Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm still testing this material. The new stability focused protocol at 64rc continues to please me. I'll share more when the time comes.

Larrin will release a new article this Monday that has great pictures of the microstructure of CPM 15v and some other steels that I sent him as well as others he purchased on his own (42 in Total, good work Larrin, Wow)
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:14 pm
I'm still testing this material. The new stability focused protocol at 64rc continues to please me. I'll share more when the time comes.

Larrin will release a new article this Monday that has great pictures of the microstructure of CPM 15v and some other steels that I sent him as well as others he purchased on his own (42 in Total, good work Larrin, Wow)

Looking forward to hearing about it Shawn!

Larrin's work is incredible. Those micrographs are fascinating!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Shawn,

How's that design coming?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The more I learn about 15v the more I want to try a blade in it. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Shawn, you guys have any idea what kind of corrosion resistance to expect from 15v?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's heavy on the Carbon and Vanadium light on the chromium. I'm thinking corrosion resistance wont be that great. Not sure though, just an educated guess.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks for the chart zrows, I was kind of thinking the same after looking at the composition. I was just curious how it might compare to some other “non-stainless” steels. Like more or less stainless than m4? I imagine Shawn will have an idea about corrosion performance by now. If not, I might have to get a piece and do a little of my own testing. :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:59 pm
Thanks for the chart zrows, I was kind of thinking the same after looking at the composition. I was just curious how it might compare to some other “non-stainless” steels. Like more or less stainless than m4? I imagine Shawn will have an idea about corrosion performance by now. If not, I might have to get a piece and do a little of my own testing. :)
Hard to say. Im sure Shawn will have a better idea.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Not as reactive as 52100 but not as resistant as cruwear/3v is a good ball park.

It will definitely rust, would need to test to see if it's closer to 4v/m4 or Cruwear/3v

The stability focused HT for 15v should in theory be less reactive with more Cr in solution and less Cr tied up in Carbides rather than the spec sheet HT which is more focused on industrial parts not for knives.
(Makes since, 15v was never made for knives but a very niche industrial use for parts that demand more wear resistance than 10v without upgrading to more brittle, harder, more wear resistant solid tungsten carbide cobalt metals)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:13 am
Hey Shawn,

How's that design coming?

sal
Little by little, sent an email.

Shawn
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

This is a chart from Larrin's really cool corrison resistance article here
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/01/14/ ... esistance/

Top of the list is highest corrison resistance for the given steels, bottom is most prone to rusting.

The 15v in between A2 and k390 on the chart
Last edited by Deadboxhero on Tue May 28, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love how the P4 makes everything else seem smaller.

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

0.009"behind the edge/shoulder (BTE) of the secondary bevel at~15 degrees per side (DPS) freehand on a 800 grit Naniwa Resin Diamond stone,

Opened a can of food. With any steel at this thin of a cutting geometry that is asking for trouble let alone 23%carbide volume at 64rc. This is abuse, a good knife should not be used to do this but we can see the limits of things when we break them.

From my experience, 8cr13mov seems to blunt down with flat spots on the edge with a cutting geometry at 0.020" bte and 15dps and s110v at similar geometry and with the standard spec sheet HT seems prone to chipping when used like this.

I was surprised to see no chipping, just some deformity in one are with this steel, geometry and hardness.

This is a good indicator to increase the hardness beyond 64rc with a reduced tempering temperature.
65-66rc should be reasonable but it will be more difficult to grind since the matrix will hold on to those carbides better.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dang man. Puttin that knife to work!

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Impressive! :cool:

Love your work Shawn. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm
0.009"behind the edge/shoulder (BTE) of the secondary bevel at~15 degrees per side (DPS) freehand on a 800 grit Naniwa Resin Diamond stone,

Opened a can of food. With any steel at this thin of a cutting geometry that is asking for trouble let alone 23%carbide volume at 64rc. This is abuse, a good knife should not be used to do this but we can see the limits of things when we break them.

From my experience, 8cr13mov seems to blunt down with flat spots on the edge with a cutting geometry at 0.020" bte and 15dps and s110v at similar geometry and with the standard spec sheet HT seems prone to chipping when used like this.

I was surprised to see no chipping, just some deformity in one are with this steel, geometry and hardness.

This is a good indicator to increase the hardness beyond 64rc with a reduced tempering temperature.
65-66rc should be reasonable but it will be more difficult to grind since the matrix will hold on to those carbides better.
Hahaha! That’s how we opened our food while camping back in the day. It was interesting even then to note which steels from which makers would chip, role, or remain unfazed in those long gone days.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:08 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Hahaha! That’s how we opened our food while camping back in the day. It was interesting even then to note which steels from which makers would chip, role, or remain unfazed in those long gone days.
Haha I just use it as a gauge to see what's going on. I wouldn't acutually use it to open a can when finished. I'm excited to see what happens when the steel is ran harder. harder
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Cutting out a batch to HT

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
p_atrick