CTSBD1 stainless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: CTSBD1 stainless?

Post by vivi »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm
4 days in the pocket and the rust is back, and its not from something i cut because I didn't use it.
In my other pocket i carried 3 knives, of the 4 knives i carried only 1 didnt rust, and that was the pacific salt..
Brand New delica vg 10 developed tiny rustspots and a d2 blade larger ones.. I dont blame the steel, but my sweaty pockets.
So i guess 4 days(hectic 12-14 hours a day) in the pocket of my workpants Will challenge a lot of steels :)
I think an upgrade to lc200n is in order, but i have to wait until 2019, i dont think my accountant Will let me write off more knives This year ;).
Again, the rusting is no problem and easy to fix, and it gives me an excuse to buy more knives.
If spyderco wants to do some corrosion testing, my left pocket is at your disposal.
😂
Haha, sounds like my experience. I rust liners, lock mechanisms, stop pins and clips too.

You should try a DLC Manix. Mine has never developed any rust anywhere, and I'll carry it in the summer. One of the few non-salt knives I'll do that with.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Dang what do you guys eat/drink? Sounds like ya'll sweat battery acid.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 pm
4 days in the pocket and the rust is back, and its not from something i cut because I didn't use it.
In my other pocket i carried 3 knives, of the 4 knives i carried only 1 didnt rust, and that was the pacific salt..
Brand New delica vg 10 developed tiny rustspots and a d2 blade larger ones.. I dont blame the steel, but my sweaty pockets.
So i guess 4 days(hectic 12-14 hours a day) in the pocket of my workpants Will challenge a lot of steels :)
I think an upgrade to lc200n is in order, but i have to wait until 2019, i dont think my accountant Will let me write off more knives This year ;).
Again, the rusting is no problem and easy to fix, and it gives me an excuse to buy more knives.
If spyderco wants to do some corrosion testing, my left pocket is at your disposal.
😂
i hope you don't mind me asking but.. how often do you wash your pants?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Once or twice per week, depends on how dirty They get.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I have similar problem occasionally. Usually semi stainless (ZDP, HAP 40, or M4) rusted or once pitted. Even VG10 gets discolored (but not rusted). Worst part is between liner & scales.

Sweat it is :(
Chris :spyder:
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:40 am
Once or twice per week, depends on how dirty They get.
salt crusts could accumulate in clothing especially if you're always sweating but evaporates leaving salty crystals which eventually get into the stuff you're putting in your pocket. maybe this could be causing it.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I wonder if the blade finish factors in. I've had a M2LW translucent blue in BD1 for many years. I live on Puget Sound and I've used this knife hard with very little maintenance. Never a speck of rust on this knife. This knife also has one of my favorite blade finishes. Sort of a polished stone wash with no vertical grain lines visible. I recently picked up a UKPK in BD1N and it has a very fine but visible vertical grain.