What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

0-10%
10%
11-20%
6%
21-30%
9%
31-40%
2%
41-50%
1%
51-60%
3%
61-70%
5%
71-80%
6%
81-90%
5%
91-100%
53%

Total votes: 120

zhyla

Re: What percent of your knife collection consists of users?

Post by zhyla »

Whole bunch of liars on this forum :). If you’ve got 20 knives I’m pretty sure there’s a few that don’t ever get carried.

All of mine could be carried but many aren’t. Part of this is merely aesthetics. The Positron is inferior as a knife to many of my knives, but it’s fun to hold and fidget with. My old Ambitious or Natives are fine knives but boring.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Every knife I’ve ever bought, I’ve used and sharpened as required. Any I didn’t like I’ve either gifted or misplaced and forgotten about and I find them looking for unrelated stuff. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t own any knives that have never been used but I do own a few that I don’t use anymore. I have a couple that are retired for sentimental reasons and i have a few that I don’t really care for. I have too many at this point so most are being neglected. I still consider them users but they aren’t all seeing use.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Reject

Post by Reject »

:o I am afraid I am a creature of habit. It has changed of the years, put usually only 4 in use over a certain period of time. At the moment it is the Chaparral TIP, Dragonfly, Pacific Salt and the Para 2, which would put it at about 0.5% of the collection currently in use.
How much can a Koala bear?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me it would depend a lot on how you define "users". All my Kitchen Sharps, almost all of my Kiwis, and most of my Stretches see at least occasional use as do one or more examples of at least a dozen other Spyderco models. For example, as I type this, in addition to a red bone Kiwi, there's a Centofante Memory, a left handed Dyad,, an orange Autonomy, and a CF Chaparral within reach on my computer desk. Still, to me, the knives in my display cases are also "users" in the sense that looking at them brings me the same type pleasure I get from looking at the M C Escher prints and Spyderco posters hanging on my walls.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'd normally go for 100%, but I have a few unused spares of discoed models that are still in their boxes.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

About 90% of my knives have been used at some point but only about 30% of them I would regard as in the rotation.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I will not buy a knife that I don't intend on using. That said, I've developed favorites that see a lot more carry time than others.. but I do try to circulate each of my knives into the carry rotation. The problem is, my collection has grown to the point where many of my knives may sit my Spyderpack for weeks at a time, and then I feel bad for NOT using them!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I've been trying to limit the growth of my collection but now I'm wondering if it's really possible. I have mostly users but with a total EDC rotation of 30 knives across all brands, no single knife is getting a lot of use. I have some knives that are NIB. I keep them because I find the designs interesting but don't see them as ideal users for a variety of reasons. Most of the "safe queens" are acquired on close-out.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

Out of 21 Spydercos I use pretty much all my Spyders regulary.
probably my most used Knives are my Militaries.
my least used are a SB Caly 3.5 - i love the look and the aesthetics of the model, but somehow i do not carry it often. And a very old SE SS police. This one i don't carry often since it's rather intimidating looking and non knife people reacted a little weird when i used it.
Also i've a NIB PPT Sprint in CF and S90V i'll be willing to sell if i'd get the money i spent when it was released and i panicked to get a hold of one so i ordered 2 by mistake :D
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Hi all,

I am new in town here. Long time visitor, never stayed. My bad...this community rocks!

As replied bij others here, there is a difference between users and EDC rotation. I have currently about 30 Spyderco’s of which a third is not used. They are no safe queens but waiting on their turn to be used. Another third i have used but did not end up in my rotation. I navigate mostly to the same favorites again. These are mainly my salt 2 All black SE (carried always), my para 3 s90v, pm2 m4 cf, chap frn, millie s90v and some others.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I love the results of this poll
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have a collection of users.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Every knife gets used. If I don't use it, I won't buy it.

At this point, I have so many that this isn't exactly true anymore. My rotation stays pretty consistent, so some knives see very little use after I initially test them out. I still like to switch things up though and take stuff out I haven't used in a while pretty frequently. My fixed blades get rotated even less, but they still get used. All of them!