Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Post by JD Spydo »

With Brother Ceya returning to Spyderville I've just come to conclusion that we need to lobby for a serious, high quality, fixed blade Hawkbill. I'm talking about one with a thick spine, some jimping on the thumb ramp, a blade with serious high carbide steel or LC200N. I'm wide open on what handle material but something like a really nice FRN like the original TEMPERANCE 1 has or a really ergonomic G-10 handle>> I'm maybe leaning toward the latter>> but if FRN would cut costs and make this a possibility I could live with it.

Ceya's design is not as much curve as I would personally like to see but if the rest of you like it better I can easily live with that design as well. And his design would be great in SE or PE either one. It should be available on both edges and this would be a Hawkbill that might even be good in a combo edge.. I've actually considered suggesting that in the past on one of the Spyderhawk models if we get to have another one>> We better have more Spyderhawks or the ones that are out there will demand a king's car payment :rolleyes: . I would even be for a fixed blade version of the Spyderhawk or SUPERHAWK with a somewhat longer blade and offered in SE & PE both.

It's High Time we chat seriously about the possibility of a serious, high quality fixed blade HAWKBILL. I'm very anxious to hear a wide range of suggestions on features in the design as well as handle possibilities. Now's the Time!!!
Evil D

Re: Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably buy a hawkbill Jumpmaster in SE just for the war on grape vines in my back yard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm
I'd probably buy a hawkbill Jumpmaster in SE just for the war on grape vines in my back yard.
Hey I like that possibility!! That would be a good model to do at the GOLDEN plant as well IMO. Last summer I had a thread asking for a GOLDEN made Hawkbill and Sal and asked what we wanted in design features but no one at the time seemed interested unfortunately.

But with the great track record that the JUMPMASTER has attained in such a short time span and the possibility of a Hawkbill version of a JUMPMASTER has most definitely got my attention. I bet LC200N would probably be the perfect blade material for something like that. Also to have about the same curve degrees as you had with the past SUPERHAWK model would probably be ideal not only for a fixed blade Hawkbill but would make a great overall design as well. Of course it would have to be offered in SE & PE to please a wider market IMO. That's a GREAT IDEA to start out with :) !!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

The Reverse was pretty close,and it was discontinued.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:15 am
The Reverse was pretty close,and it was discontinued.
Yeah but to me The REVERSE model really wasn't a true, blue Hawkbill in the classic sense IMO. I've yet to get to handle one of those Reverse models>> but to me it looked more like a fixed blade version of the P'Kal more than anything else. And I never regarded the P'Kal as being a serious Hawkbill ever.

Particularly in the fishing industry which was the sector that the Harpy was originally target marketed for would do much better with a fixed blade unit in my opinion. A fixed blade would be much easier to work with a lanyard which would be super important working on a ship or fishing vessel. I can't imagine some of the heartbreak many Spyderco owner's have probably experienced when their favorite model would go overboard :( .

A heavy duty, thick spined fixed blade Hawkbill would be a great tool for many jobs.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Reverse Hawkbill Swick ;)
Pallets beware!!!

A standard hawkbill is still on my list, one of these days I'll buy a Spyderhawk and get it over with.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

aw yes,
I am giving thanks on Thanksgiving for the Hawks that Spyderco has given us so far,
but I'd love having a fixed, solid, easy to clean hawkbill fixed blade for carving, gutting, and cutting the big turkey! :D

good FRN or G10, contoured handle with a hook at the bottom part, not a very steep curve, H1 or LC200N, and some teeth! :o
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Evil D wrote:
I'd probably buy a hawkbill Jumpmaster in SE
great idea!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

dogrunner wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:15 am
Evil D wrote:
great idea!

for the tenth time... :rolleyes:

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:50 pm
dogrunner wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:15 am
Evil D wrote:
great idea!

for the tenth time... :rolleyes:

that needs to be se if it is h1!
but in any case jd has been bringing this up periodically for years
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am
aw yes,
I am giving thanks on Thanksgiving for the Hawks that Spyderco has given us so far,
but I'd love having a fixed, solid, easy to clean hawkbill fixed blade for carving, gutting, and cutting the big turkey! :D

good FRN or G10, contoured handle with a hook at the bottom part, not a very steep curve, H1 or LC200N, and some teeth! :o
I like the pics and the blade shape of the super hawk.

But of those shapes I've handled I can't see it being good for carving / gutting.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
sal

Post by sal »

A hawkbill with a deep curve is problematic on the sheath. Either difficult to deploy or very wide.

sal
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Use a Spyderco hole on the blade, hawkbill, G10, or FRN grips, colored handle that matches the sheath color! Use some thin grips that are almost like a folding knife handle shape. Put the Symbols in the blade like on the PM2, PM3 etc. etc.

And, I want one!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:03 pm
A hawkbill with a deep curve is problematic on the sheath. Either difficult to deploy or very wide.

sal
I can already see the complaints about the sheath dulling the blade, especially on a PE fixed hawkbill. It would take a conscious, practiced effort to avoid when repeatedly drawing the knife.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:07 am
Pallets beware!!!

A standard hawkbill is still on my list, one of these days I'll buy a Spyderhawk and get it over with.
A SWICK Hawkbill :) ??? Now that's an interesting possibility >> actually that would cover a smaller Hawkbill fixed blade>> that would also give us a GOLDEN made Hawkbill and provide a smaller model for non-hawkbill people or beginners to start out on>> I like that idea "SDG" :) A SWICK Hawkbill the more I think about it would be a terrific tool in the workplace. That along with David's idea of a JUMPMASTER HAWKBILL both really intrigue me>> and I'm sure I am not alone.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:03 pm

sal
Well Mr. Glesser would something along the lines of the old SUPERHAWK model in curve and degrees be more suitable for a possible sheath set up?? Also on my old "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill thread ( vintage 2005 :D ) our good Brother "Ceya" presented his Ceya's Hawk design ( it is a fixed blade Hawkbill by the way) and it has a curve consistent with the curve on the SUPERHAWK model.

Even if you all went with something like EVIL D suggested in the JUMPMASTER size range>> as aggressive as that model is in SE you probably wouldn't need as radical as a curve as we have now with the smaller folders i.e. Harpy Spyderhawk ect. However I do admit when working with my H-1 Spyderhawk I have had times when the increased curve did help on those types of cutting jobs.

One more tidbit I could add>> I have an older BUCK linoleum knife which is a really curved Hawkbill like most linoleum knives. It came with a really nice leather sheath that accommodates it well>> you just kind of got to use a bending/twisting type move to get it out. I'm sure there is a practical design which would enable easy deployment with a little bit of thought and I bet there are Brethren here with some good suggestions on sheath design.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:07 am
Pallets beware!!!

A SWICK Hawkbill :) ??? Now that's an interesting possibility >> actually that would cover a smaller Hawkbill fixed blade>> that would also give us a GOLDEN made Hawkbill and provide a smaller model for non-hawkbill people or beginners to start out on>> I like that idea "SDG" :) A SWICK Hawkbill the more I think about it would be a terrific tool in the workplace. That along with David's idea of a JUMPMASTER HAWKBILL both really intrigue me>> and I'm sure I am not alone.
I think a Swick hawkbill with a relatively mild curve would be a great way to test the waters of the fixed hawkbill market. Seems like it would make a very practical knife for marine use. Maybe they could even produce a blunt tip version as a dive knife, like the Caspian Salt.
:unicorn
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

So... what would a fixed blade hawkbill offer that a folder can’t provide? I understand why some blade types benefit from sturdy fixed blade construction, but not the hawkbill.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:34 pm
So... what would a fixed blade hawkbill offer that a folder can’t provide? I understand why some blade types benefit from sturdy fixed blade construction, but not the hawkbill.
I don't at all mean to sound like a wise guy but you could say that about all knives. It's actually quite obvious the advantages offered by fixed blades. Leverage I guess would be one of the biggest advantages. After reading close to over 50 books on the subject of "survival" nearly all of them point out the advantages of fixed blades over folders. Especially a full tang just gives you all kinds of solid durability. Not to mention that a fixed blade doesn't have any moving parts to fail on you either.

It's only been in the last 10 years that I have fully experienced the advantages of using fixed blades over folders in most cases. Oh I won't argue for a nanosecond that a folder has a lot of convenience and handiness aspects to them>> and I do carry folders on a daily basis>> but if I lived in the country I would sure carry a fixed blade more than I do now.

And with the pull cutting advantages that Hawkbills can provide you just have that extra leverage and confidence that the blade isn't going to malfunction on you. I hope I made common sense on that reply :)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have made a bunch of sheaths for Civilians carried in the open position.
SOB carry and sheathing was no problem.