If you could only keep one.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: If you could only keep one.

Post by MichaelScott »

Cook’s Knife
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

For those of you who said "Military" "PM2", does it matter what steel? Would you be fine with standard S30V, or would you want one of the sprints? I think if I were to have but one knife, I'd probably want something easy(-ier) to sharpen.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 am
For those of you who said "Military" "PM2", does it matter what steel? Would you be fine with standard S30V, or would you want one of the sprints? I think if I were to have but one knife, I'd probably want something easy(-ier) to sharpen.
I own (2) knives in total, A Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S110V Blurple, and a Spyderco Military in S110V Blurple.

I sharpened my Military in S110V then cut up a pound of paperboard in to tiny pieces, then I cut 378 feet of cardboard. The knife would still shave!

I physically couldn’t dull it to the point where it wouldn’t shave, and I eventually gave up lol. It was a test I was trying to see how long it took to stop a knife where it wouldn’t shave anymore at all. It just kept on shaving, and I couldn’t believe how incredible the steel held up, I ran out of cardboard before the edge gave up.

Even though the knife was still extremely sharp after all that cutting, I just stropped the edge vigorously about 20 times per side. And it was back to hair popping sharp!

S30V is great, but it’s easy to maintain S110V that has superior edge retention. I’ve never even tried S30V either. And, I think it’ll be just fine for even me and anyone else. I’ve gotten a little spoiled with really sharp knives, that are always razor sharp day to day.

But realistically, you could go a year before needing to sharpen S110V. I’d only touch up the edge every week with leather at 19dps, or fine diamonds, or ceramics at 20DPS. And realistically you don’t even need to touch up the edge. You would have a sharp knife for a longtime, with a good working edge.

The factory edge on S110V is really sharp right out of the box. And it will last too. But as you can see, I’m a fan of the steel. I’ve learned how to get it super sharp, I know what it can handle, and what it cannot handle.

I’d say, if you want long edge life and the best rust resistant steel next only to the Spyderco salt series H1 knives.

S110V is all I know haha. So, I may sound stupid rattling on about it. I’m sure any othersteel is great too.

At the end of the day, the knife is only as good as how sharp you can get it! Besides 8cr13mov and cheaper steels that really lose that extreme sharpness after a few cuts.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
embry386

Post by embry386 »

ATS-55 version of the Spyderco Rescue. Perfect handle ergos, awesome sheepsfoot blade shape, long and lightweight, full of teeth. Great at slicing tomatoes, sharpening pencils, and chewing through cardboard.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Military. I love G10 but the peel ply is great too.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 am
Sorta, maybe, kinda Yeah maybe I would pick my CTS 204P Military over a standard S30V PM2.

But sticking with the PM2 (and sticking with knives I currently actually have), I would probably pick the PM2 with 20CV. The Rex45 would be a runner up, or maybe the Cruwear. Hmmm

If the game limited me to picking a knife in S30V, it would be the Backlock Manix 2.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I commented earlier plain Jane s30v pm2 or hap40 delica. I stand by that.

If only one steel, s30v.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Of the ones I own, it would have to be the Native 5 in S30V and linerless G10. I love this knife!

The ones left behind include 2 more Native 5's (S110V LW & S90V Fluted CF), Para 3, 2 Stretch's, UKPK, GB Air, 2 SpyDK's, Urban, and a Delica or 2 in a drawer somewhere.
- Mike

Singing along with the voices in my head
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’d only keep the Kapara, because I’ve become a CRK guy.

I’d only keep the Junction as a fixed blade.
Josh
awa54

Post by awa54 »

That'd be rough...

but PM2 CruWear would be the answer.
Last edited by awa54 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

That’s a great question. Right now, I am always picking up my Manix 2 Cruwear CF. I think it’s the one I would keep if that was it.

I also think the PM2 in s110v can cover just about anything; if I had to go smaller it would be. Caly 3.

- Ward
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

HAP 40 Endura or Cruwear millie
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Tough question, but even though it's not the favorite of my collection, or most carried, if I had to have only one it would be the all black Pacific Salt.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

If I could keep only one of my knives it would, without a second thought, be the Spydiechef. It performs any job that I can throw at it and it does it with ease.

From the LC200N blade steel to the great ergos to the blade shape to the full flat grind, it's just perfection in my EDC that I honestly don't know how I lived without it.

LC200N is my favorite steel. I would pick it above all others. It's basically rust proof and it holds an edge better than other comparable steels. Not to mention it's very easy to sharpen and get back to razor sharp.

The titanium slabs that are the scales are very hand friendly and the shape in which they're machined allows my hand to get a solid grip on the knife without needing a rough surface finish.

The stock size of the blade is just right. It's thin enough to allow precise slicing of soft foods and thick enough to stand up to harder use like cardboard or zip ties. Also, it's great to be able to get the whole blade on a cutting surface without a flipper tab or an oversized finger guard getting in the way.

I have a plethora of other great knives (PM2, Para 3, Manix 2 to name a few) with great blade steels (s30v, s90v, s110v, s35vn, xhp, I could go on) but my Spydiechef takes the cake all day every day.

Thanks for reading :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great info on the Spydiechef. It does seem like a fantastic design.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

It'd have to be the Delica 4.

They don't have the sexy new locks or steel, or super-thick blade stock, and there are others that MIGHT prove to be better for me down the road, but I've got 20 years' experience with Delicas. It's a safe bet.
-Jeremy
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

That would be tough to choose as I'm still relatively new to spyderco knives (even though I'm closing in on 30) and how they click with my daily task. I'd say the Fluted CF Native 5 right now!

James
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 pm
Great info on the Spydiechef. It does seem like a fantastic design.
Warning I am an enabeler. The spydiechef is beyond excellent I am waiting for my second one the Cqi version to arrive. I recently compared its cutting edge to a Spyderco Military and the difference is negligable which is shocking nconsidering nthe size difference.

It holds a factory edge without reprofiling very nicly with just a touch up now and agin on the sharpmaker and it can get wet, it can get dirty and sweaty working in the yard and never rust.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I would have to go with the scenario where i really need a Good knife, so when it comes to edc pocket knives i could get by with almost anything.
I have to choose a knife for those precious few days in a year i get to go in the Woods, Bushcraft is the one( I really love that knife) , it fits my Scandinavian needs well :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

It'd have to be the Police 4.
Its everything you could ever need in a knife, and not that large once you get used to it. Its best trick is that its so slim you don't realize you're carrying it either.
I'll carry smaller knives at work for other people's benefit, or the Caribbean if I go near the sea/swamp. lol. But I'd rather have the P4.