What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

0-10%
10%
11-20%
6%
21-30%
9%
31-40%
2%
41-50%
1%
51-60%
3%
61-70%
5%
71-80%
6%
81-90%
5%
91-100%
53%

Total votes: 120

Naperville

Re: What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Post by Naperville »

85 knives at a cost of ~$20,000 and they are all users, but not all have been used. They await use.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

All my knives, customs and Spydies, are users, even if they don't necessarily see regular use.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

I clicked 11-20% but there's a caveat. I regularly rotate among an ever-changing group of 10 or so knives. I buy some, I sell some, and I like the variety. Almost all the rest are either identical models in different steels or models that simply haven't made it into the rotation yet. So these are all knives I will use or would if the similar model I am currently using got lost, stolen, etc.

So for me, a better question is what percentage of your knives wouldn't you use. And for me, that's just a few - less than 5%.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

All of mine are users, which does not mean I use them all. I do have favorites, which, though they can change over time, keep me away from parts of my collection.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

No "in box, never used" knives here. I buy them to enjoy them, I enjoy them by using them. So 100 percent.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Aside from a new spare Endura in my truck that I have stashed and a salt or two that are just for emergencies. All in all they are 100 percent users.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Guess it depends how you define user. Of my edc appropriate knives most get carried and used often enough, but I don't actually need to do much cutting anymore. The big ones and fixed blades rarely come out anymore, they been used but can't really call them users at this point. I wouldn't have something that would never be used or carried though.
"Seven for One"
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I clicked11-20%
I have about 10 knives I use in random rotation....Mili, PM2,Tenacious and 7 other non Spydercos. I have a lot of the sprints and I don’t plan on using them just yet. Honestly, I can’t bring myself to use them because I like having them in mint condition. I personally don’t see the point in using every knife just to use them. I like having mint backups for later.
I Have also never bought a knife that I don’t like soo much that I need to sell it,so the collection just kinda grows.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I have a lot of knives I bought because they're neat, not because they're particularly useful. Or rather, they WOULD be useful, if I didn't have so many knives.

I'm not a Richy-Rich or anything. Most of them are cheapies. I just bought my first knife approaching $200 a week ago.

I don't feel bad about it either. Some of them are heirlooms; like the tiny knife that is shaped like an Italian Gondola that my granddad brought back from Italy, back in the day.

Or the Victorinox Economy Recruit he brought each of his grandsons in the middle 80s.

Or Dad's hunting knife from when he was a lad. (it's too big for the squirrels I shoot!)

So I voted 10%.

What I find funny is how often we say 'EDC'. The term started out to mean an item that a person carries EVERY DAY. Not something that gets a rotation once in awhile.

My EDC is just my wallet and phone. Watches and knives and multi-tools rotate. ;)
-Jeremy
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Smaug wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 pm
Or rather, they WOULD be useful, if I didn't have so many knives.
Ha! I got a laugh out of that comment. Well, I'm certainly not wearing any of my knives out in a big hurry given how many I rotate between carrying. But as for the definition of EDC -- I don't think it means one knife that you carry all the time. But what the heck does it mean? There are no particular knife laws in these parts, but maybe for some people "EDC" could mean "compliant with local knife laws". But I think for most people it just means a knife that is not awkward or inconvenient for daily carry. Maybe for some people an EDC could be a big fixed blade in a belt sheath.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

81-90% I have a lot of old knives in the collection I keep for sentimental reasons. 4 'safe queens'. The rest are in my rotation.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Smaug wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 pm
I have a lot of knives I bought because they're neat, not because they're particularly useful. Or rather, they WOULD be useful, if I didn't have so many knives.

I'm not a Richy-Rich or anything. Most of them are cheapies. I just bought my first knife approaching $200 a week ago.

I don't feel bad about it either. Some of them are heirlooms; like the tiny knife that is shaped like an Italian Gondola that my granddad brought back from Italy, back in the day.

Or the Victorinox Economy Recruit he brought each of his grandsons in the middle 80s.

Or Dad's hunting knife from when he was a lad. (it's too big for the squirrels I shoot!)

So I voted 10%.

What I find funny is how often we say 'EDC'. The term started out to mean an item that a person carries EVERY DAY. Not something that gets a rotation once in awhile.

My EDC is just my wallet and phone. Watches and knives and multi-tools rotate. ;)
At the risk of sounding pedantic, couldn't every day carry mean every day of the week, month, or year, rather than the rest of your life? :D

Most knives in my EDC rotation have had the distinction of being with me 365 days out of at least one year since I purchased them. I can say that about my Pacific Salt, Police, Tasman Salt, Micra, Vic Farmer and a few others.
:unicorn
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

100%
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

💯
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If you mean have I ever used the knife, then it would be around 90% or more. If you count used, then put away and not used anymore than it is around 30% or more. I'd love to say 100%, but I tend to fall back on a select few knives that I rotate through. Some I use, then retire due to sentimental reasons. Some I use, then realize I like another knife better so they get set to the side. Some I get, fiddle around with it, then realize I don't like it. Those tend to get traded/sold to fund other knives.
Shane77

Post by Shane77 »

I'm in the minority here... I have around 200 knives and only use around 10% of them. But I will grab different ones out now and then and retire some. None are really safe queens, just knives I haven't gotten to yet. And I have 4 boys and a daughter, so I'm hoping to pass them down to them as well.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 am
At the risk of sounding pedantic, couldn't every day carry mean every day of the week, month, or year, rather than the rest of your life? :D

Most knives in my EDC rotation have had the distinction of being with me 365 days out of at least one year since I purchased them. I can say that about my Pacific Salt, Police, Tasman Salt, Micra, Vic Farmer and a few others.
Maybe that's what it means now, but EDC USED to mean a select something that a person carried every day. If you're rotating, it isn't carried every day any more.
-Jeremy
Hank Scorpio

Post by Hank Scorpio »

All have been used, all eligible for future use (no retirees yet). Like others have mentioned, some obviously see more regular use than others. But using them is the best part of owning them, so I do.
Currently enjoying the most pocket time:
:spyder: Sage 5 FRN, Watu :spyder:
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

91-100%

I only own (2) there both used.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Mine that haven't been used are because I'm too lazy to sell them. Selling 4 delicas for their low prices just isn't worth it. The same goes for a couple extra dragonflies.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam