Left handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NickoP

Left handed

Post by NickoP »

Hello. My first post. I am not particularly familiar with Spyderco, although I have owned a Spyderench for approximately 15 years.
This week I bought a Paramilitary 2 left handed model, which I very much like. Already I have been browsing for another, hoping to find a left handed version in premium materials. However it seems this G10 S30V model is the only one I can find as a left handed version.

Do sprint runs ever include left handed versions of the PM2 (or any other knife for that matter) ? I'm guessing the answer is No, or I would have found something by now.

In the absence of more left handed options I might try an ambidextrous / neutral handed model, probably with a back lock.

-Nick.
PM2 S30V (left hand), Manix 2 S110V, Native 5 S110V, UKPK HH S30V, Matriarch 2 Emerson VG-10, Spidie Tool,
Benchmade Contego 810 M4, Griptilian 550BK-1 20CV, Cold Steel AD-10, AD-15, Kizer Sheepdog (left), Megatherium (left), CRK Sebenza 21 (left), Gavko Thresher (left).
vivi

Re: Left handed

Post by vivi »

You could try looking at Manix 2 sprints, its a similar size to your Para 2.
:unicorn
ferider

Post by ferider »

Is it difficult to close a right-handed PM with your left hand ? I'm right-handed, but it's easy to flick and close my PMs with the other hand .... and the clip can be put on both sides. Just wondering.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You'll have better luck finding sprints/fancy steels in models with ambidextrous lock designs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

A lefty can use a right handed PM2 by "re-training" to activate the lock with the thumb, rather than the forefinger.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm a lefty and have no trouble with the right handed compression locks. The only possible drawback I see is that, when closing the knife one-handed and depressing the lock with your thumb, the grip on the knife may not be quite as secure if you keep your fingers totally out of the path of the blade. If you close it that way, you could possible drop the knife. But I usually just go ahead and grip the knife with my with lower 3 fingers around it, release the lock with my thumb, catching the choil with my middle finger and pulling the blade around with my thumb. This does make it sort of two step operation similar to closing backlocks, but it becomes second nature after a few repetitions. Personally I prefer this over backlock knives.

By a similar token ;) I solve the one-hand closing problem with all my linerlocks and RIL locks by just depressing the lock with my left index fingertip instead of my right thumb (middle fingertip works best with my RIL Militaries). This might not work with some designs, so you might want to try them before buying.

But my favorites are Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL, because of knife design more than lock type, though the Police 4 and Millie are neck in neck with them. And the Manix cage ball lock nudges the others out as my favorite lock.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

ferider wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Is it difficult to close a right-handed PM with your left hand ? I'm right-handed, but it's easy to flick and close my PMs with the other hand .... and the clip can be put on both sides. Just wondering.
Try some liner- and frame-locks. Also, swap the clip on your regular, right-handed knife to left-hand carry but carry it in your right-hand pocket. :D
ferider

Post by ferider »

sinnyc wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:54 pm
ferider wrote:
Try some liner- and frame-locks. Also, swap the clip on your regular, right-handed knife to left-hand carry but carry it in your right-hand pocket. :D
Since you obviously know what you are talking about, and the PM2 clip position is ambidextrous, why don't you answer my question about the compression lock in the wrong hand ?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi NickoP,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

ferider wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm
sinnyc wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:54 pm
ferider wrote:
Since you obviously know what you are talking about, and the PM2 clip position is ambidextrous, why don't you answer my question about the compression lock in the wrong hand ?
Your response seems a little peremptory - are you a bit miffed about something? My point in suggesting you try some different locks is to give you an idea of what lefties deal with the majority of the time. That is, knives that are made for right-handed manipulation and carry, sometimes exclusively such as when a knife has no option to swap the clip and to carry it lefty would mean carrying it with the blade facing into the main, open part of the pocket as opposed to the back of the pocket.

Anyway, here's your answer: I don't know.

I have right- and left-handed versions of the PM2, several Para 3's, a Shaman, and a Sliverax and I've always found the compression lock to be awkward and annoying regardless of which hand I use on which model knife. In order of preference, I like Axis-style, left-hand frame/liner, back, right-hand frame/liner, and compression locks. I guess Opinel twist collar locks would be next.

A significant majority of my knives are right handed; a decent subset are ambidextrous; and I have a few left-handed knives including a couple of semi-custom (mid-tech? ugh, annoying term) like Sebenzas that are lefty frame locks. The left-hand specific knives are wonderful but, honestly, I prefer ambidextrous knives like the Manix.

TL;DR I find compression locks to be irritating, period.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Not miffed at all, but I have been really seriously curious ....

First, I'm going back and forth on the compression lock ... I have quite a few PM2, and they are very nice to play with, in the office and such, open some boxes, cut some food, etc. However, in hard use, the PM2 actually bugs my hand (web between thumb and index finger; at pressures, when - say - Military and Manix are a still very much fun to use).

Second, I get the left-handed Military, but have always wondered why make an - ever so slightly asymmetrical PM2 blade, at the cost of not being able to use all these steels the PM2 comes with, exactly what the OP is asking.

My current favorite among my 50+ knives is my 4V Manix 2, in case you wonder :).

Thanks much for the answer.

Roland.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

ferider wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 pm
Not miffed at all, but I have been really seriously curious ....

First, I'm going back and forth on the compression lock ... I have quite a few PM2, and they are very nice to play with, in the office and such, open some boxes, cut some food, etc. However, in hard use, the PM2 actually bugs my hand (web between thumb and index finger; at pressures, when - say - Military and Manix are a still very much fun to use).

Second, I get the left-handed Military, but have always wondered why make an - ever so slightly asymmetrical PM2 blade, at the cost of not being able to use all these steels the PM2 comes with, exactly what the OP is asking.

My current favorite among my 50+ knives is my 4V Manix 2, in case you wonder :).

Thanks much for the answer.

Roland.
Then I beg your pardon for reading tone into text.

I think I understand what you mean about the grip on the PM2 but it doesn't really bother me. As for the OP's question, my only answer is that, as a lefty, I'll take what I can get.

As a side note, I've been carrying my Manix in M4 quite a lot in the last few months. I love the Manix, too. In fact, it's my all time favorite and 4V is one of the few steels I don't have it in. Jealous!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Lefty here too. I’ve yet to come across a lock I couldn’t operate left handed. I do however like the idea of left handed locks, just because. I’ve got a pair lefty Sebenzas, large and small, and custom lefty Smock SK23. Ambi locks are nice too. I was totally on board and planning on picking up a lefty PM2 when they released a Cruwear PM2! Well Cruwear easily trumps handedness so I got the Cruwear. If they were to have put out a Lefty Cruwear, I would have that one for sure.
Backlocks are fine but the Manix2 is a great knife with a great lock and guess what steel mine is in, yup Cruwear!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sold my cruwear pm2 and bought two lefties when they came out. Have a cruwear Manix. :)

I can operate pretty much any lock with either hand, but will absolutely take a left-handed or ambi one whenever available. The Sliverax is probably the only righty model I actually carry anymore.
:spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was surprised when they introduced a left handed Para 2. I've always considered it an ambidextrous lock.

When I close a standard Para 2 right handed, I depress the lock release with my index finger, and swing the blade shut using my thumb in the spyderhole.

Same knife lefty, I depress the lock with my thumb and nudge the blade about 1/8th the way closed with my index finger, then finish the closing motion with my thumb, allowing my other fingers to stay out of the way:

https://streamable.com/ncy7u - Demonstrating both methods with my Szabo folder. Note this knife has very stiff action compared to a typical compression lock due to an internal spring which provides a self close like a lockback.

I have a lot more difficulty with frame locks and liner locks operated lefty. Those I usually set down until my right hand is free to close them.

Either way it's really commendable that Spyderco offers the Millie and Para 2 in left handed variants.

On a side note, I don't recall the last time I carried this knife. Going to have to kick the P4 out of my pocket for a day :)
:unicorn
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

When I handle my friend’s compression lock (Para2), I always close it like a backlock. Release the lock with thumb, guide the blade close with index finger in the hole. Both hands, I find it easy ;)

I don’t like asymmetrical handle, so I stay with lockbacks. The only liner lock remaining is a GB (no release cutout, at least from outside it’s symmetrical).
Chris :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:41 pm
I have a lot more difficulty with frame locks and liner locks operated lefty. Those I usually set down until my right hand is free to close them.

Try pushing in the liner or frame lock with the tip of your left index finger, or middle finger with millies. It's easier than you'd think, especially if you have a little un-gnawed fingernail. The blade or choil drops safely onto the back of your nail with knives like the Tenacious or Millie. But this won't work with knives like the Gayle Bradley with it's almost hidden lock or Sage 2 with a small lock opening and handle too short to give you much leverage.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a lot of us can make the argument that, as a righty, we can operate right handed locks with our left hand and so why can't a lefty? The issue isn't always ability, it's simply having to adapt in the first place. Put yourself in their shoes and imagine a world where all the locks were left handed and you were the one adapting.

That said, I just don't see many companies making dedicated mirrored left handed locks because by the numbers there just isn't as much demand. I think you're FAR more likely to see full ambidextrous locks before you see a rush of lefty only locks. It's just a safer business choice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another lefty here. I can work with pretty much any right-handed knife, as long as it carries wel in a left-handed spot. Some knives have angles the work great when carried in a right-side pocket, not so much in a left-side pocket. One of the reasons I like Spyderco so much is their attention to ambi- and left-handed users. The compression lock, to me, has always been an ambi lock, but I prefer the lockbacks best. The Stretch, Delica, Native and Caly designs are some of my favorites.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Nate wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:32 pm
Sold my cruwear pm2 and bought two lefties when they came out. Have a cruwear Manix. :)

I can operate pretty much any lock with either hand, but will absolutely take a left-handed or ambi one whenever available. The Sliverax is probably the only righty model I actually carry anymore.
I’ve got a CW Manix 2 as well! It was my first Spydie. Also a slipjoint in us2000 which is pretty much Cruwear. Imo it’s the perfect knife steel, almost stainless, tough, wear resistant yet easy to touch up and sharpen.

As long as I have a left carry option I’m good with any lock type or orientation but it is nice to have lefty specific stuff.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?