$300 Taiwan Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Re: $300 Taiwan Spyderco?

Post by Tims »

BigGrove wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:16 pm
Tims wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Yep. Because these Chinese manufacturers have realized when they produce a superior product the market will accept high prices.
Fixed that for you...
I agree, thanks.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Tims wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Tims wrote:
Yep. Because these Chinese manufacturers have realized when they produce a superior product the market will accept high prices.
Fixed that for you...
I agree, thanks.
I also think the chinese have worked out that you can make 2 cents on a million items but you can also make
$10 on 2000 items and make the same money for similar effort. So increasing sales of the $10 item has a bigger
effect.

It's certainly interesting dealing with the Chinese.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Tims

Post by Tims »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:36 pm
Tims wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Tims wrote:
Fixed that for you...
I agree, thanks.
I also think the chinese have worked out that you can make 2 cents on a million items but you can also make
$10 on 2000 items and make the same money for similar effort. So increasing sales of the $10 item has a bigger
effect.

It's certainly interesting dealing with the Chinese.
Spot on
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Once you get into the $300 range, knife options really start to open up for VERY nice options. In my opinion, I can get a much better knife with superior steel. Pass.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
ferider

Post by ferider »

While the Spyderco Subvert is not for me, I just want to say that Taiwan and Mainland China are about as different as the US and Cuba.

Employment costs and benefits, IP security, freedom of speech, tariffs, etc.

And it shows in the Taiwan Spydercos that I have, 100 Pacer, K2, Gayle Bradley, etc. Note how many of the Taiwan Spydercos have steel very hard to find in China mainland knives made by any brand.

Just saying.

Roland.
benisben25

Post by benisben25 »

bouhunter wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:18 pm
And that Paysan at 500.00+ - seriously? I find it hard to believe they'll sell many of those.
When you look at the prices of a Peter Rassenti custom,it’s an absolute bargain.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ferider wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm
While the Spyderco Subvert is not for me, I just want to say that Taiwan and Mainland China are about as different as the US and Cuba.

Employment costs and benefits, IP security, freedom of speech, tariffs, etc.

And it shows in the Taiwan Spydercos that I have, 100 Pacer, K2, Gayle Bradley, etc. Note how many of the Taiwan Spydercos have steel very hard to find in China mainland knives made by any brand.

Just saying.

Roland.
This is VERY true. I've noticed that many people on forums do not or cannot distinguish between Taiwan and mainland China. I lived in Taiwan for close to a decade. It is NOT the same as mainland China. And yes, the steels used in the knives made in Taichung, Taiwan have many different steels compared to mainland China. Not to mention there have been some examples of China-made knives using steels other than what is stamped on the blade. In the Taichung models, there is no doubt what steels you are getting.

Jim
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m ALL over this one!! Got to handle it at the OKCA show this year and I loved it! Darn thing nearly chopped one of my fingers off closing it, it was that smooth (and that big blade gets a lot of momentum going)! Probably not something that the Spyderco crew would like to happen at their lovely prototype table! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:21 pm
If you think the Subvert is pricey (it is) take a look at the Paysan.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP238T ... ium-handle
*Spits drink out of mouth and nose*

WOH...

It's not about the quality China or Taiwan is capable of, im aware and deal with them in other industries. I've also owned several Chinese Spyderco.

My thought is that the supposed savings of having a knife made there seems to be getting lost along the way to the consumer.

One need only glance around AliExpress for a few minutes to see the absolutely insane level of top tier quality knives available for under $50-$100.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Tims wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:47 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm
Tims wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:43 pm
I’ve got a few titanium framelock flippers that are collaborations, manufactured by WE knives, so made in China not Taiwan.
But, they were under 150 USD and the quality is outstanding. Faultless.
In the end though, it is what it is. Prices don’t necessarily reflect manufacturing costs. It’s best to look at knives like this as art, then the price starts to make sense.
The higher price also creates an exclusivity that raises the perceived value of a model.
I believe Sal has said the exchange rate and other factors enable them to produce a knife in China for 1/6th the cost of making it in the US. For example, if the Cara Cara 2 in G10 costs Spyderco $20 to make and they sell for $30, a US made Cara Cara might cost $120 to make and sell for $180.

Would you have purchased that WE knife if it were made in the US and sold for $500-600?
I wouldn’t spend 500-600 on a knife period. But the WE knife would fetch that much if it was consistent with what the rest of the market was doing. If every manufacturer was charging similar $$ for similar quality.

If that knife was marketed to be ‘exclusive’, ie low production number, higher price, made in the US, you can bet people would pay the big bucks and wouldn’t be disappointed with the quality.

I don’t take it too seriously. Nobody owes me anything, especially not a knife at a certain price point. If I want it and can afford it, I buy it. If I deem the price too high, I move on.
I have struggled mightily to keep up with interesting releases from several manufacturers. I don't let price dictate what I will or will not buy. If it's of interest I save for it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm
What is the problem with a $300 Taiwan Spyderco? Does somebody have a problem with a $300 Taiwan Spyderco?
Not at all.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Anyone in the know willing to hint at when these will drop? I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is or wherever I have to put the money so that I get this knife in my hand.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Blueboost wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:06 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:21 pm
If you think the Subvert is pricey (it is) take a look at the Paysan.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP238T ... ium-handle
*Spits drink out of mouth and nose*

WOH...

It's not about the quality China or Taiwan is capable of, im aware and deal with them in other industries. I've also owned several Chinese Spyderco.

My thought is that the supposed savings of having a knife made there seems to be getting lost along the way to the consumer.

One need only glance around AliExpress for a few minutes to see the absolutely insane level of top tier quality knives available for under $50-$100.
OK, I am "stunned" too by the Paysan, but I will just leave it at that.

But once again we have Taiwan and mainland China confused. I am not aware of any savings by having knives made in Taiwan, so I don't know what you are talking about. The knives from Taiwan have always been both at the same price point, and believe it or not at equal or higher quality as knives made here in the USA. Maybe if this keeps being said on this forum, the message will get through. Taiwan is not China.

Actually, given some of the information in this thread, the knives from Taiwan are at a higher price point that USA made knives, and I am confident at a quality to match given my experience with Spydercos from Taiwan.

AliExpress is a whole very different can of worms. Just for the heck of it I bought a couple of spyderco PM2 on AliExpress for under $20 each. I knew they were counterfeits from the start. They are terrible knives, one is even unsafe and won't lock reliably. I keep them as curiosities and will not release them into the wild. But let us be clear. AliExpress is a diverse collection of stuff from mainland China. You won't find anything there from Taiwan, or at least I would be terribly shocked if you did. I buy stuff there with great care, but only things that are up front about being manufactured in China. Mostly electronic board level products (a different hobby), and I get first class stuff from specific sellers. As for "top tier" knives on AliExpress - Caveat Emptor!!