Spyderco Factory resharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:57 pm

I may sell my PM2 S110V on eBay. I’m in no rush so I’d like to have it factory sharpened by spyderco before I list it to achieve the most out of a used knife.

How do I go about sending it to them?

How long did it take?
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 5648
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Vivi » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:35 pm

I think the cost of shipping the knife back and forth (Roughly $12) would negate any extra money you'd get from the sale.

I believe it takes a couple of weeks, but I've never used this service myself.

Regardless, here is the info you seek:

✓ If your knife requires other services or you have any questions concerning the repair process, please contact us directly:
Toll free: 800-525-7770 X255
Phone: 303-279-8383 X255
E-mail: customerservice@spyderco.com

(Include $5 for return shipping as well)

Military ruin your love of the Para 2?

I used to love the Para 2 but decided bigger knives are more my style.

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Tucson Tom » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 pm

I thought you were getting to be a pretty accomplished sharpener in your own right?
With fancy state of the art gear!

List it as lightly used and lovingly sharpened on my wicked edge -- or some such.
Honesty and full disclosure does the trick on Ebay.

CXXX
Member
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby CXXX » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 am

When I was at SFO for a visit the offered to sharpen my EDC...they proceeded to sharpen it by hand on a Sharpmaker right in the showroom. So you better check how they will "factory sharpen" your knife. It may not be like the manufacturing sharpening for new production knives. In videos I have seen of production the blades are sharpened before assembly; either by a robot or belt sharpened by hand.

Joey
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am

That’s actually pretty frustrating to hear. I’d be upset too if they did that to me without offering the option.

Can anyone send some pictures of a new edge put on their knife by Spyderco? I’ve always been curious to see one.

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:35 pm
I think the cost of shipping the knife back and forth (Roughly $12) would negate any extra money you'd get from the sale.

I believe it takes a couple of weeks, but I've never used this service myself.

Regardless, here is the info you seek:

✓ If your knife requires other services or you have any questions concerning the repair process, please contact us directly:
Toll free: 800-525-7770 X255
Phone: 303-279-8383 X255
E-mail: customerservice@spyderco.com

(Include $5 for return shipping as well)

Military ruin your love of the Para 2?

I used to love the Para 2 but decided bigger knives are more my style.
Yea the love for my PM2 has kinda faded. Which is hard to believe, because the Compression lock is great. The Military is just much better. Slicing, cutting, all around.
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 am

CXXX wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 am
When I was at SFO for a visit the offered to sharpen my EDC...they proceeded to sharpen it by hand on a Sharpmaker right in the showroom. So you better check how they will "factory sharpen" your knife. It may not be like the manufacturing sharpening for new production knives. In videos I have seen of production the blades are sharpened before assembly; either by a robot or belt sharpened by hand.
I highly doubt Spyderco would be reprofiling and sharpening S110V back to factory on a sharpmaker haha. It is done by machine. I think they just may have offered you a touch up.

Besides, a Sharpmaker cannot recreate those markings on the edge.
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am

Joey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am
That’s actually pretty frustrating to hear. I’d be upset too if they did that to me without offering the option.

Can anyone send some pictures of a new edge put on their knife by Spyderco? I’ve always been curious to see one.
I saw one on ebay. The knife sold for like $152 used as a “Factory resharpen” It looked Factory new. I can get my edges exactly like it, but there are these tooling marks left behind from the robotic machine they look quite cool!
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 am

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 pm
I thought you were getting to be a pretty accomplished sharpener in your own right?
With fancy state of the art gear!

List it as lightly used and lovingly sharpened on my wicked edge -- or some such.
Honesty and full disclosure does the trick on Ebay.
Yea I think that’s probably what I’ll end up doing.
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

freebird610
Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:13 am

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby freebird610 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:53 am

I've never heard anything good about spyderco resharpening. I have heard they will remove quite a bit of blade. If I were you I would just sell as is or sharpen yourself.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20028
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Evil D » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am
Joey wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am
That’s actually pretty frustrating to hear. I’d be upset too if they did that to me without offering the option.

Can anyone send some pictures of a new edge put on their knife by Spyderco? I’ve always been curious to see one.
I saw one on ebay. The knife sold for like $152 used as a “Factory resharpen” It looked Factory new. I can get my edges exactly like it, but there are these tooling marks left behind from the robotic machine they look quite cool!

So are you trying to sell the knife as new or "newer" than it is? I don't understand the point of this if not for that reason. If you're able to put a good even bevel on it then just do that and be honest about what the knife is. In the end whoever buys it will know what they're getting and it'll have more life left in it than if a whole new bevel were ground in for no good reason. There's no getting around the fact that it's a user now.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Joey
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:49 pm

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:46 am
I saw one on ebay. The knife sold for like $152 used as a “Factory resharpen” It looked Factory new. I can get my edges exactly like it, but there are these tooling marks left behind from the robotic machine they look quite cool!
I’d be upset about tooling marks, and I’d also be upset if I paid anywhere near $150 for a used blurple PM2. I think whoever bought that knife paid way too much, since a new one can be found for $130-$140 with a tiny bit of patience. I’d suggest you sharpen the PM2 yourself (I agree with TucsonTom) because you seem to be able to make a nice edge with what you’ve learned so far, and the tools you have. Put it up for $130 or so and make someone happy. You seemed to have gotten plenty of use out of it so far, so what’s $20 to you?

Joey
Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Joey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:41 pm
So are you trying to sell the knife as new or "newer" than it is? I don't understand the point of this if not for that reason. There's no getting around the fact that it's a user now.
^^^ very good points!

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby 500Nitro » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:02 pm

As a buyer of used knives, I'd sell it as is or with a touch up.

as long as the blade isn't butchered/over worn it seems buyers don't mind a good user that's been looked after.

Just take good photos so people can see, unlike one seller where they were blurred because (I think) he was trying to hide a worn rusty knife.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:36 pm

I just touched it up. Here’s a few shots. I’m not trying to make anything new guys. I just thought having a knife “Factory sharpened” was the right thing to do. I saw a few on eBay like that. But, I’ll sell it like this with my own edge on there no problems haha

The knife has seen good usage. Fortunately, it functions like new. Center blade, absolutely no blade play and it is super smooth.

13.95 degrees, W/ 20.00 degree micro bevel. Stropped at 12.95, and 19.00. Very sharp.

I think I might sell it on a forum. We shall see.

How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby 500Nitro » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm

TPS

"How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha."

Yep, as a buyer of used knives, with those photos looks very good / fine to me.

Better than this photo below of someone trying to flog a rusty, worn knife lol. I asked for more/better photos, they weren't nearly as good as yours! (He also said he might send it back to the factory)
Attachments
IMG_5794.JPG
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby tps3443 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:52 pm

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm
TPS

"How’s it look? Honest enough? Haha."

Yep, as a buyer of used knives, with those photos looks very good / fine to me.

Better than this photo below of someone trying to flog a rusty, worn knife lol. I asked for more/better photos, they weren't nearly as good as yours! (He also said he might send it back to the factory)
What in the hell is that? HAha. Is that a stretch? I can’t even tell. Beautiful photograph.
“My daily razor blade”
Spyderco PM2 DLC/BLK S30V
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5192
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Spydergirl88 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Looks like a Catcherman?
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby 500Nitro » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:59 pm

A Spyderco catcherman Serrated!

Well worn and rusted. I'll try to post original full photo and the replacement photo.

Correct Spydergirl88
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 20028
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco Factory resharpening

Postby Evil D » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Maybe I'm full of myself but if I'm selling a used knife that I've sharpened and put a bevel on myself, I consider that a selling point over the factory edge. I don't mean to sound like I'm calling you out or anything, I just honestly can't see any positive selling point of putting a "factory" bevel on a used knife unless it were to use that as a selling point so you could say "factory bevel/sharpened/etc" as a way of suggesting the knife is newer than it is. Something like that is really more valuable to collectors anyway, so if I were selling a used knife I would consider my own reporfile/sharpening job as a positive selling point over a factory bevel, as I've already done the work of sharpening past any burned steel from the machine sharpening and edge retention will likely be better as a result. Depending on the knife and bevel I would even consider applying a bevel angle of the buyer's choice and using that as a selling point.

Anyway, I hope I didn't come off as a prick, the whole idea just sounded fishy. If that wasn't your goal then I'm glad to be wrong.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cscottsss, Enactive, mpgtsm, VWTattoo, Wartstein, wolfstyle, zhyla and 37 guests