd go for the Native 5. Make the handle linerless G-10, dark brown maybe? I'm actually not that picky when it comes to colors.

Or some kind of Micarta would be nice.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

^^^^ what Connor said.
I'd be equally happy with g10 or frn lw.

I'd also accept a military or a manix xl.
It is nice trying a new steel in a platform that gives a lot of edge length.
Manix XL hasn't had a sprint in forever.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Police 4 with linen micarta scales. Big mamma jamma slicer!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd like a pm2 or larger. Imo, vanadium carbides lend themselves to slicing, as do long blades. I guess the surefire sellout model would be the military.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:48 pm
I'd like a pm2 or larger. Imo, vanadium carbides lend themselves to slicing, as do long blades. I guess the surefire sellout model would be the military.
I tend to agree, though I'd probably buy a smaller knife like the dragonfly or manbug in the same steel.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well as much of an "Old School Spyder" fan as I am I would love to see the return of the TEMPERANCE 1 in that steel :cool: I'm also thinking that a STREETBEAT in that steel would be most interesting as well.

As much as I like the Southfork maybe a Phil Wilson design would be apropos. Or a Laci Szabo fixed blade would go well with that caliber of blade steel. Well they are all good dreams anyway :D But the TEMP 1 in a supersteel is something I've dreamed about for a long time now.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Native or Manix. FRN preferably. Nothing fancy aside from the performance of the steel. I'll buy one or two if it is kept fairly simple.

Joe
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I have never held a Shaman, so this comment stems from pure speculation, but... Spyderco doesn't always keep the exact same blade geometry among a particular model, correct? I feel that the ergonomics on the Shaman (seem to be) so good, that a Shaman with a thinner blade could better accommodate certain steels more suitable for dedicated slicers. As it stands, I know the Shaman is sort of a workhorse; imo begging for Cruwear, 4v, Vanadis 4e, etc. But I've been wondering what steels a Shaman with a thinner blade would beg for. The blade is tall, so to me, the slicer potential is there (with a regrind). Blade height would also help when thinning out a high hardness blade.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Manix(xl) or shaman, ground extra thin bte.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:37 am
I have never held a Shaman, so this comment stems from pure speculation, but... Spyderco doesn't always keep the exact same blade geometry among a particular model, correct? I feel that the ergonomics on the Shaman (seem to be) so good, that a Shaman with a thinner blade could better accommodate certain steels more suitable for dedicated slicers. As it stands, I know the Shaman is sort of a workhorse; imo begging for Cruwear, 4v, Vanadis 4e, etc. But I've been wondering what steels a Shaman with a thinner blade would beg for. The blade is tall, so to me, the slicer potential is there (with a regrind). Blade height would also help when thinning out a high hardness blade.
Two steels I've found that seem to do really well with thin blades are MBS-26 and ZDP-189. Why? I"m not a metallurgist so I really couldn't give you the scientific breakdown but I do know that both of them seem to do well with thin blades. Also I think you could throw AUS-8 into that mix as well.

With a thread currently going on the Spyderco FB-01 MORAN model I'm thinking that model might also be a good one to do with 15V.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

With a thread currently going on the Spyderco FB-01 MORAN model I'm thinking that model might also be a good one to do with 15V.
[/quote]

I'd go with the Moran, nice stock thickness. My understanding is Moran wanted a high end steel to make it really perform
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Military
Native
Brouwer
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Military
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I vote for a Mule and a model that does not yet exist.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Military2
Dreaded

Post by Dreaded »

Being a tool and die maker, we use CPM-15V in some harsh forming applications. This steel is extremely hard to work with, so I would be interested to see how Spyderco would handle the grinding/machinability of this steel. My guess is it would be as difficult or even more difficult to work with then maxamet. That said I'd love to see it in the Manix lineup.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Dreaded wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 am
Being a tool and die maker, we use CPM-15V in some harsh forming applications. This steel is extremely hard to work with, so I would be interested to see how Spyderco would handle the grinding/machinability of this steel. My guess is it would be as difficult or even more difficult to work with then maxamet. That said I'd love to see it in the Manix lineup.
It's not as difficult to work with as Maxamet and Rex121
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ll take a 10V Military, but a 15V one if you insist. And I’ll take it not because I know how good it will be, but because I don’t, all subject, of course, to machining...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

What is 15V good at? This thread has named both Shaman and Chaparral as candidates, which confuses me.