Left handed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Left handed

Post by Nate »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:30 pm

I’ve got a CW Manix 2 as well! It was my first Spydie. Also a slipjoint in us2000 which is pretty much Cruwear. Imo it’s the perfect knife steel, almost stainless, tough, wear resistant yet easy to touch up and sharpen.

My Cruwear Manix has some history you can read about here if you're interested. Still feel like I owe Evil D for the fantastic job he did with it. Basically made it a new knife.
:spyder:
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

As a lefty, I am among those who can learn to operate a right-handed lock. My complaint is about clip position. I carry a couple different right-handed Militaries and the opening/closing is not as much an issue as is their single mode for the pocket clip.
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

I'd buy a regular exclusive or Sprint and bladeswap the premium blade onto the left handed version
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DBCOOPER

Post by DBCOOPER »

And I just thought about that and it wouldn't work lol ^^^^
Forget that haha
I came here to cut sh#$ with my knives and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Lost Jaguar wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:50 am
As a lefty, I am among those who can learn to operate a right-handed lock. My complaint is about clip position. I carry a couple different right-handed Militaries and the opening/closing is not as much an issue as is their single mode for the pocket clip.
I agree. I sort of get around it by trying to remember to put the notch of my thumb and forefinger on the back top of the Military as I draw it out of my left pocket, slipping my thumb into the pocket alongside the knife. Then the thumb is in position to open the blade as you pull it out, or the knife can be rotated a bit and the blade flipped out with the middle fingertip. This would be fine if I carried the Millie all the time, but I switch knives a lot.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The great thing about Spyderco knives is the spydihole that allows right and left handed people to open them:) I’m left handed and my favorite Spyderco is the Mili....super easy to use left handed. Same goes for the Shaman and PM2, just have to play with them for a while. Benchmades are nice for lefties because of the Axis lock, so maybe that’s an option for yea?
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I can deal with right handed frame and liner locks, but occluded Spyderholes mean I won't buy the knife. That's saved me a lot of money.
C99c

Post by C99c »

Does anyone else who is right handed actually prefer the lefty model Para 2?

I'm a bit of an oddball in the fact that I don't really like the Para 2 that much to begin with, but in the past I have owned several of them and the lefty model was by far my favorite to use normally and I liked the righty models when using with my left hand.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Is the actual blade the same on the left-handed PM2 as the right-handed PM2 or does it differ slightly?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Crux wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:40 pm
Is the actual blade the same on the left-handed PM2 as the right-handed PM2 or does it differ slightly?
They differ slightly, so it's not possible to just switch blades. The slot at the back of the tang slants up slightly to fit the lock lever... or whatever it's called by knife experts :rolleyes:
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

As a lefty (with an injured right hand) I use the standard compression lock fine left handed. I am ok with both para3 and pm2 in standard form... I just press the lock with my thumb instead of the forefinger a righty would use. Since the clip is reversible no big deal.
But... The irony is despite being a lefty I'd always used a knife with my right hand. All my life. After several decades had to relearn how to do it lefty. That was a pain. So was discovering that all of a sudden certain things didn't work.
The military is a bit diff since it only comes right hand pivot up. Unless you buy the lefty one. But... tip up, a righty military comes out of the pocket such that i can easily open it with my left thumb. And the handle is long enuff I don't have a problem closing the liner locks one handed.
Of course the backlocks are most ambidextrous of the bunch as a locktype in that they are completely the same either side...

At least spyderco does offer some left handed versions honestly I'd never heard of that before this year...

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
NickoP

Post by NickoP »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Since my original post I have bought a few ambidextrous models; S110V Manix 2 & Native 5, and for variety a 20CV Griptilian 550BK-1 (the one with the Spydiehole !). I have a left handed Sebenza on order (35 weeks ETA !), and a left handed Massdrop Gavko Thresher waiting at the local post office.
There aren't exactly many shops here in the UK where I could walk in and try a few right handed models to see how I get on with them, and I'm not particularly comfortable ordering something knowing I'm half likely to send it back.
I'm not extremely left handed (I am reasonably dextrous with my right hand) but I have decided to limit my collecting to left handed models, for now at anyway, partly on principle, the challenge, and partly so I don't buy 100+ knives this year :-) I wish Spyderco would offer a few more left hand options, although I think they offer as many as any other manufacturer. I also realise I'm in the 10% minority. I'll buy a left handed Military when I find one in stock somewhere in UK.
PM2 S30V (left hand), Manix 2 S110V, Native 5 S110V, UKPK HH S30V, Matriarch 2 Emerson VG-10, Spidie Tool,
Benchmade Contego 810 M4, Griptilian 550BK-1 20CV, Cold Steel AD-10, AD-15, Kizer Sheepdog (left), Megatherium (left), CRK Sebenza 21 (left), Gavko Thresher (left).
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I wish they would do a lefty military in some special steel or sprint.

I can use my compression lock knives left handed but there are a few like the military that just won't work unless you get a dedicated left hand model.

Spyderco does do a pretty good job overall think of us lefties though.