2019 Knife Plans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

2019 Knife Plans

Post by knivesandbooks »

So, what are y'alls 2019 knife plans?
I plan on being more moderate next year.
6 knives top. 2 sprints, 2 regular production spydies, and 2 GEC. 1 will be the frn police 4 if it is released next year. No more than $1000, but preferably around $700-800.
I plan on selling some of my other brands.
I want to spend even more time with certain models. I've been cutting down my rotations. Finally figuring out what I love and what I don't. Right now it is the police 4, hap 40 delica, slsyz bowie, native 5 in s90v. Will probably take the native 5 out after I get my advocate back from Casey.
I want to be less picky with my edges. I keep messing with them, always wanting them better, even when they're already fantastic. I'm getting tired of being an edge junky.
Also, I want to find a way to be more involved in the community. I'm not a maker and don't have the means or knowledge to be. I don't know CAD either. Not going to make a YouTube-- don't want to be an opinion mill (not worth much anyway). I'll figure something out, I'm sure.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mako109

Re: 2019 Knife Plans

Post by Mako109 »

Continuing my 2017 plan on curating my existing collection:
- sell those that are no longer useful to me;
- continue to USE my knives (no more safe queens);
- further mod my favorites either myself or by sending out;
- further my sharpening skills;
- add a couple of wharncliffs to the collection (have 2 and got my eye on two others);
- add a couple of 3" gents (majority of my collection are 3.5" and up).
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a few models in mind....

- At least one FRN Police 4. Plan to pick up whichever steel they release first, then see if they run them in a different steel down the road.
- 2x LC200N Swicks. It's one of my favorite models being brought back in a steel I'm extremely interested in.
- FFG Pacific Salt, if it releases in 2019.
- Get my custom fixed blade design made by someone, then make my own sheath for it.
- Teach myself more about sheath making. I've been messing around with kydex this year, but next year I plan to get more serious with it.

That's all I have in mind at the moment.
:unicorn
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Will be working full-time next year, so will have a lot more cash to spend on this hobby, and that will be awesome.

• I want to use that cash to get a yellow knife. Either the Pac Salt or the Atlantic Salt, I'm thinking. And some more copies of the rare old Rescue models I like. And another Endura 3. Maybe some color variations on the Enduras or the Rescues. Plus I'd like to try out the FRN Police.
  • Also will probably sell or trade a lot of my Native models (and maybe my Endura 4 if the Police is preferable to it). They are still super cool, but I've discovered many knives that I like more and that have longer blades which I prefer.
  • Will buy a sharpening system of some type and learn how to use it. Having dull blades gets irritating.
Last edited by embry386 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’m going to try to cut back on impulse buying this year. I started to sell off most my collection already. I’m only going to get knives that either really catch my eye or ones I will really use (like the Pacific Salt 2 of it comes out). I kept falling for the hype of sprint runs and exclusives of things I really didn’t need.
acer

Post by acer »

It is all down to what shows up in the 2019 catalogue , and then a test of willpower.🤪
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I lot of stuff has been floated that if it surfaces I will take a hard look at including:
Spyderco Ikuchi
Endura Wharny
Small Chokwe
Para 3 Lightweight (wire clip?)
Police 4 FRN K390
Shaman sprint
Lil’ Native sprint?
Sage FRN
Chaparral water buffalo
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Off the top of my head just work on becoming a better sharpener, work on making custom scales and sheaths for mules and try my hand a making some knives for myself.

As far as knife purchases micarta shaman if that happens and probably whatever para sprints that come about. Hopefully get some more mules before they all go away.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

This year I only bought 3 knives: the forum Para 2 and two of the super blue Caly Jr. I plan to keep my knife purchasing to a minimum next year as well, as I have more knives than I can reasonably enjoy.

Things I want to work on for 2019:
  • Get some shop space again so I can make handles for my pile of Mules.
  • Work on getting more photos on the Spydiewiki.
  • Sell off extra knives that I don't use (after using them for photos for the previous goal, of course ;)).
  • Get the bolsters on my Persian engraved.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Very much interested in the FRN Caly 3.5 and the FRN Sage. Also, will be eager to see if another UKPK will be released a new steel - I'd like to see yellow FRN and LC200N.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Last year at this time I told myself I had more than enough knives and I was going to cut back on my purchases. Then the 2018 catalog came out, then the mid-year, plus some great exclusives and my plans kind of went by the wayside. I think I added more knives this year than the past two years. I also told myself I was going to thin the collection a bit which didn't happen either.

So for next year I'm going to try to only purchase knives that really appeal to me. That's probably going to be easier said than done because there's always so many that I find appealing. I plan on buying the Paysan whenever that drops. The price on that one should be enough to slow me down some. Otherwise, I have several models I really like. I have more than enough PM2s and Para 3s to keep me busy for awhile. Some I haven't even really used yet. So a sprint or exclusive will have to be really special to get me to buy it and it will likely have to be something other than a PM2 or P3.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Continue to hone my sharpening skills (haha get it!)
Be content with what I have
I would love to get a Genzow to practice throwing
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

It's gonna depend on the 2019 catalog. (when are we going to get it?)
But a Cruwear Shaman sprint is high on the wishlist. Other than that i'll try to keep up with the Para 3 sprints.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'm excited that so many amazing knifes in FRN are being floated!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Focus on traditionals, exclusively GEC. Look for deals on patterns and blades that appeal. Sell anything that doesn’t make me happy. Stay active in this forum which is my knife community.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am going to buy the Native Salt when it comes out and sell my Native 5 LW. I am also going to get the Coyote Urban LW just because. Other than that, I have no plans, but if the exchange rate changes I will buy a P4 and a Kapara.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll probably be selling off most of my collection(already started) I'm tired of looking at the knives, I want more that I can play with. I think I'm in the ballpark of 30-40 knives... 10 of which are users.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I think I'd like to get a Native, finally. I've been holding off for YEARS, because the Delica does everything I need, but blimey that Native geeks good in the hand.

It'll be good to support American workers too.

Maybe a compression lock of done kind; conflat compare it to the Axis lock.
Last edited by Smaug on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeremy
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’m tired of being an edge junky too. You couldn’t have stated it better. My Knives will be perfect all around, super razor sharp too, and I go messing with adjusting angles and such just for the heck of it, and testing performance, retention, just wasting steel, and grinding away perfectly good metal. I’m gonna start making sure my knives are dull as a stick before they even see another sharpening.

Anyways, I’ll sharpen something or touch up an edge everyday just about. It’s become fun, and addictive especially using a Wicked Edge with all the accessories, stones, strops and such.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ll play it by ear. I’ve sold off all my non users and amassed only knives I like, carry, and use daily now. If something jumps out at me I will get it, but we got to see what’s coming next year first.
Josh